Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
specs: 01 is300, 68k miles, stock suspension, 18in rims with fresh nexen n3000 tires...have owned it for 2 months.

when going over bumps/uneven roads/potholes and also when the road is wet and i go over substantial "tar snakes", the rear end of the car feels like it gets loose..like a noticeable fishtail/wobbling back and forth type of feel. this happens when going in a straight line, or turning,. i know this cant be right, so i want to get this taken care of.

i have 18in rims with fresh nexen n3000 tires (which have good reviews). i just installed a set of lowering springs on sunday and did a once over of the rear suspension while i was back there and did not see anything loose or out of the ordinary. the problem has been going on long before installation of springs.

my question is..could being out of alignment cause this problem? while driving my car home from BUYING IT i blasted a major pothole that was bad enough to bend and crack my right front rim. it never occured to me until now that it may have thrown it out of alignment? it literally happened an hour into owning the car so i cant compare it before and after the hit..i have not had an alignment done since owning it and the problem has been apparent since day 1. aside from checking tire pressure, should an alignment be my next step?

what do you think

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
specs: 01 is300, 68k miles, stock suspension, 18in rims with fresh nexen n3000 tires...have owned it for 2 months.

when going over bumps/uneven roads/potholes and also when the road is wet and i go over substantial "tar snakes", the rear end of the car feels like it gets loose..like a noticeable fishtail/wobbling back and forth type of feel. this happens when going in a straight line, or turning,. i know this cant be right, so i want to get this taken care of.

i have 18in rims with fresh nexen n3000 tires (which have good reviews). i just installed a set of lowering springs on sunday and did a once over of the rear suspension while i was back there and did not see anything loose or out of the ordinary. the problem has been going on long before installation of springs.

my question is..could being out of alignment cause this problem? while driving my car home from BUYING IT i blasted a major pothole that was bad enough to bend and crack my right front rim. it never occured to me until now that it may have thrown it out of alignment? it literally happened an hour into owning the car so i cant compare it before and after the hit..i have not had an alignment done since owning it and the problem has been apparent since day 1. aside from checking tire pressure, should an alignment be my next step?

what do you think
Cant really help you out here since I do not exactly understand what you are talking about. I mean like if I was actualy in your car. Check to see if your shocks are bolted properly tothe chassis in the trunk. It wouldnt hurt to get an alignment done, since those are important.

I hope someone else can chime in, good luck.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lowering it more than likely threw your rear toe settings out off alignment.

Next time you're next to the car, go stand in front of one of your rear wheels, facing as if you were looking across your rear speakers through the window. Look down upon that wheel and if it's slanted like / or \, in other words, slanting inwards. That'll cause rear end twitch.

I'm not sure how much adjustment the stock toe rods have, but I bought aftermarket ones to solve mine after lowering with coilovers.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you saw that i said in the first post, the issue was happening long before lowering it..the problem was occurring with stock suspension. and yes the rear rims are wheels are toed out..seems like i need an alignment for sure.

·
Vendor
5,524 Posts
alignment alignment alignment!

Toe causes this, but camber does as well when its put into the mix. I wish i had a cool diagram, but think of it this way. Since you have camber on your wheels, they are basically riding on 80% of the tread at all times. When you hit a bump or go over uneven roads, the wheel recesses into the fender going up. At this point, the camber angle changes from negative to positive and you get more contact on the road. The contact point is moving inward, so the car sways as it goes into the bump, and when you exit the bump and go back to the standard camber angle at 80% tread, the wheel kind of pops back out and shifts again. This is your shaking feeling you are getting.

With toe in the mix, the wheels are pointed outward and cause more of a shift.

Camber kit/toe kit = goodness ;)

Thanks in advance,

Edward - General Manager
1-800-959-0145 ext 2
[email protected]
AIM: THMotorsportscom
THMotorsports - Lowest Price Parts HKS Exhaust Apexi World Sport Koni Seibon Carbon Fiber ACT Exedy Clutch Skunk2 - Homepage

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good to hear, mine is doing the same since i dropped it, im waiting on my camber stuff to come in and ill be in the same boat as you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.