Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone has difficulty in justifying the higher cost of the RWD IS300 over FWD sporty cars, I suggest that one check out an IS300 service manual with the car on a lift. Likewise, do the same with any FWD sporty car.

Call me strange, but I feel that calling oneself an enthusiast implies more than just a superficial understanding of cars. A car is not a "black box". It's low-tech and very much within the grasp of us normal folk.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well the Lexus IS300 is primarily aimed at the Audi A4 2.8 Quattro which bases $1335 more than the IS300... The BMW 330i bases $3185 higher and the Mercedes Benz C320 soars past the IS300 basing at $6145 more than the IS base price. I know that this doesn't really doesn't address your question but the cars I mentioned are the primary target for Lexus......... The front drive competitors like the Infinity I30T, Acura 3.2TL, Mitubushi Diamanti etc are best compared with the front drive ES300 Lexus....
Eric....

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
plus the base is300 already come with many features already equipped, whereas if you get a bimmer you 'll have to add all these overpriced options which will result in a much higher price.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
$42,830<-- this is the msrp of bmw 330i with the same option as my IS300. (except for memory seat)

8000 dollars more than my IS300 msrp.

geez, I wonder which one I would buy.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chromaplast & EricK: Exactly. My point against our trolls lies in the implication.

It's just a rant, approaching a bait. The intention wasn't to hook the better posters amongst us, but hey, I'll take whatever I can get.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
if there's any reason i'd get an is300, i'd think it to be value and bang for the buck. bmw is quite expensive whereas the is300 is a great car for the money you pay.

·
8,107 Posts
SIx months ago, I thought the IS300 was overpriced, being $34,500. Now that they discount down to $32,000 or less, I don't think it's such a bad deal anymore. At $30,000 (5 speed will be cheaper), it becomes a bargain compared to BMWs.

Originally posted by mrclam:
if there's any reason i'd get an is300, i'd think it to be value and bang for the buck. bmw is quite expensive whereas the is300 is a great car for the money you pay.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
at 34.5 it was fully loaded right? i know back in may(arond hwen the is300 was released, like two months before) the 328 fully loaded was 40k and is VERY CLOSE to the IS in performance. it hink with equal drivers a 330 can best the IS but the 328 i dont' know....i think it will be a lot closer. that's just how i look at it. the IS's styling just didn't do it for me and i'd rather have the m, so i got it...but yeah, i think you'd have to be a fool to think the IS was a bad deal....

Originally posted by ckolsen:
SIx months ago, I thought the IS300 was overpriced, being $34,500. Now that they discount down to $32,000 or less, I don't think it's such a bad deal anymore. At $30,000 (5 speed will be cheaper), it becomes a bargain compared to BMWs.

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
a sales man at my dealership told me 2002 model might b marked up..meaning manual would cost as much as auto right now..and auto would be marked up...you guys heard anything about that???

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think this would be a mistake on Lexuses part, but it may be true. From what I understand Lexus will address all of the gripes non-buyers have said for the reasons they didn't buy one. With that, Lexus may be assuming by adding the manual and addressing those gripes people will feel like the price right where it is may be justified.

Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
a sales man at my dealership told me 2002 model might b marked up..meaning manual would cost as much as auto right now..and auto would be marked up...you guys heard anything about that???

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts