Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunatly my second thread is starting off with my running over a curb. Long story short I ran over a curb going about 15. Bad weather + trying to avoid something in a dumb way led to this. I ended up scrapping up the bumped, scrapping the bottom of the gas tank a bit, and squashed the tip of the muffler some to give you all an idea of how hard it was.

After moving the curb, I took it away and noticed the steering wheel was shaking pretty good. I was hoping it'd just need an alignment so I took it to get this done. They said no control arms were bent and everything "looked" alright.

My only conclusion from this could be that I busted some tie rods. With that said, how do you tell whether you've busted an inner or outer tie rod? And, do you all think this might be it, or anything else I could take a look at? I'm not super familiar with these cars since my life has been spent in the DSM world.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did you check the wheel(s) to see if they were bent. I would have thought they would have checked this when you got an alignment. Maybe the tires lost one or two of the weights from the impact of your crash (this happened to me once). Again though, they should of checked this before they did the alignment. I would take off your wheels and look over the suspension components again.

As for the bent exhaust tip, I rarely see an IS300 without a bent or slightly indented at the bottom exhaust tip, that goes for mine to. It just hangs too low for some bumps and seems to scrape before the bottom of the car does. Grrr. :(

Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buckwilly, I'll definitely check out to see if any weights popped off. I'm pretty sure they didn't. The shop was trying to say it could be possible that a belt in the tire moved??? Which was just ridiculous to me.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, if that is the case, switch the curbed wheel/tire with the spare wheel/tire in your trunk, if the shaking goes away, its something with the curbed wheel/tire. If the shaking continues after you switched with the spare, its suspension related. Process of elimination. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually just typing the same exact thing to my brother at the same tiem :). I'll give an update on Thursday.

·
Registered
338 Posts
A belt shifting in the tire will cause the car to pull to one side but not shake. A lost wheel weight will cause vibrations at higher speeds and not so much at lower speeds. A bent wheel will cause the vibrations you are talkin about though. If you went to a good shop before they even did an alignment they should have checked the front end for loose bearings, bushings, balljoints, tie rod ends, etc. But as far as how to check the inner or the outer, jack the car up. Have a friend push the wheel side to side and see if there is any movement. Once you do see movement get under the car and have you friend move the wheel again. Watch to see if the movement comes from within the boot on the rack or the nuckle on the hub where the outter rod bolts onto the hub. Shake up and down to also check for bearing and ball joint and the idea is the same.

BUN

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
If you had a broken tie rod you would not be able to drive the car. end of story. You could have a loose rod end but chances are you have a BENT wheel(s) and yes possibly tire issues as well. have a shop take the wheels off and spin them on a tire balancing machine. you will know in about 2 seconds if a wheel is bent. If the wheel checks out and no suspension components are loose then you may have an internal tire issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All very helpful posts. I've been able to drive it (forced to) during the week. The shaking is apparent from about 10-mph and up. I'm starting to lean more towards a bent rim, but I can finally work on it on Saturday so I'll post back my lesson learned :blush:.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I ended up doing all my brakes along with fixing the issue on Saturday. Turned out I bent the inside of my driverside rim. Checked everything out and it all seemed okay. Car is riding good again :). Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sweet...I bet you used the spare as a replacement.

or, if that happened to me. You could tell your wife (if you have one)the wheel is bent so now you need to buy 18" aftermarket wheels. Something forged to make sure this NEVER EVER happens again.

LOL.

·
Premium Member
23,314 Posts
Forged does not make a wheel bend proof it just makes it mroe expensive to replace in the event of. They resist flexing in extreme performance conditions not bending when yoo-hoos run over curbs and massive potholes

·
Registered
62 Posts
hey! i'm not a yoohoo! i bent my rim when I was going to PT earrrrrrrrrly in the morning and hit a "bump" in the road when the physical plant at UGA decided to tear up a road and not put signs where they stopped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts