Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went in for service to check out some squeaking in the front suspension

recall notice popped up on the computer for replacement of the right front underbody panel which i've read from previous posts that it may come loose

service writer asked if i had received the notice in the mail yet (not yet) the recall must have been very recent since it didn't show up on the computer last month when i went in for my 5,000 mile service

sorry if this has been posted before, but the search function didn't work

·
11,062 Posts
No, although people have complained about the panel dropping off, we've never had notice of an actual recall before. I haven't receive anything in the mail...will ask about it when I go for the 10K service...October or November.

·
8,880 Posts
Was that right front panel?

The one that came off on my car was in the middle, closer to the rear, a little off center, to the right.

See Undercarriage Pictures

·
Registered
7 Posts
I believe the panel covers up the O2 sensor. Lexus calls it a "campaign" instead of a recall. When you bring the car in they will fix it (free of course) and should also fill your tank up for free.

Desmo

·
Registered
354 Posts
Desmo is correct. It's not an official "recall." My dealer called to inform me that Lexus wants to replace the shield. As I am very close to my 10k service, I opted not to make a special trip just for that, but will have it taken care of during my 10k stop.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by zamscan:
went in for service to check out some squeaking in the front suspension

recall notice popped up on the computer for replacement of the right front underbody panel which i've read from previous posts that it may come loose

service writer asked if i had received the notice in the mail yet (not yet) the recall must have been very recent since it didn't show up on the computer last month when i went in for my 5,000 mile service

sorry if this has been posted before, but the search function didn't work
picked up my car after servicing
the underbody panel was replaced
front-end squeaking - removed the steering rack and applied grease to the rack bolts and bushings

they also ordered the ecu update part #89540-53050 (est. 2 months)

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dealer is referring to the underbody replacement as a "Recall". In fact, got a letter from the dealership yesterday that states:

"Lexus Corporation recently mailed you a letter regarding a safety recall for your Lexus."

I haven't received anything from Lexus yet.

My 5000 mile service just happened to be scheduled for today, and the service department referred to it as a recall as well. They took care of it at the same time.

I also complained about the unresponsive shifting (ECU/TRAC) and was told they ordered the same part zamscan referred to (89540-53050) as well with a three month backorder. Anyone know what the deal is with this...I thought it was a flash. The dealer says no, that they just got the equipment to do the upgrade but have to actually order a chip for each car.

Checked out the IS manuals on the lot too. I really like that lip spoiler with the clear brake light in it!!!

·
Registered
537 Posts
I recently had mine in for another problem. The service manager mentioned that they wanted to do the underbody panel fix too. It was referred to as a campaign, not a recall. This means they do it when they get a car in for some other reason but they don't notify people that they have to bring them in.

They also did the ECU/TRAC update for me. I asked about it when I called for the other issue and the mgr. first said 'no problem'. Then he called back and said the part was on backorder so they couldn't do it. When I got there he said that he was able to get one somehow (something about the parts center manually releasing the parts if they deemed it necessary). Anyway, I am very pleased with the changes from this fix. The car shifts very nicely now, especially under eShift. The little hesitation between certain 1-2 or 2-3 (not sure) shifts is gone.

Rob

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just dropped off my car this morning for my 5k service and my ECU/TRAC upgrade. I was told that there was a service bulletin to replace the underbody carriage/splash guards. Got a RX300 loaner. I will post some feedback after I pick up my car tomorrow. But the underbody panel zamscan originally alluded to is indeed a recall ("service bulletin") for the car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
We may be arguing semantics.
A "recall" is when Lexus actually notifies all owners (by mail) to bring in their cars for a specified repair. A recall can be self-imposed or mandated by the government.
A "campaign" is a service bulletin to the dealers to fix something specific when the car in question comes in for any other service.
I don't think anyone has actually gotten a letter from Lexus regarding the plastic under-shield problem, yet...so?
And besides...not all IS300's need to have the shield replaced. It's only the early VINs...thus, the "campaign."

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Originally posted by BATECH:
My dealer is referring to the underbody replacement as a "Recall". In fact, got a letter from the dealership yesterday that states:

"Lexus Corporation recently mailed you a letter regarding a safety recall for your Lexus."

I haven't received anything from Lexus yet.
I received that same letter as well. No letter from Lexus corporate, but the local service center replaced it for me during my 10K service.

I'm still on the backorder list for the trac ecu component (friendly technical reminder for anyone unclear on the trac/ecu issue: the engine/transmission ecu is a "reflash"/firmware update...the trac ecu requires a new hardware component/chip). I hope they get that part in soon.

Anyone think it's a good idea I install an intake before the reflash?...or maybe doesn't make a difference? Just curious if anyone's had their reflash with an aftermarket intake installed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was at the dealership on Sat. to replace my cigarette lighter(it broke as a result of my constantly plugging/unplugging my phone kit). My service guy told me they replaced the undercarriage as well because there was a "recall." The way that he explained it to me was that when he looked up my account in his computer, the undercarriage recall popped up and that's why he replaced it.
He used this argument to defend himself as to why my ECU doesn't need to be updated. "Nothing pops up in the computer about the ECU problem". I hate Lexus of Manhattan, but I do appreciate that they replaced the cover (which I've never had a problem with).

·
Registered
730 Posts
its funny how everyones trac/ECU is backordered...why is it that my dealer didnt mention to me its backorder here in hawaii? unless no ones getting an update?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I got my TRAC/ECU update about two months ago and I live in Hawaii. Its true that they said nothing of a back order. It could just be that they ordered more than just one the first time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
13 Participants
pandabebe
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing