Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2004 IS300 with stock navigation system and the IS300's with Navigation systems did not come with a rearview mirror with a compass built in.

Since my car already has the power source for my current stock auto dim mirror, any reason why if I purchase a stock IS300 auto dim mirror with the compass built in that it wont work by just plugging it into my car?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Not sure about the '04s Navi-equipped IS, but the '01's without the auto dimming/compass mirror is NOT wired for this function.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response but the 2001 IS300's are very different than the 02+
in this regard as I already have the power source for the auto dimming feature in my 2004. All I want to do is add the compass feature as well.

I just want to make sure that the wiring isnt any different for the rearview mirror for a car with navi and a car without navi.

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
It is not. The compass gets it's power internally, there are no extra wires that I am aware of. If the plugs ar identical, you should be good to go.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Yeah, you should be all right.
The only thing is that you might have to calibrate it after
you power it up.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
seems like a lot of work to get an extra compass. but i would do it, too

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
seems like a lot of work to get an extra compass. but i would do it, too
It actually should be easy. Just plug and play. He already has the autodimming mirror, so the plugs are there already. Should be easy.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
^^ do you have to remove the headliner? someone should post a tutorial if they do it

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
^^ do you have to remove the headliner? someone should post a tutorial if they do it
there alread is a tutorial by Dannknee, I used it when I decided to suede my headliner. It's a great writeup

·
Registered
192 Posts
No need to remove the headliner. You don't even really need to undo the screws on the visor hooks. Just grab and twist off (counterclockwise I think). I've taken my mirror off several times to work on it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Question. Just purchased from, a salvaged shop through Car part.com, a 2004 gray auto dim AND compass mirror.

My concern is that I never purchased anything from a salvaged shop because I am concerned about physical and mechanical condition of the part.

Should I be concerned that the auto-dim feature of the mirror or the compass feature of the mirror was damaged in the car accident?

The guy I spoke with said the mirror looks to be in good shape, just dusty, and everything is in good working condition. But I doubt they actually test these things out to see if they are actually working correctly.

So, would it be a common thing that the auto dim feature and/or the compass feature of the mirror could of broke or could not be working totally right after the accident or since they have been handling it?(say the auto-dim feature dims but not as well as it should from factor like the one that came on my car).

Should I be concerned or not?

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
little off topic,
and search is not being my friend

my compass is reading "--"
i have tried to reset it, but it still does not seem to work

any suggestions?

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Received my rearview mirror with compass today and installed very quickly. Everything is working as it should :)

Now I have the stock Navi and the rearview mirror with Compass feature :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Also, just a quick favor for anyone that has the rearview mirror with compass. Can you please take a picture of the compass when your facing South. On mine it seems there is a dot of the S missing. Not sure if its normal or not.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
tutorial?

·
Premium Member
5,701 Posts
little off topic,
and search is not being my friend

my compass is reading "--"
i have tried to reset it, but it still does not seem to work

any suggestions?
I dropped mine on my shift knob, and now mine says the same thing. There are 2 or 3 different ways of resetting the compass, all are described in the owners manual.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Also, which is very cool. When it get dark outside and the lights turn on the compass automatically dims slightly.

I tested this out by driving in my garage. My lights would turn on and the compass would dim slightly then I would drive out of my garage, and the compass would brighten back up :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts