Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up some brembo front and rear brake pad and rotors. The fronts went smooth, but the rears were a nightmare of a chore. I used a puller to get the rotors off as they were so stuck. I think i should have rotated it to the 6 o clock position and adjusted that toothed wheel, but did not think of that in the moment. I had to fix some of the brake shoe hardware that secures the brake shoes and I adjusted the toothed wheel until it had a little resistance on the rotor and put the rotor on. When I put everything back together and started trying to drive it was like my entire rear brakes and shoes were engaged the whole time. The rear was squealing like crazy. I think I need to rebuld my rear brake shoes, but actually never have replaced shoes before.

Any ideas how to get this to stop locking up?

It seems like this thread might be a something to try:

Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Locking hubs Vehicle brake

Vehicle brake Locking hubs Automotive tire Rim Disc brake

Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the rear brakes and the parking brake independent? If the parking brake is engaged, will the rear brakes engage? Assuming the answer is no. I did see a lot of unusual friction on the rear rotor surface too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it back together, it was one of the parking brakes were stuck. The parking shoes, springs, and related hardware need replaced. Does anyone have a good write up on how to do this on the IS300?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don’t but if you’ve ever done drum brakes, it’s the same.
Its the same, but you need access. The hub is in the way, there is like no room to work in there. Do I take the hub off like this video shows? ugh...

·
Registered
2001 E-Shift, Built NA-T, Standalone
80 Posts
I've just recently done the brake shoes and it's time consuming. I did not have to take the hub off, you just need to put the car in neutral with both rear wheels up in the air to rotate the hub around so you can access the springs and all through the windows. Needle nose pliers are your friend for this job.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just recently done the brake shoes and it's time consuming. I did not have to take the hub off, you just need to put the car in neutral with both rear wheels up in the air to rotate the hub around so you can access the springs and all through the windows. Needle nose pliers are your friend for this job.

OMG, that sounds painful too. Thanks for the info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts