Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

For a good while (probably since I’ve owned the car) I’ve been struggling with the auto trans in my IS300. As a lot of other 01 owners, I have the generic throttle delay and 2nd to 3rd gear slips / misshifts that almost everybody I know with an 01 has dealt with.

After being told by many dealers and shops, I was told that my trans was on its way out. Not a big deal, picked one up from a friend’s 02 with 50k on it since a rebuild. I put the new trans in and I was astonished at how the car acted EXACTLY the same as it did. I then sold the trans (since it was slightly modified, built vb) I took it out and had it on hold for a bit, as I got ahold of an auto from a GS3, with about 80k miles on it. And quickly after, my car had acted the exact same with its shifting issues (wasn’t expecting it to fix my throttle issue)

I then went out and grabbed myself a brand new ECU. This was after all the obvious; MAF (went through about 4 so far), VVTi Solenoid, Igniter, Plugs, Coils, Filters, etc. and by the time nearly all the sensors and computer based modules in the car were brand new OEM, I searched deeper into the forums to try and get some insight and was led to the conclusion that my car never got the “recalibration” reflash by Toyota/Lexus. After being told by many dealers, it was already done, but I could never get a date or even a year from the guys.

after searching through and through for another 01 ECU outside of the affected VIN range, I couldn’t find anything. So it’s led me here.

I went and got myself a 2 day subscription to Toyota’s TIS, which is their technical database. Come to my surprise the car was never taken care of for the TSB. I called my dealer again with the new information, and was literally hung up on. Frustrated, I decided, “Why not go ahead and handle this myself?” And grabbed the flash files for the recalibration, and got a cheap Techstream and MiniVCI cable off eBay, to find out it isn’t capable of communicating with the ECU via CANBUS, therefore not able to send any data for the reflash.

So I just had a couple questions, is there anything anybody knows about a compatible cable for reprogramming our cars? I can reprogram settings and keys no problem, but not preform the “recalibration”. I’m sick and tired of the way this car drives and even more so with the way the dealers have handled this.

If anybody could point me in the right direction when going about this, I’d love to know, thanks.

·
3,081 Posts
Question, What do you mean by modified vale body? What did you do.
Next, what exactly are you wanting to do? "reprogramming or re-calibrating.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question, What do you mean by modified vale body? What did you do.
Next, what exactly are you wanting to do? "reprogramming or re-calibrating.
I wanted to recalibrate if that’s the correct term. I already have the file Toyota uses Techstream to flash onto the car, I’m just not sure what kind of cable I’d need to get it to work, as those cheap Mini VCI cables don’t have a CAN line or a K line.

It was a fully built valve body by powerdynamix I believe. I’ll have to hunt for the receipt, I got it off a friends trans when he did a W55 swap.

·
3,081 Posts
Did you shim your accumulator pumps? If not that is why. Also the valve body will need to be put in high pressure mode with the shimming.

The cable you are talking about. Will not help. Even the dealer access will not let you change injectors cycle or RPM or anything away from standard. No shift point changes ether.

So what do you want to do exactly with the "re-celebrate"?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you shim your accumulator pumps? If not that is why. Also the valve body will need to be put in high pressure mode with the shimming.

The cable you are talking about. Will not help. Even the dealer access will not let you change injectors cycle or RPM or anything away from standard. No shift point changes ether.

So what do you want to do exactly with the "re-celebrate"?
Ah, I never got those done to the trans so I’ll have to look into that

The re-calibration refers to a TSB that was never taken care of on my car. It’s a dealer reflash meant to fix throttle lag and shifting issues, which according to my cars records in TIS has never been done, and the dealer is refusing to fix the issue that should’ve been fixed under warranty a long time ago.

·
3,081 Posts
I see, It really does not do really anything. When it was done on one of the other ones I had. The lag is fairly normal on these with the 30% mechanical throttle. Changing the lobe separation on the cams helps. But it still boils down to the ECU control. Witch is not changeable.

Do the tranny mods and see if that is more like what you are looking for. Rear-end gearing will help as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts