Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've got a suspension on my record...anyone know where i can get insurance for the car that handles people with a bad record?? The suspension actually occurred in 1997 but it only got cleared a few months ago due to some mixup.... :x :pissed:

thanks!!! you guys on this board are great!!!! this is one of the best automotive forums i've been to.

·
Registered
225 Posts
It depends on what state you live in. Here in CA, a suspension stays on your record for 5 years. In the upper midwest states, WI is also 5, whereas MN is only 3, if I remember correctly.

None of that matters really, because when an insurance company runs your driving record, they pull what's called a "10-year." Even though they usually base your rate quote/premium on the last three years (outside of DUI/DWI, etc..or if there were any instances where you caused bodily harm in an accident, or a hit and run w/damage) they will look at past years as well to see what kind of driver you once were.

Your best bet would be to go to your local DMV and get a copy of your record. If there are errors, you're going to have to fill out forms and send them to the state DMV headquarters to have them perform a "cleaning process" which will remove incorrect/old information.

As for premiums...how old are you? What type of coverage do you want? What deductible?

You can get a decent online quote using Geico or Progressive, just for a ballpark number.

Hope this helps!

-Matt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
[email protected]
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing