Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an IS 350C and I'm getting rattling and squeaks from various parts of the hardtop. In particular I hear rattling and popping noise from the front drivers side of the hardtop right above my head. I also hear some noise from the rear part of the hardtop.
The dealer told me it's a hardtop and there is body flex so noise is normal. I've had another hardtop (Volvo C70) but it didn't experience any noise like this.
Also the noise appears to be happen a lot more when its HOT out. The hotter the temperature the more the creaking, rattling and popping happens. I would think if noise is normail then I wouldn't hear it more during different temperatures.
The dealer lubed the hardtop and supposedly adjusted the fasteners as tight as possible but it's still happening. Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
1 Posts
No! not yet but it sounds horrifying. Your dealer needs to fix this or you should take it to the next level. When a had a DSC problem with my M3 a few years back, the regional tech rep from BMW southwest came down to diagnose this unusual descrepency.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the regional repair guy test drive and attempt to fix it but to no avail. This has been escalated up to Lexus Corporate office in California and the regional office in Atlanta is now handling it. They're telling me this is not a problem and I'm the only one to complain about it. Which makes me think I have a "lemon".

·
27,116 Posts
If you think it's a legit problem... take it as high up and as far as you can go. You spent plenty money on this car... you deserve to have one that is built properly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to arbitration next week. Its very interesting because in one of Lexus' response they said they fixed the problem and in another response they indicate there was no problem found and the car is operating in normal parameters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am having the exact same problem with my IS250C. I am bringing it to the dealership next week to have it checked up on. keep us posted!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am having the exact same problem with my IS250C. I am bringing it to the dealership next week to have it checked up on. keep us posted!
What part of the country do you live in? I live in Miami and the sounds appear to happen more when its very HOT out. The hotter it is the more apparent the noises are. Please push the dealer on the noise and let them know that you know of at least one other person that's having the same problem. Where is your noise coming from? What does it sound like? Let me know if they resolve the problem and how.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What part of the country do you live in? I live in Miami and the sounds appear to happen more when its very HOT out. The hotter it is the more apparent the noises are. Please push the dealer on the noise and let them know that you know of at least one other person that's having the same problem. Where is your noise coming from? What does it sound like? Let me know if they resolve the problem and how.

Im from Toronto and it's never really hot here so I don't believe it's a temperature problem. It's coming from the area above the right window (roof). If i put my hand to hold it, it stops rattling. Now im noticing some sound further down the roof also.

·
What's all this, then?
166 Posts
I haven't had any noise issues with my top since getting the car in June. But to be honest, i drive with the top down about 90% of the time.

I had on 01 Mercedes SLK that ocasionally needed a little Gumi Fluge on the rubber seal around the roof to keep the creaks and groans down, so I'm definetly sensitive to such noise. But so far my 250C's roof has been quiet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have an IS 350C and I'm getting rattling and squeaks from various parts of the hardtop. In particular I hear rattling and popping noise from the front drivers side of the hardtop right above my head. I also hear some noise from the rear part of the hardtop.
The dealer told me it's a hardtop and there is body flex so noise is normal. I've had another hardtop (Volvo C70) but it didn't experience any noise like this.
Also the noise appears to be happen a lot more when its HOT out. The hotter the temperature the more the creaking, rattling and popping happens. I would think if noise is normail then I wouldn't hear it more during different temperatures.
The dealer lubed the hardtop and supposedly adjusted the fasteners as tight as possible but it's still happening. Does anyone else have this problem?

I am laughing. I had the problem constantly with my 2007 Volvo C70. The rubber trim had to be replaced several times. A window had to be replaced to better align the rubber trim. My 2010 Lexus IS25C is silent. I forget it is a convertible when the top is up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone having problems should post their situation and possible remedy to this forum. When i went to the dealer they said they had know of two cases wth this problem; mine and another one, but there was no resolution to this problem. I was even told that I'm just fixating on the noise and it wasn't that bad. When I reproduced the noises with the regional lexus guy he asked "do you listen to your radio" suggesting I should turn my music on or make it louder so I don't hear it.
I go to arbitration next week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed there will be a solution/remedy from this. In my situation they've lubed the rubber seals and supposedly tightened the latch so make the top as sealed as possible. Neither of these solutions have worked. I suggested replacing the rubber seals but they have refused. To me, if you need to exhaust all possibilities, which lexus hasn't done so far.
Also has anyone noticed the rollbar cover in the back seats are lose. The plastic that cocers the rollbars aren't tightly secured. If I touch mine they're not tightly fitted and I can even pull them apart just by pulling on both sides. Does anyone else have this?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey, I have the same problem with my IS350C.

There's a constant rattle in the rear when going over any rough surface. It sounds like it's coming from above the rear window or the rear deck where the headrest rollbars are located.

Also, like you, I occasionally get a rattle above my left ear, and like you it's usually when the car has sat out in the heat.

Finally, like you as well, my left rear rollbar cover is loose, and can be pulled out by hand. You can push it in to latch, but it doesn't stay shut.

Just to be clear, these are RATTLES, not SQUEAKS.

I'm waiting for my 1000 mile service to talk to the dealer about it. I'm glad you posted this, cause now I can print it out and show my service adviser that there's other people with problems too. May help all of us in the situation.

Obvoiusly I know it's a vert therefore understand that there may be rattles (I've had verts before). But, this is a NEW hardtop, and not a cheap one either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When Is your 1000 mile service appt? Let me know if the dealer can resolve the problem. I too understand this is a convertible and used to have a 2008 Volvo C70 but that car never made these types of noises. I purchased the ISC partially on the reputation and quality of Lexus/Toyota so hearing these noises is quite disturbing.

·
27,116 Posts
Wow... I didn't realize there were so many people who had problems with the rattling roof. For sure everybody who has this problem should let it be known. If enough people complain... Lexus will come up with a "solution".

But if people don't talk... like most businesses... they'll probably just try and avoid the situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow... I didn't realize there were so many people who had problems with the rattling roof. For sure everybody who has this problem should let it be known. If enough people complain... Lexus will come up with a "solution".

But if people don't talk... like most businesses... they'll probably just try and avoid the situation.
I completely agree. Everyone who hears the slightest sound, popping, creaking, squeaking, etc should make it known to lexus. Lexus has a reputation that they need to live up to and they certainly don't want it to be known their convertibles make noise. I'm sure there is a fix for it, but if they don't know these issues exist then they will just assume its an isolated incident or it's just an owner who is overly sensitive to the noises.

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
Wow I just thought it was understood that convertibles made light creaks and groans occasionally expecially going over bumps and or in extreme weather conditions (hot/cold) Unless this was a horrible noise that sounded like something was going to break (not just seal chatter) then I would NEVER think to complain. Maybe ask if they sold a lubricant to reduce it but thats about it. Volkswagen actually sells a lube, they also explicitly mention in their owners manual that a small amount of noise may occur as well as small amounts of water leakage around the windows in a pressurized car wash.

Perhaps youre making a mountain out of a mole hill here? Just sayin. I realize your Volvo didnt do it, great. Funny thing is another guy here said his did. Now your IS-C does and his doesnt. Ever consider both were just normal conditions?

You should complain that the wind ruffles your hair and rain gets in when you have the top down too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow I just thought it was understood that convertibles made light creaks and groans occasionally expecially going over bumps and or in extreme weather conditions (hot/cold) Unless this was a horrible noise that sounded like something was going to break (not just seal chatter) then I would NEVER think to complain. Maybe ask if they sold a lubricant to reduce it but thats about it. Volkswagen actually sells a lube, they also explicitly mention in their owners manual that a small amount of noise may occur as well as small amounts of water leakage around the windows in a pressurized car wash.

Perhaps youre making a mountain out of a mole hill here? Just sayin. I realize your Volvo didnt do it, great. Funny thing is another guy here said his did. Now your IS-C does and his doesnt. Ever consider both were just normal conditions?

You should complain that the wind ruffles your hair and rain gets in when you have the top down too.
These sounds could be normal and maybe I'm overly sensitive but when the regional lexus representative heard the news I didn't even get off of the dealers lot and he told me to turn around and bring it right back into the service area. I completely agree...because it's a convertible there will be some body flex which could result in noise, but when the noise is a popping/cracking sound above your head I don't think thats a normal sound.

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
The service rep by all means may not know what is and is not normal. All you did was duplicate the noise for him. Realistically an engineer would need to have it duplicated.

I actually am a service adviser (not Lexus) so I see things like this from time to time. All a DPSM can do is get the ball rolling to an engineer faster.

·
Registered
187 Posts
When Is your 1000 mile service appt?
I haven't made it yet. Will probably do it in the next 2 weeks though.

I completely agree. Everyone who hears the slightest sound, popping, creaking, squeaking, etc should make it known to lexus.
I think mentioning every little thing is a little excessive.

I think you're being a little too sarcastic. It's a car, there will be rattles. It's a convertible, therefore it's going to have more rattles as a result of body flex and design.

BUT.... these are major rattles that are very annoying and unacceptable. This isn't a squeak or rattle due to the two side windows touching (due to no b-pillar). Nor is it a rattle due to the top touching the header panel. Both of these would be something I'd consider "normal" as a result of design.

But, there's a constant rattle in the rear whenever there's a less than perfectly smooth road. To me, this is unacceptable given the Lexus reputation and quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't get mine until the middle of the week but I'll be listening and keeping an eye on this thread. I'm not sure I've got the best ear though - I've been driving a Mini soft top for the last 4.5 years ;)

One thought I have on the issue: I read a review (can't remember which) that talked about the flex in this car vs the sedan, especially evident at the cowl. I noticed and F underbody brace. I wonder if that would stiffen the car and help to minimize this?

Good luck to all those who have problems.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts