Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had been thinking about this for a while and finally decided to put it together.

I've been annoyed that my SportCross doesn't have a roof rack since I bought it - what proper wagon doesn't have a roof rack? The Gita rack would be sweet, but doesn't exist in the US. Yakima and Thule systems are too big and bulky looking. I wanted something that looks stock.

I had been eyeing Rav 4 roof racks for a while, and finally decided to pull the trigger. It turns out that it's a great fit... with some light modifications. This setup takes advantage of the existing holes in the SportCross roof and looks like a stock item.

I'm pretty pleased with the result. I even threw on a Rav 4 antenna as well.

The kit is sold on eBay for around $150. It's not OEM Toyota, but the quality is good enough. The only substantial modifications needed are drilling additional holes in the front mounting plates and shortening the siderails by about 6 inches. Other than that it just come down to some minor tweaking and trimming rubber bits, etc. Oh, and you'll need different screws than what comes with the kit.

Up next, crossbars and a bike tray!

Here's a link to all of the pictures: Rav 4 Roof Rack

·
Registered
743 Posts
Great job on that! Looks great! My dad is a big fan of Ravs. They have an 04 pearl white Rav now. Great vehicle all around and drives well too btw.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the positive comments guys! I realize it's far from perfect, but for the $150 invested, I think it's a pretty viable solution for SportCross owners looking for an OEM-looking roof rack option.

A for effort but those front mounts just don't line up right.
I agree that the front mounts are a tiny bit off in regards to the flushness of the rubber gasket to the roofline. Because of that, my solution was to use some 3M insulating foam underneath the mount to make sure the mounting area is still completely sealed. Regarding how the mounts line up, they are positioned exactly like on the RX330:

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I think they do have a gita one, but is is like 8 bills unpainted to get it here.

Looks really good I think. I personally like the SportX without the rails, but it looks factory to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they do have a gita one, but is is like 8 bills unpainted to get it here.

Looks really good I think. I personally like the SportX without the rails, but it looks factory to me.
I hear you - I like the look of the SportCross without rails as well, but I just got too used to this:

:p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hehe, thanks man.

Yeah, I'm surprised no one has done this before. The rear mounts bolt right up with no modifications needed.

I'm waiting on a set of crossbars from eBay as well ($40.00). I'm thinking I'll need to hack 3" off of them, but then the setup should be complete - all for less than $200.

·
Registered
21 Posts
damn, i might have to try this out, it looks great! can't wait to see it complete.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I hear you - I like the look of the SportCross without rails as well, but I just got too used to this:

:p
That's a Nissan stagea, I was gonna import one of those. Why did ya post a pic of that again? I'm confused.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Yea man, it's a shame the Sportcross didn't come with as many accessories as the gita did. OEM Lexus all-weather floor mats would have been nice...

·
Registered
1 Posts
SportX Accesories

Yea man, it's a shame the Sportcross didn't come with as many accessories as the gita did. OEM Lexus all-weather floor mats would have been nice...
Funny thing. When I first got my SportX, it needed floor mats. And all they had at the local Lexus dealership were the OEM Lexus all-weather floor mats. Which I liked better than the carpeted ones so it was an awesome surprise.

And the Rav roof rack is an awesome retrofit. I always wondered if the RX, Rav, or Highlander rail would fit the curves of the car. It is nice to see somebody try it. I recently got my Yakima roof rack, and I agree that it is NOT a perfect looking mount.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im pretty sure that it's a subaru forester, not a stagea
Yep. It's my old wagon. It had a nice low-profile rack that I got quite used to. I'm trying to get the SportCross to a place where it's just as functional (since it will never be nearly as fast, hehe).

Funny thing. When I first got my SportX, it needed floor mats. And all they had at the local Lexus dealership were the OEM Lexus all-weather floor mats. Which I liked better than the carpeted ones so it was an awesome surprise.

And the Rav roof rack is an awesome retrofit. I always wondered if the RX, Rav, or Highlander rail would fit the curves of the car. It is nice to see somebody try it. I recently got my Yakima roof rack, and I agree that it is NOT a perfect looking mount.
Thanks for the positive comments! I'll have to check out those mats - my car has been missing its passenger side mat since I bought it :blush:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update: Crossbars and Bike Tray

$50 later and OEM Toyota crossbars showed up. I shortened them, chopping about an inch off each side:

And then I added a RockyMounts TieRod bike tray (which required a little shortening for liftgate clearance):

Project complete. I'm quite happy with the result.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts