Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as maybe one of you know, Im biting the bullet an going boost.

I think its fair to say the previous owner, surely had the motor running strong.
Not to say though I also was easy on it, therefore I'm going to be replacing most of the internals, from wISfl6510 sale from a GTE supra, and i am assuming its the USDM.

I have a couple questions that im trying to research on the site but I keep going through link after link and cannot find it.
1) can i swap out my GE internals ("Rings, Pistons, Bearings, Rods, the whole shoot max.")-wISfl6510 with GTE internals an expect the engine(ecu) to take them? or do I have to get a piggy back(which regardless the answer I am going with AEM) an retune the motor? I really want to do all the work I can myself an take this project as a learning curve.

2)Buying a kit used? your opinions on this an how safe it really is, looking into brands such as SRT an TE.

3)For people who had never done a turbo kit themselves what parts of difficulty am I looking at, im pretty capable when it comes to figuring parts out but I want this to be reliable.

Thanks, in advance for your help an advice. I look forward to starting this project one step at a time an learning more in the turbo scene.

Chasen

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
I went to Barnes and Noble and picked up a couple books and turbos, tuning, and engine blueprinting. Pretty useful stuff. Just thought I'd let you know, however I'm also interested in answers to the questions you have posed.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
you will have no issues (management-wise) by swapping the internals. Changing them will have no effect on your factory ecu or whatever management system you choose to run.

my opinion on used kits? You pay for what you get for. Plenty of people have pieced together their own kits with used components. The turbo on my new setup, I bought used. Just make sure you trust the seller enough if you can't look at it in person. Buying a complete kit saves you the trouble of looking for everything, but piecing together your own can save you some money and you can tailor it to your liking. Both of my kits, I pieced together. Just do your research on your power goals and on the products themselves.

as far as difficulty, if you are planning to drop the internals yourself, you have a tall order. Working on the internals is a tedious task. Get specs on everything so when you put it all back together, it is done correctly. GO SLOW! Don't rush it either. Building the motor doesn't take too long, but it's tedious. As far as the turbo install itself, it's pretty straightforward if you don't need to weld anything. It's just a time consuming process but you learn a lot from it. The main thing is to take your time to make sure everything is done right. If you cut corners, you'll just be throwing money away because something will go wrong.

One thing I recommend getting for the build is a Haynes or Chilton manual on the IS300 and/or Toyota Supra TT. These provide a lot of good information regarding factory specs and good step-by-step processes of maintenance (such as removing an engine and disassembling/reassembling it).

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
"Haynes or Chilton manual on the IS300"

I couldn't find one for the IS300, maybe I'm a tard

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
"Haynes or Chilton manual on the IS300"

I couldn't find one for the IS300, maybe I'm a tard
hmmm, odd, I would've figured that they would have one for the IS300 or even the MKIV Supra.

I will see if I can dig up the specs then as far as torque specs for the various bolts and stuff when you crack open the engine.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After staying up till 2am last night, decided mazzuri would be my best bet, the price is right, its also local an I can upgrade small things like larger intercooler, water meth, an get a EMS an have it tuned localy also.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Hhahaha Kaiyan, TEDIOUS, is absolutely right. By the time you go done micing and measuring the first cylinder for specs you get all bored out already because I did.

As to piecing your own kit after having to do it myself I personally don't suggest it, it's just as tedious as doing the motor. You jump from one option to another and sometimes it bugs the living shit out of you. Getting a premade kit saves you alot of time and headache. Although on of the things I enjoyed doing having to piece my own is the pleasure of actually picking parts to my specifications and my liking. And may I add it's a pretty good learning experience.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Hhahaha Kaiyan, TEDIOUS, is absolutely right. By the time you go done micing and measuring the first cylinder for specs you get all bored out already because I did.

As to piecing your own kit after having to do it myself I personally don't suggest it, it's just as tedious as doing the motor. You jump from one option to another and sometimes it bugs the living shit out of you. Getting a premade kit saves you alot of time and headache. Although on of the things I enjoyed doing having to piece my own is the pleasure of actually picking parts to my specifications and my liking. And may I add it's a pretty good learning experience.
yup, yup.

The reason I pieced together my own kit is just that, I got to choose exactly what I wanted. One of my downfalls is I'm a very picky person. I like my brands and I like sourcing my parts from only a few places.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
After staying up till 2am last night, decided mazzuri would be my best bet, the price is right, its also local an I can upgrade small things like larger intercooler, water meth, an get a EMS an have it tuned localy also.

isn't the mazzuri piping steel? heavy and prone to rust

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Correct Daniel's kit comes with steel I/C piping. I simple coating or zoop will protect it from rust.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts