Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
so I overheated my car on the way to Bakersfield from LA. The car stalled in Gorman CA. After waiting 2hrs for the car to cool down I made it to Bakersfield by going 40-60 mph and without stopping at all. The following day a shady mechanic charged me $300 to clean the catalitic converter and he said it would allow me to pick up speed again. The car satlled in Lebec again b4 going uphill. Long story short I made it to Tijuana by stopping every 25-30 miles, letting the engine cool for 1hr and filling up the radiator with water. But the engine was making a horrible noise as if it was about to fall apart. Once here I took it to the shop; they rebuilt the heads, put a new gasket, new spark plugs and they said it had a faulty coil. Now they’re saying that the car won’t start because there’s no power getting to the coils. My LA mechanic speculates that they replaced a good coil and left one of the bad ones in there hence no start.
BTW the heads job was initially quoted at $300 when I came back from LA with the car making all kinds of noises it went up to $400 and $75 for the coil.
So now I’m $775 in the hole and no car. Any ideas?
Much appreciated

·
3,509 Posts
Check for fuel, compression, and spark. It can be several things. You need to check more things first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My LA mechanic said that it had some type of compression in the block that didn’t let the water flow thru and that’s why it was spewing it back out boiling hot; that’s why he said it needed the heads rebuilt. The mechanic in Bakersfield said that the misfire had caused it to get hot. I knew I had to do a head job pretty soon anyway but now these people are saying it won’t start and they don’t know where to look. The main mechanic said it’s an electric problem and that it would have to be towed to the electrician this coming week

·
3,509 Posts
I would say if compression is good now. Because the head was rebuilt. Then they may not have done the timing right or they may have damaged the reluctor wheel on the crank. Misfires will never cause it to overheat. Also where the connectors on the coils and ignitor in good shape?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts