Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What kind of bracing did you make under the roof so this thing doesn't get ripped off by the wind when driving?
:confused: :confused:

No bracing required... If you lift up the strips that lie in the gutter areas on any SportCross, you'll find bolts already in place for mounting a roof rack. The reinforced areas with bolt holes are already built into the car, but there are just little short bolts with rubber washers screwed in from the factory - remove those and screw in longer hardware to bolt on a rack. There are two holes in the front and two in the rear with one in the middle of the car (which I didn't use), because the Gita rack must have an additional upright between the front and rear.

The rear Rav 4 brackets bolt right on with no modification - I'm really surprised no one has done this before... :suspiciou

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Wow....amazing work bro. I thought of it once before but was never motivated to experiment it. I think you just motivated me......nicely done man. I always wanted to get the OEM rack but it was $700 plus shipping.

Thanks for posting a link to your detailed pics. Could you post more close ups on the crossbars??

So with everything done...what was your total cost without the bike tray?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Wow....amazing work bro. I thought of it once before but was never motivated to experiment it. I think you just motivated me......nicely done man. I always wanted to get the OEM rack but it was $700 plus shipping.

Thanks for posting a link to your detailed pics. Could you post more close ups on the crossbars??

So with everything done...what was your total cost without the bike tray?
Thanks man! I'll post some more detailed pics once I take them.

Total cost minus the bike tray was under $200. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Great work man. Don't know how many times i screamed because i wanted a roof rack. I could never get a Thule or Yakima think it makes the Sportcross look like a Subaru. Many times thought of just taking the hit and ordering the Gita one. But this my friend is a must for me. Travel plenty with the family and this will be great help for bikes and save room in the trunk for other things. I know a lot of you might not like the look, but for me this is more function than form. Thanks for the pictures will definitly had this to the list of must MODZ.

·
Registered
18 Posts
What Year RAV4 Rack did you use? I am wanting to do this mod since they Gita Racks are not available here any longer and i can find A used one?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Looks great duckofdoom. Never was a fan of the doorframe scratchers, oem or aftermarket. I believe you can still order the Lexus oem one below, but I called all over the world and and no luck with an oem Gita rack. The RAV one looks like the best option we have.
Gita oem

Lex oem

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree that the front mounts are a tiny bit off in regards to the flushness of the rubber gasket to the roofline. Because of that, my solution was to use some 3M insulating foam underneath the mount to make sure the mounting area is still completely sealed. Regarding how the mounts line up, they are positioned exactly like on the RX330:
Go on! I am curious if a used rack from a RX would it fit better than the RAV4? If so any advice on years or specific models? I will have to check out some RX's on my way home tonight.

·
Registered
367 Posts
looks pretty freakin good

·
Registered
113 Posts
Great job! :)

I have seen a RX450H with roofrail. The line up and fitment are the same,
very nice find. I'm considering it also.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Looking to find some scrapped RAV4 roof-rails and try this on for myself, but what year are these from?

·
Registered
513 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Okay. It seems that that site hasn't been updated for a while, and they're not replying to my emails. Also, some of the information-links on the right there seem fishy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Okay. It seems that that site hasn't been updated for a while, and they're not replying to my emails. Also, some of the information-links on the right there seem fishy.
in my case the same no reaction on my e-mail('s)......

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good job! Looks OEM for sure.
Now, I have a question for you. I'm looking to get IS300 sportcross instead of my 2003 Forester (it's up for sale). How did you survive your transition :)? Was it more room in the forester or the same? The forester is pretty loud car on highway, is it any better in IS?
How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and I'm afraid I will not fit in a car and my head will rub on ceiling. And if I put the seat to the end there will not be any room for passengers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good job! Looks OEM for sure.
Now, I have a question for you. I'm looking to get IS300 sportcross instead of my 2003 Forester (it's up for sale). How did you survive your transition :)? Was it more room in the forester or the same? The forester is pretty loud car on highway, is it any better in IS?
How tall are you? I'm 6'4" and I'm afraid I will not fit in a car and my head will rub on ceiling. And if I put the seat to the end there will not be any room for passengers.
Good job on the OEM look...I just bought on sportcross and also own a 98forester. The forester definately got more room. You can fit 4 adults on the sportcross but its really tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know there's very little chance of a reply, but do you have any part numbers or any more info you could provide on the Rav4 rails you used? All of the links and pics in the original thread are dead. Any help would be much appreciated! :grin:

Thanks.

Matt

Haven't updated the thread in a while. The rack is still working out great, so I picked up a Yakima Skybox 16 for camping:

Oh, and I also finally adjusted the stance. H&R Sportcross springs, Tokico Blues, and an Eibach rear sway bar.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts