Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received my rear spoiler in the mail but I find I must drill for installation.
Is there any way to get around that? Do I have to take to a dealer or to a pro ? I defiantly am not drilling into my new IS.

Thanks JS

·
Registered
6 Posts
My suggestion is to take it to the dealer. We have templates and have done a lot of them, so you won't have to worry about it coming off or fitting evenly. I am sure that another Pro can do an equally good job.

·
Premium Member
16,050 Posts
using double sided tape alone will not suffice. Drill it or do not install it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have heard people just cutting off the studs and just using 3M adhesive tape to apply the spoiler
Thats exactly what i did, the spoiler weighs next to nothing... I've had it on for like 6 months now, its not going any where rain or shine. Just cut the studs, apply some 3m there also over where the studs were so they do not scratch the trunk just in case if you ever plan on taking it off. Saves a lot of time, effort, drilling, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
I know some members have gone with the 3M tape with no issues. I had mine drilled, but I had it installed at the dealer. I did not wanna mess with that.

Good luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
If I were you, I would just do it myself... really really...

even if I am going to break my horsy...

coz it is fun!

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
does anyone have an idea as to how much a dealer might charge?

Gotta look for the receipt, but I think it was like 60 bucks for labor.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just went to my local lexus dealership and they said with a straight face that it would cost $375 just to install the spoiler that I had already purchased from l-tuned parts.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
^^ big rip off!

·
Registered
146 Posts
damn $375 thats a grip.if i was u i would jus go with the 3M. i think they chargin that much because u didnt buy it directly frm that dealership.becuase i was plannin on ordering mInes from L TUNED also but then wen i asked the dealer how much it was to buy and install it from them they said around $250-$270 i forgot exactly but i know it was in that range.i asked when i got my front lip.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do dealers have these prepainted in their part stores? I'm interested in buying and too afraid to drill by baby:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a used IS that has the stock spoiler on it, and I am thinking about taking it off.

I am guessing the answer is yes, but will it be bolted on there? Of course I'm hoping the answer is adhesive but now I'm doubting it after reading this thread

·
Registered
246 Posts
if you really want it installed correctly take it a to a body shop and have some one that actually installs painted body parts all day do it, mechanics dont do alot of body work much less spoiler installs, if u want it done right and feel like paying for an install trust me take it to a bodyman, I'm a mechanic and i wouldnt even want to mess with installing a spoiler on my own car, Im paying a bodyman at my dealers bodyshop to install it for me.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
if you really want it installed correctly take it a to a body shop and have some one that actually installs painted body parts all day do it, mechanics dont do alot of body work much less spoiler installs, if u want it done right and feel like paying for an install trust me take it to a bodyman, I'm a mechanic and i wouldnt even want to mess with installing a spoiler on my own car, Im paying a bodyman at my dealers bodyshop to install it for me.
Wayne's Auto Body in Arnold? Tell Mike Chad with the IS300 says hi :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
no the waynes autobody in hazelwood behind the hyundai dealer that I work at, there is a mike that works there that came from one of the other shops tho, is he like 45 and short, starting to bald

1 - 20 of 29 Posts