Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last night I replaced the front shocks with KYB shocks, and both also got the KYB front shock mounts. Everything went seemingly well (after a frustrating 5-6 hours) but as soon as i went out for a drive and came off my driveway onto the street, I noticed a clunk. I cautiously drove around the neighborhood and the noises became more apparent, it seems like there a rattle/clunking/tapping metallic noise even at low speeds.

I did realize after that I forgot to fit these plates that go on top of the shock mounts. They sit against the car’s body, between the mounting points and the actual shock mount. Could these missing mounting plates really cause that much noise? Or could it be something else? I made sure the end links, and all other bolts and nuts (I only took 3 off) were properly tightened.

My hands are killing me and I don’t feel like looking at the car for another few days, so I’m gonna see if I can get some advise before revisiting that nightmare job.

I’m really hoping it’s just the missing mounting plates causing this issue. Everything was fine before, even with those ancient oem shocks, and I don’t feel like dumping any more money than I already have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Even the smallest gap will cause an annoying clunk. When I attempted at installing lowering springs on my wrx, just one of my 3 strut mount bolts was a hair lose and clunked like crazy. Before you stress out anymore, gather yourself and go back and install those missing plates and double check everything. After that, you will need to get it aligned anyways so have the alignment shop check it out if need be. Side note, I too have kyb struts in the front, and mine are less than a year old and they are pretty noisy going over bumps and what not, not the most confidence inspiring struts haha, and I have a fresh pari of rears and some teen h tech lowering springs I have temporarily put off getting installed haha. I am actually enjoying the oem ride height. You got this!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Even the smallest gap will cause an annoying clunk. When I attempted at installing lowering springs on my wrx, just one of my 3 strut mount bolts was a hair lose and clunked like crazy. Before you stress out anymore, gather yourself and go back and install those missing plates and double check everything. After that, you will need to get it aligned anyways so have the alignment shop check it out if need be. You got this!
words of encouragement lol thanks!! just a little beat up, i recently bought this car as a dd for work and i haven’t worked on any cars in a while, since i got my new one haha. i’ll get back at it and update in case anybody is going thru this as well

·
Registered
582 Posts
Im a little surprised you had trouble with it, as long as you have a set of spring compressors it shouldn't be so difficult.

Which piece on here did you forget? They all play their part . . .

I just noticed the sedan gets that No.3 spring reinforcement plate, neither of my wagons have had them. Wonder why the sedan gets them and not the wagons?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im a little surprised you had trouble with it, as long as you have a set of spring compressors it shouldn't be so difficult.

Which piece on here did you forget? They all play their part . . .
View attachment 133666

I just noticed the sedan gets that No.3 spring reinforcement plate, neither of my wagons have had them. Wonder why the sedan gets them and not the wagons?
i have no clue man, probably bc i was trying to take off the least amount of bolts as i could til i could wiggle it out, but that might have costed more time. plus it was my first time working on the suspension, so it was a lot of getting to know the setup..

but yeah it’s No. 3 (the plate). just weird that the instructions on the strut mounts i bought didn’t mention them at all when replacing. it’s got to be that for sure, i know i didn’t miss anything else. if not, it must be the end links..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It could be that without the plate the tower nuts have a space under them and arent actually locked up.
this morning i got one side done (not enough time), and i took it out for a spin and it seems like on the fixed side, the noise is gone. will report back when both sides are done!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so i finished up the passenger side finally, i got both plates mounted, noise is gone!! also i went back with the old oem shock mounts just in case there were fitment issues.

for a nearly 20 year old car, they were in surprisingly good shape, so i used them. rides smooth the new shocks! next is the rear lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts