Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I was jacking off the dog to feed the cat... But seriously, Norwalk Raceway in Norwalk, Ohio held the Sport Compact Nationals and DSM Shootout this weekend. We went up on Friday night, pitched tents and dug in for the weekend. The car was running well still on 7psi. My best ET so far was a 13.3 at 107mph at Milan Dragway in MI. Anyone that has driven on these two tracks will know that Milan is not the greatest track in the world but Norwalk however, may be right up there. I was really hoping to turn a new personal best. The starting line at Norwalk is known for taking your feet out of your shoes if you walk across it and I was figuring to get my 60 ft times down where they should be and turn the quite elusive to me deep 13 to high 12 second pass. Weather conditions were ideal Friday night at around 75 degrees when test and tune started at 5pm and the weather man calling for a low of 55 that night. So now for the good part. My first pass I was paired with a 35th anniversary Mustang GT compete with Vortech SC. As I was pulling up to the starting line I was getting snickered at by the rednecks lined up next to the track. My buddy who was standing next to the start line told me later that one guy said "Wow this should be a reeal good race. A Mustang against a four door Lexus? Why do these rice burners waste their money?!!?" Lets just say that he ate his words when the Mustang couldn't get past my driver side door. Ran a 13.6 after bogging at the before mentioned sticky start line. As the night went on, I got a little better at the line turning a number of consistent 13.5's with 60's around 2.2 and I chalked up the loss of a few tenths on my ET to the increased weight of my summer wheels that I was not running on my 13.3 pass and lack of the carbon fiber hood that was also saving me quite a bit of weight before. Saturday morning came around and time trials started at noon. Temps were up about 10 degrees over the night before and my consistent 13.5's turned into 13.6's. The time came for bracket eliminations and I dialed in at my 13.6 that I had been running all day. I bogged out the hole in the first round and got flustered and missed 2nd gear and ran a 14.00. Luckily for me, the guy next to me ran even worse, and I still managed to advance to the next round. In round number 2, I was paired with a 1G Talon sporting a dial in of 14.7. He left the line, my tree started to run, and I proceeded to hawk him down. By the end of the track I had a half a car on him and and stuffed the brakes to keep from breaking out. He came up beside down the runout lane and gave me the thumbs up conceeding the loss and we pulled around to the slip shack. Much to my dismay, the slip read to the tune of a double breakout with me being at the disadvantage! Now I am plagued with the speculation of what the ET would have been if I hadn't breked to avoid the breakout. Heres a rundown of my timeslip from said pass. Fell free to speculate with me on what the ET would have been if I had stayed in it. Enjoy.

R/T- .528
60'- 2.092
330'- 5.705
1/8- 8.681
MPH- 83.05
1000' 11.246
1/4 ET 13.462
MPH- 95.78

·
Registered
466 Posts
good to see that you still have your car :D Nice E/T's

·
Registered
441 Posts
craniac24 said:
Sorry...I'm not well versed in these things. What does "stuffed the brakes to keep from breaking out" mean?
He hit his breaks before crossing the finish line sensors to avoid running a lower E.T. then he had stated beforehand ("dialed-in").

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
ro-lex said:
craniac24 said:
Sorry...I'm not well versed in these things. What does "stuffed the brakes to keep from breaking out" mean?
He hit his breaks before crossing the finish line sensors to avoid running a lower E.T. then he had stated beforehand ("dialed-in").
Why would he want to do that?

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
craniac24 said:
ro-lex said:
craniac24 said:
because he was doing braket racing. This means that b4 he races he puts in a time(or dials it in) eg 14.7 when he races he as to get as close as he can to that number without going fast that that number.

·
Registered
839 Posts
craniac24 said:
ro-lex said:
craniac24 said:
While competing in bracket racing, you want to get as close to your dailed in time as possible without going faster than what you dailed in at.

So if he dialed in a 13.5, if he ran a 13.501, then assuming his reaction time was good, there would be no way for the other guy to beat him because the other guy would have to run his exact time that he dialed in, in order to win. Once again, this assumes that the reaction times were the same (different subject).

Now to answer your question. Since Pointer ran under his time and beat his competitor to the finish line, that means the other guy won because the other guy might have run faster than his dialed in time also, but ran under by less than Pointer.

Example:
Dialed-in Time #1 (Competitor): 14.7
Actual Time (Competitor): 14.60...under by one tenths of a second

Dialed-in Time #2 (Pointer): 13.6
Actual Time (Pointer: 13.45...under by 1.5 tenths of a second -HE LOOSES-

Make sense?

So then why did Pointer brake when he passed the competitor? When you are the faster car, usually when you pass the other car, that means that you beat his reaction time at the light and are running closer to your dialed in time, so you slow down to keep yourself just ahead of the competitor so you don't risk running under your dialed in time.

Pointer found the example of when that doesn't work...when both racers are running under, you want to make sure that the competitor is the first one across the finish line (Traps), making him run more under his time...but it is hard to realize that you are running under your time.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct. The guy in the Talon dialed in at 14.70 and his E/T was a 14.608. He didn't break out as bad as I did so he wins and I lose.

·
Premium Member
5,684 Posts
Damn, Brian...

I was wondering what happened. I missed your last run, and when I went to the staging lanes, I didn't see you. Soooo, I figured you had lost. :(

I found your car later, but you were nowhere to be found.

Was alot of fun though. I am sure I will run next year. I ran the next day (yesterday) at Quaker City Raceway. I got 5 passes in, of which 3 were against NattySlide in his 5speed IS. I beat him all 3 times (sorry Natty :D ), although he would have beaten me on our last run had he not missed 3rd...

0ur R/Ts were terrible... had never run Pro tree before...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Good to see you hit the track with your turbo IS. Considering you run 13.5's with 2.2 60ft's and you managed a 2.0 in the last run, Im afraid to say it but that was at least a 12.99 sce pass. :eek:

Normally you take off .2sec (usually a little more) off the 1/4 when you drecrease your 60ft by .1secs. Eventhough you ran 12mph slower (95 vs 107), you braked at the very end, not affecting much your et, but enough for at least 1-1.5 tenths. That my friend would put you in the 12 sec range. Thats the only thing I hate about braket racing, leaves you with a doubt when your still testing out a car.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
<bpointer>

Congrats!
Refresh my memory...what kit do you have?

Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Yes, I agree with Cariza, definitely would have been in the 12.90s with your 2.0 60ft. I believe your traps would have been 105-108 range depending on where you stuffed the brakes. Are you sure just 7psi? That is mighty impressive for such low boost. Did you use race gas?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yup just 7psi. No race gas. I beat the car like a red headed step child. Never lift off of the gas. My buddies say it sounds like an auto with a manual valve body. :D Wastegate never closes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts