Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Lexus IS300 Made in June.
254k miles
Killed two deer at once shattered front right headlight with the baby deer and momma deers skull shattered the radiator.

During the time insurance said they had to seize the vehicle for damages and I couldn't buy it back I started to pull parts off it. Wheels. Interior LED and exterior bulbs I just replaced. New shift know and cluster bulbs. Rear trunk and tail lights as they were and are brand new condition save for just being old.

2 hours after being pulled and car taken. Insurance adjuster called back and received authorization to let me keep it because of my statement that the Lexus seats for that year 01 to 05 is300 helps my back so its a medically necessary vehicle.

Got to keep the car.

Bought a new headlight set, grill, bumper.

Looks amazing in the front.

Rear section too when parked.

Wires I had cut with wire cutters evenly when removing trunk. Spliced em all back together.

Right side trunk brake light doesn't work. All 4 tail lights do not work.

The left brake light, left trunk brake light and right brake light works. Right trunk brake light does not.

When pressing brake, license plate lights comes on.

When lights are on no brake pressed, no lights are on.

I have the entire electrical diagram, used a multimeter and tested each wire multiple times with brake pressed. Without pressed. Key on. Key off. Key in. Key out. Lights on. Lights off. Brakes on and off with every combination above.

3 of 4 brake lights only turn on with license plate lights on as well.

When not pressing brake in all scenarios, no lights at all are on in the trunk section.

I did check all wiring in the rear. All fuses in front left and right and engine bay.

Trunk lights showed evidence of burn bulb but the bulbs were perfectly fine no evidence on them of burning.

Tried LED bulbs and factory bulbs as I had both sets as extras in case of a burn out.

Prior to yeeting bambi I had no issues period. Car was hugely clean mechanically and cosmetic.

If you have any ideas please share. I've read the forum for about a month for the specific topic with a few buddies that don't drive is300s also reading with me at our shop.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wired wrong. The replacement part form the same year?
Yes, I've been careful when ordering any electrical and mechanical parts for the car. Usually I have to wait for when stuff breaks or goes bad to replace it due to trying to only get 01 parts for it off of salvaged or junkyard vehicles.

I'm currently tracing wires physically from the rear to the front of the car inspecting any for damage I wasn't aware of.

I'll revisit the wired wrong aspect after these last 3 wires.
Purple Art Magenta Electrical wiring Electric blue

Here's my rat nest of rewiring but it works

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had to do a lot with those wires as well. It can be very easy to mix them up and cross them. Perhaps you mixed up some "single gray transverse stripe" wires with "double gray transverse stripe" wires?
Just left my memorial car meet, in a few hours when I get I will revisit the grey wires. I am wondering if its possible a socket could had been on its way to dying as well as its always possible but not recently probable as i hadn't seen any burn marks or hints on bulb or socket when testing the wires or connectivity and current. Per the single grey traverse with double grey, do you mean the white with black strip and occasional grey marked wiring? Or is it an entirely different wire?

Also I apologize my account is new, I had an old one but after a year break from technology i forgot my username and email associated and could not locate this. So for anyone reading this in a few years time. Hi!

Also, Tobias, i checked your Blue IS300 build awhile back. Maybe 2018 or 2019 ish. The Tanabe coil overs Ive debated on getting for adjustable heights. Any clue on these Revel TSD Coilovers for 00-05 Lexus IS 300, Sportcoss

·
Mr. Roo
10,270 Posts
Per the single grey traverse with double grey, do you mean the white with black strip and occasional grey marked wiring? Or is it an entirely different wire?
Ah I'm actually talking about the green wires with various colors of stripes. If you look, you can see silver rings of paint around the diameter of the wire, looking like someone took a paint marker and drew rings on the wires. Some of the wires have one ring, some have double rings. So that's what I'd double check to make sure you got right. I'd check all the wires, not just the green ones. Though obviously the red only has one option, and the white/black all seem okay from the picture.

Also I apologize my account is new, I had an old one but after a year break from technology i forgot my username and email associated and could not locate this. So for anyone reading this in a few years time. Hi!
Welcome back! The @Administrator might be able to help connect/merge your old and new account again, if you were able to remember any detail about the previous account.

Also, Tobias, i checked your Blue IS300 build awhile back. Maybe 2018 or 2019 ish. The Tanabe coil overs Ive debated on getting for adjustable heights. Any clue on these Revel TSD Coilovers for 00-05 Lexus IS 300, Sportcoss
I sold the car last year, and have never heard of "Revel" before, or that website. However, that price point is indicative of a good product (anything over $1000 should be fine), and it's probably just a rebrand of any number of other identical coilovers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah I'm actually talking about the green wires with various colors of stripes. If you look, you can see silver rings of paint around the diameter of the wire, looking like someone took a paint marker and drew rings on the wires. Some of the wires have one ring, some have double rings. So that's what I'd double check to make sure you got right. I'd check all the wires, not just the green ones. Though obviously the red only has one option, and the white/black all seem okay from the picture.
Truth, i already had done all that matching with the silver marker bit. That's why I came over to here. Just wasn't working out. No luck trying different combinations of wires either. Im currently sitting on the fender re-reading the wiring diagram. I checked for any breaks in wires. Saw no disconnections anywhere from trunk to fuse box. Wish Lexus still worked on these without swapping the entire harness out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts