Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
If you don't have huge arms what I did is remove the two screws right behind the rear wheel. It holds on two plastic pieces on. Once removed..you can stick you hand in there enough to turn the bulb and get it out. Its very tight but that is how it works for me

·
Registered
74 Posts
I just removed the rear bumper to replace my sidemarkers and now I almost regret that I did remove it. A bunch of the plastic fasteners broke while taking off the clips supporting the bumper, so be ultra careful, or know where an ACe hardware is to buy replacement fasteners. good luck, hope your arms are skinny enough if you're going to just reach for it.

btw i just had this DIY open for my bumper removal: http://my.is/forums/f68/is300-rear-bumper-removal-341081/

·
Registered
560 Posts
read the DIY on how to remove the rear bumper. But only need to do the removal procedure for the side your sidemarker is out. Or if you are paranoid like me (and also since new bulbs come in a pair), just might as well remove the whole rear bumper and change both.

You'll need a deep socket 10mm. I didn't have one when I first tried and went FUUUUUUUUUUU and went out to buy one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did mine today (passenger side rear). As jasonm4 mentioned, you can just take out the 2 Philips-head screws you can see from the wheel well, and then a 10mm screw that you can get at from the bottom of the bumper (closest to the wheel). Once you have those off, the plastic guard comes off and you can just gently pull the bumper out and get at the light from either the wheel well area or underneath. I have big hands/arms and I was still able to get my arm in there to turn the socket out. Once you have the socket out, you can get at the bulb pretty easily. The hardest part is getting the socket back in since you pretty much need to do it blind. It really isn't that hard and the whole job should only take about 10 minutes as long as you have the bulb ready to go. The Lexus dealership noticed that my bulb was out and quoted me $150 to fix it stating that the bumper had to be removed. No thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody know how to replace the light bulbs in the rear side marker lights? I cant seem to access them from the trunk nor the underside.
A much easier way is to remove the tail lignts. Open the trunk and where the tail lights meet the trunk opening you'll see two round plastic inserts. Remove these with a flat head then unscrew the 2 bolts on either side then disconnect the lights and that's it for the tail lights. Once those are removed you can access the rear sidemarkers which has 1 I believe 10mm bolt holding it in place. Unscrew that and you have access to the bulb which is a simple turn and pull, insert new one reconnect the tail light bulbs screw in the 2 screws put the caps back on and whalaa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts