Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a couple threads and questions about this and I've been asking around so I figured I'd share what I've found.

For those who have no clue what I'm talking about, the non-U.S. model IS300's came with rear fogs lights so you can push a button in fog/rain and have your two inner tail lights brighter as to make you more visible from the rear. The button sits in the blank spot on the dash on the left side of the steering wheel. I kinda like this option in Euro cars I've had and driven.

Part #8416553010 MSRP- $67.44, (Carson Toyota price) - $53.95
Instrument panel - Cluster and switches - Fog lamp switch - Rear
Rear 2002 - 2005

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To my knowlage and depending on the year there are four different OEM options that could be in those 3 blank spots to the laft of the steering wheel. 1) coin holder(s); 2) memory seat buttons; 3) head light washer button; 4) Rear fog light button.

I know people mount all sorts of different things there cause it's a good spot and most of us just have blank spots or coin holders.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
^^ don't forget start button

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you have a picture of the button? I'm wondering if I could use it for another purpose. Also, my car (US trim) has 2 unused harnesses behind that panel. Is this what one of them is for?

·
Registered
547 Posts
So has anyone tried this and verify it works with only a new switch.

I know the harness is already there. ARe there any other mods required other than the switch?

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
good question silver, i've wondered the same thing for a while...

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
can someone just buy it and see if it works?

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
i'd like to do some testing w/my multimeter before spending $50+ on the switch...

i know the plug is back there, but is it actually wired into the rear? gotta dig around my wiring diagrams...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seven0Three - please keep us updated on your progress.

I also don't was to drop $50 to find out this doesn't work. I was told that the rear fogs are the two inner tail lights. When they're on, the two inner ones are bright. I'm half tempted myself to just spice those wire's together and see if they light up.

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
i wouldn't suggest just splicing wires together...

here's the wiring @ the plug

are those inner bulbs even dual filament? i don't think they are

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
yes they're dual filament

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
cool, *edit - i'm retarded*...

hopefully some time w/the multimeter will give us an answer

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
everything seems to check out, there's continuity in the plug as stated by the diagram.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
cool, man it seems really wasteful for them to put dual filament bulbs in there knowing they'll never be used...

hopefully some time w/the multimeter will give us an answer
Ummm turn your lights on....dim filament one comes on, hit the brakes, bright filament 2 comes on. TADA! Dual filament action.

The rear fogs would simply run the inner lights in the "brake" position any time the switch is activated.

But let me know if this works! I'll order up a rear fog switch ASAP!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sweet, let me know where you find the best price. I'll search around too.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
i'll get my best price at the local dealer lol....ah employee cost...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
share the love man......share the love.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts