Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent adventure in the body shop world, it appears that the rear door latch wasn't re-connected. It will open from the inside, but pulling on the handle on the outside yields a disconnected feeling and a non-opening door.

After a brief fiasco of fiddling with anything near the handle I also compounded the problem by turning the child safety switch on... and then shutting the door. With the help of a friends slim-jim set I've managed to get that resolved and also removed the inner door panel but I can't for the life of me see how to get into the outer latch mechanism or anything that connects to it...

hopefully its a simple fix but if not then its back to the bodyshop...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Oh man! Haha! Sorry.

Looks like there should be two links from the outside handle that connect to the door lock. The following is from the service manual...

REMOVE DOOR LOCK
(a) Remove the child protection cover.
(b) Disconnect the 2 links from the outside handle and key
cylinder.
(c) Remove the bolt and screw.
(d) Using a torx socket wrench, remove the 3 torx screws and
door lock.
Torx socket wrench: T30 (Part No. 09042-00010 or locally
manufactured tool)
HINT:
Remove the door lock through the service hole.
(e) Disconnect the connector.
15. REMOVE OUTSIDE HANDLE
Remove the 2 bolts, rear door outside reinforcement extension
and outside handle.

INSTALL OUTSIDE HANDLE
Install the outside handle and rear door outside reinforcement
extension with the 2 bolts.
Torque: 5.5 N·m (56 kgf·cm, 49 in.·lbf)
3. INSTALL DOOR LOCK
(a) Connect the connector.
(b) Using a torx socket wrench, install the door lock with the
3 torx screws.
Torque: 5.5 N·m (56 kgf·cm, 49 in.·lbf)
Torx socket wrench: T30 (Part No. 09042-00010 or locally
manufactured tool)
HINT:
Apply adhesive to the 3 torx screws.
Part No. 08833-00070, THREE BOND 1324 or equivalent
(c) Install the bolt and screw.
(d) Connect the 2 links to the outside handle and key cylinder.
(e) Install the child protection cover.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah... its the two links thats got me puzzled... that and mine doesn't look like the pics in the manual... there's no obvious way to get to the handle

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right... so essentialy its just word games. What they call the door lock, I would call the latch.

in laymens terms for future reference:
pop the door panel off: two screws, one in the hand pull and the other at the release lever. yank out at the bottom of the door to pop loose all the little plastic bits... reach under and disconnect window button... lift up and set aside in plain view... get yelled at for odd object in driveway causing a trip hazard for the apparently visually impared

peel back plastic barrier... careful of the gorilla crap, its sticky...

remove two screws on left side of plate blocking access to inside of door...

remove three torx screws from the door latching mechanism... on the very ass end of the door... remove a 10mm that appears to be holding it in place still...

reach your hand into the door and find the inside of the handle and put the little dangly thing nearby in the only place it appears to go in the latching thing... if done right you'll probably have gorilla crap somewhere on you and the handle feels like its connected to something

re-assemble in reverse order... forget at least one bolt or screw for added practice in door panel removal...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts