Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so lexus fucked me........i was in a accident and was told the total amount for the vehicle was 1900.00 so i didn't claim it....i hydroplaned and messed up the right passenger wheel had to have the lower control arm , steering knuckle, wheel bearing, hub, abs sensor replaced along with som odds and ends....i have never been in a wreck so my deductible is 1000.00. plus my insurance is low. Well i go get the vehicle today the give it to me i pay the amt and as soon as i drive the vehicle off the service area I shift it in gear it feels like the rear end is going to fall out. they put it back up on the rack to tell me my rear differential is messed up...ok so i ask the mechanic did he not drive it to find this out...he said the toe was out on that one wheel he didn't wanna mess up the tire..i told him driving it for more than 20 minutes wouldn't have done anything to it..the toe isn't out that much the car is lowered so i have to have it aligned big deal it's not noticeable. btw lexus said they couldn't align it. ok so they were going to let me drive this car on the road in that shape and be done with it. the mechanic said he didn't notice it doing that when he test drove it....he didn't even do a decent test drive :bitching: unreal, so my question is when i do get a new diff should i go stock or get a aftermarket one....first i'm raising hell for this mechanic putting my life in danger and raising hell with the service manager for this whole situation, i wasn't in a hurry to get the car back but was told it was all ready for me and obviously it wasn't....any thoughts on what to do would be helpfu, thanks for reading
brandon

·
Registered
579 Posts
This situation sucks, if you would have claimed it you would only be out $1,000. Now you're looking at the $ for a new rear end too. Anyway, I would look to see if you can find an IS300 at a salvage yard that had a head on collision ,or something, and buy one there. If you're going to buy a new one, it depends on if you're turbo'd, or going to go turbo. Then I would say you mind as well get a Supra rear end, or something. If not then just get a stock one.
This is just my opinion, thats would I would do if I was in you're shoes.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't plan on turbo...i called carson toyota and they said a stock rear diff is 3600.00 but Bobby was going to look into aftermarket diff's they offered...wouldn't a aftermarket be helpful with the torque in the rear wheels and gear ratios's instead of stock....just curious...if it's going to be stock then the dlr is paying for that crap

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If it were me and I had to pay for it, then I would just go aftermarket and get a little lower gearing since this is a good opertunity to do it. But if the dealer was going to pay for it then no contest, take the freebee.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i agree i just don't know what is available out there for a automatic is300 that's why i spoke with Carson's cause they would know....i mean it won't be under warranty cause of the accident, so if they fuck me then aftermarket it is cheaper and most likely better :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts