Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Couple days ago I felt lost in power and heard my valves knocking. Today when I started my car (2001 IS300 200000Km) I was feeling that engine was vibrating, it feels like one or more cylinders are not working. I tried to read codes with obd computer and it gave me code saying random misfire. I did check my spark plugs, wires , coils and compression. Everything looks fine, last year I changed spark plugs, wires, and coils. What else it possibly can be? My local mechanic said that it might be cheaper to replace the engine then to find the problem...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there anyway to check injectors than replace them??

·
Registered
338 Posts
Disconnected vaccum tubes will not cause p0300s. Anyway to have inejectors check is one to make sure you are getting a signal at the injector harness with a noid light. And secondly you take it to a shop that can flow/bench test the injectors.

BUN

·
Registered
836 Posts
but i disagree, one day after using sea foam through my vacuum tube my cel came on, so i drove to autozone and got a obd reading. i got about 4 p0xxx codes(misfires) and the autozone dude looked it up, one of the reasons was insecure vacuum tube. So i snuggly refit my tube and reset the ecu and everything was good again

·
Registered
338 Posts
A mutiple amount of codes can lead you to diagnose a problem that isn't originally related to the codes you get from the scanner. A cingular code leads you straight to the problem, ecxept in obd1 cases.

BUN

·
Registered
336 Posts
Are you losing any coolant? Have you overheated the car recently? Absolutely check the injectors but it's also possible a bad head gasket could allow coolant into the combustion chambers and cause mis-fires too. I've seen that happen for sure.

I would disagree with your mechanic that it's cheaper to replace the engine than it is to fix the problem. Even if it was a blown head gastket I bet it would be cheaper to replace the gasket than the engine. Sure it's a REAL PITA... but so is pulling all the accessories off and the engine out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
number of things to consider : spark plugs wires - do a compression test or a leak down test; too little fuel can also cause misfire; check also the head gasket.

A friend of mine had that problem before, it was because of its spark plug wires and a broken head gasket.

I hope you'll able to find/solve it soon. Its quite expensive when car is having trouble just like what happened to my car a weeks ago, I have to replace some of the auto body parts and wait for a couple of days before I can get my car and use it. *sighs*

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think one of your coil pack is not work properly, i had a misfire once. I just had to replaced the coil pack, problem was solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts