Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I seen the most ****ed up thing the other night... BMW 325(old body style) with tons of stickers on it( from Racing dynamics to remus)was lined up with a yellow IS300 that looked brand new still had sticker on the upper rear window. The guy in the bmw was reving his car ( from what i could tell it did have an exshaust as the 4inch tip in the rear didnt hide it very well) The Is owner was young ( which I found out after) maybe 17-19. The light turned green and the both went for it, i was about four cars back with my wife looking at the race from behind. The thing is the Lexus had a bad lane and came up on someone slowing down so when the chance came he went right up the rear of the bimmer. The dickhead in the Bmw slams on his brakes ( they where probably tapin into the 90's at this point all I seen was smoke and heard a loud crash.I pulled over to assist the driver of the IS when no one was lookin the BMW owner took off and sped down a side street with no regard for the kid in the IS. Let me tell you this car was gone. I found out later one from the driver that he was leading the race and had to back off due to a car in front of him. When he pulled behind the BMW the driver looked to his rear view and hit his brakes. Contact was made and the IS was the one who suffered the most damage( damn BMW steel bumper).I know this may be one kid out of a million euro owners but what a asshole move. I cant say if his intentions was to cause damage to the IS, but it was obvious from behind he had a clear lane for atleast a mile with no reason to slam on his brakes.... What a dick. To all you BMW guys or IS guys bare this in mind when you race in the streets sometimes ego gets the better half of some racers jealousy.. keep a look out when ridin someones bumper..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Street racing is stupid. Take it to the track.

TracQuest event at Buttonwillow in southern California this Saturday. I'll be there with my 330i. I'll be braking very hard and suddenly...but, hopefully, only for the corners.

For more info on the event, go here: http://www.tracquest.com/

·
Registered
442 Posts
Now what did we all learn from this? Not only is street racing illegal but dangerous too. Then not knowing when to stop racing is just plain stupid it puts themselves and other people in danger at the same time. Sorry but I just don't have any sympathy for the kid. Keep it at the track

[This message has been edited by GPR (edited December 08, 2000).]

·
15,322 Posts
either the guy was a) drunk, b) in possession of something illegal or c) didn't have a license.

does the IS owner still responsible since the guy he hit drove off? (hit and run?) will he have to pay for the repairs? thats gonna suck donkey nuts... i heard if you rear end someone its still your fault regardless. the IS guy can say that he was drving speed limit when a car in front of him was going too slow and he knew he couldn't stop in time so he changed lanes, only to have the guy in the next lane stomp his brakes for no apparent reason as there were no lights and no cars in front of him.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I think no matter how you look at it, it would be the IS' fault. Even if the guy slammed on his brakes the insurance companies will look at that and say the IS was obviously speeding and maybe driving recklessly. Plus you figure that if he was driving "correctly" he would have slowed down to put enough reaction space between his car and the car in front of his. You know that saying for every 10mph you need one car length between your car and the one in front of you, although no one does it but I think thats how the insurance companies will see it. Another this is that the IS is a male under 25, that might hurt him in the longrun of the case. Then you gotta account for what the BMW owner might say also, that could really swing things. He could say something ran into the road he slowed down to stop and WHAP..rear ended. I don't even think a police report would help the IS guy either.

·
8,107 Posts
All true, except that leaving the scene of an accident is illegal, so he'd be busted for that, I think it's a misdemeanor.

Originally posted by GPR:
I think no matter how you look at it, it would be the IS' fault. Even if the guy slammed on his brakes the insurance companies will look at that and say the IS was obviously speeding and maybe driving recklessly. Plus you figure that if he was driving "correctly" he would have slowed down to put enough reaction space between his car and the car in front of his. You know that saying for every 10mph you need one car length between your car and the one in front of you, although no one does it but I think thats how the insurance companies will see it. Another this is that the IS is a male under 25, that might hurt him in the longrun of the case. Then you gotta account for what the BMW owner might say also, that could really swing things. He could say something ran into the road he slowed down to stop and WHAP..rear ended. I don't even think a police report would help the IS guy either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
mrclam
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing