Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not just flat black, anodized aluminum flat black. You know the one. I think to myself: how can I get this same look on my car? Well, what if it was aluminum? It could be anodized if it was aluminum.

Turns out, you can aluminum plate steel seemingly straightforwardly with "thermal spraying" processes. Electricity, aluminum wire, patience and the right amount of crazy are all just down the street from me. It would be a lot of work to strip completely down, but would look fantastic in the end. And provide amazing corrosion protection to boot; effectively last forever, just don't scratch it too badly.

IIRC, you can use organic pigments to color the anodizing process, so you aren't limited to black.

Worth a deeper look?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't know the in depth info about the whole process of thermal spraying, but from what i have read it is still a line of sight process, so you are still going to have trouble reaching some areas successfully. That being the case it isn't going to give you the protection you are thinking in the gaps.

Another thing to consider is the difference in thermal expansion between the 2 dissimilar metals means there is a risk the outer coating will form microcracks over time (especially if it is hard and brittle), leading to eventual oxidation of both materials.

Then there is the anodising to consider, being an electrical discharge process you will struggle to find a bath big enough to make it effective. And from my experience you cant always guaranty a perfect finish with some anodising, so with the risk of introducing contaminants into the bath in the cracks and voids and the large flat surface area you will have more chance of defects (typically look like clear circle or blob in the middle of your otherwise perfectly coated panel.

If you are after that kind of look I would imagine you would be better off looking for a wrap with a similar finish and colour. Probably cheaper to get one custom made just for you than trying to go down that process.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts