Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
let's face it - most of the reviews for the is300 has not been up to par with the amount of enthusiasum <sic> in this forum.

I'm not sure why. After re-reading several reviews. I get a feeling that most reviewers really don't like the interior, find the 0-60 slower than comparable sedan, and generally consider this car an upstart. However, there are no consencus <sic> to why they don't like this car based on technical merit and not on subjective matters such as the interior.

Don't get me wrong. I'm still going to buy it. It' just that I don't understand why US reviewers don't seem to embrace it as much as people in this forum do. Besides, from what I hear, the foreign autopress seem to be the opposite - they like it. Maybe it's just "something" new and strange. After all, the interior is not as "classy" as the 2-series. However, being 24, I don't really like the "classy" feel - it made me feel that I was one of the (yuppie) herd who just bought a bimmer thus giving me a license to look down on other people since in my precieve little mind I want to tell the whole world that I have "truly arrived" <please no flames, just being sarcastic:-> (actually, I was going to buy a 328; also my friend has a deposit for the new 325 - bimmers are not for me)

Once the "strangeness" <sic> of the is300 wears away, maybe there will be more positive reviews. After all, there have been cars that were not give good press earlier in there production, but later given good press.

The good thing about the is300 now is that you can get it at a discount :) I'm going to get it in the middle of august - I'm saving up for the downpayment. Hopefully, by that time, I can get $500 - $1000 off msrp. I almost thought of buying it at sticker when it "first" came out....

·
Registered
571 Posts
Well, personally, the MAIN reason I like this IS300 is because it's a LEXUS and already has good TUNING ability as evidenced by the Japanese. Because it will be available soon in the 6speed, I definitely pick it over a v6Accord and a TL and a CL. Because it's a Lexus, I'd pick it over a Maxima or a Solara. I really like the 3-series, but if I buy a 328, I'd be too damned jealous of people with M3's.

I realize it's gotten criticism already from the media,especially with handling not as good as BMW's. Keep in mind that the 328 costs thousands more, and for that extra thousand one could save with an IS, a stabilizer bar here, coilovers there,18'' rim here, and voila, a TUNED IS300 with world class handling.

James
98 Integra GSR
Jackson Racing SR
AEM AI/Big Brake kit
...few more...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Japan's Altezza engine in an I4 not a I6 which is what we got. We share the same platform as the NA Supra's, GS300 and SC(300?) But still very tuneable.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yeah, it's strange that the press seems to not like the IS, even though I think it's the best kind of car to buy if want something sporty and maneuverable, yet practical and refined. Most reviews critisize the interior but I don't see any particular defect with it; I mean, I was in an 95 M3 which has kept it's interior styling til 99 (I think,) and it's cryptic, awkward, and aesthetically displeasing in most aspects, yet it doesn't garner the same negative attention that the IS has.

And who said that the IS300 has inferior handling compared to the 3-series?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Reviews may only be used (as always) as a reference since all those guys generally like to pick favorites......and may not reflect the opinions of the general public.

Trust yourself by doing more research....Be your own judge....

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah - being a clone of the (industry favorite) BMW the reviewers are going to be slow to praise the IS300 unless they see it as a big step ahead. The BMWs are already so good that even Lexus has trouble outdoing them...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
8 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing