Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I got my car tinted at a very reputable Tint Shop in MA a couple of weeks ago. Everything except the back turned out nice. Around the thick defrost lines, the tint is not tightly pressed against the glass. Same goes for some spots around the Dot Matrix area. I brought it back and they told me that there wasn't very much they could do about it, due to the IS300's thick defrost lines. They said that the 2004+ models have thinner defrost lines, so it's not an issue with those models.

Now my question is, is this a bad tint job, or is it just the way our rear windshields tint? I did a search and found that some people experienced this problems, while others did not. How did your tint turn out? Tia.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had my '03 done and experienced the same effect around the defrost bars. At night, there is a cascading effect from the headlights in the rear window that takes some getting used to. All other windows look awesome, so it may be just' related to the defrost bars.

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
yeah, mine is also not toog ood up close. especially near the "dotted" outlines. they even redid mine twice. and they tried with a heat gun and everything. its just the is300 window/defogger setup. i think the only way around it would be to have the windows taken out and dipped in tint

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
yea our s500 has the same problem near the edges of the defroster lines and the little dots. i dont know if theres much to do, maybe take a needle and do a little slice on the edge? i dont know, i'm goign to try that on our car.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i have the same problem with mine...02 but, my shop told me after one night, use ur thumb and press on the lines to tighten the gap... it looks fine now! after 3 years still good!.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have the same prob with my tint which I got used to. It's pretty much due to the thick defrost lines. I was thinking of pulling out the rear deck panels to get more room cuz my prob areas are near the speaker area. Another option is to pull the window out and tint it which alot of shops will not do though. I'm used to mine, and to lazy to go back to my cousin to redo then again my tint is only 20% so not to noticable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
...this is the very reason I haven't tinted my windows. I want to badly, but I'm the most anal person on the planet when it comes to an automobile and know that I would be disappointed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts