Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All, after looking around I see how to replace the rear 6x9s (thanks) but my question(s) are mostly about speakers. I went to an audio store that was closing and they had a set of Alpine Type R 6x9s, I paid $40 for them. They wouldn't have been my first choice (I was planning on doing 6.5 components in the rear) but I couldn't pass up the price. So my questions start with thickness of "baffle" - Should it be 1-3/4", what size is most used? Also, does anyone have experience with these speakers? I have heard that they require a lot of power to sound decent, true/false? Anything else I should keep in mind while installing these? For reference, I have an 01 with a pioneer deck (don't know the model) standard flip face cd with usb connection : 50x4 I think. Fronts are stock right now. When I buy new components for the front, I will probably get an amp for the mids. any input or advice is appreciated

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If you search for Steven's(ItalynStalyn) write up on the audio overhaul, he gives a lot of baffle info. As for the type R's the stock deck/amp will probably not provide enough juice to push them well.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
First thing first. What is driving your speakers? Your aftermarket HU, or your stock amp?

About the speaker adapters. It really depends. On some 6x9, the magnets are too big and won't clear the trunk torsion bar, in which case you would need a thicker adapter (ie 3/4 to 1") for clearance. However, me and a few others have found that even with 3/4" adapters, we have found problems getting the speaker grill to mount back on flush with the deck lid. When we screwed the deck lid back down, the speaker/adapter was too tall and would pushing up on the grill and seperate the grill from the deck lid. I would recommend trying a 1/2" adapter if you don't have clearance issues, or using a 3/4" to 1" if you really have to. Also, there are adapters for IS300 on ebay. They're around $10 for a pair plus shipping. Quality is quite good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=310020238904&rd=1

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Johnnysks - Sorry, forgot to mention that the speakers are hooked up to the HU not the amp. thanks for the insight on the thickness. these speakers don't seem to be that large, I will try the 1/2" and hope for the best.

bto rok - thanks, I will check that out.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
Johnnysks - Sorry, forgot to mention that the speakers are hooked up to the HU not the amp. thanks for the insight on the thickness. these speakers don't seem to be that large, I will try the 1/2" and hope for the best.

bto rok - thanks, I will check that out.
I'm glad to hear you're not trying to drive aftermarket 6x9's with stock amps!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
this is random but arnt the rear speakers in the is300 6.5s? not 6x9s?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
6x9 all the way.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Front doors are 6.5 components and the rear deck speakers are 6x9.

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
6x9 all the way.
Just so there is no confusion, I was saying the REAR speakers are 6x9 all the way, not all the car's speakers are 6x9 all the way. :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Just so there is no confusion, I was saying the REAR speakers are 6x9 all the way, not all the car's speakers are 6x9 all the way. :D
I fingered as much. I was just clarifying for Jemrey.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts