Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I went ahead and put RallyArmor mudflaps on my SportCross because I felt like it.
Only rears today. Fronts sometime later.

The buggers are universal UR (Polyurethane) ones and are a bitch to put on with the stock wheel lining fasteners.

The puny stock mudflaps:

The new, wide and (for now) shiny ones:

Stock flaps have left some dirty marks. Gotta clean them off at some point.

New and old

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
I was looking into doing this to my sedan. PM'd you

Do you have pics of what the old mudguards looked like?

·
Registered
723 Posts
They look ok on the sportcross. I wouldn't dare put these on my sedan. These mud flaps are very common with the Subaru owners.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I tried these on my sedan...... I personally didn't care for them. They just don't fit the car, IMO. They look good on subies, but I wasn't a fan. Plus, I wasn't able to see the meaty tires I have in the back very well. :(

I will say they look much better on the Sport-x.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
I see them on subies and they look aight. If i was to do it, i would make the flap come to a point with the body. Basically, removing the small angle that you see. I would also, trim the inside and remove about an inch of the material to make it look a little different. However, i rather have mudguards.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Just to add. Is it possible to trim off 2"? I went onto their site and they say not to modify it, but just curious if it can. 12" is more than i want for this style, or any style :lol:

I think this is going to grow on me, but we will talk more through pm's

·
Registered
890 Posts
Just to add. Is it possible to trim off 2"? I went onto their site and they say not to modify it, but just curious if it can. 12" is more than i want for this style, or any style :lol:

I think this is going to grow on me, but we will talk more through pm's
Yeah, for the short time I'd had them installed, I'd trimmed them. No issues. I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Probably this vvv

Attachments

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Yeah, for the short time I'd had them installed, I'd trimmed them. No issues. I don't see what could possibly go wrong.

Probably this vvv
:lol: How did you have them installed; have pics?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have pics of what the old mudguards looked like?
Ask and ye shall receive..
The rears are quite visible on the first post as a before and after shot, but here are some more.

From winter-mode:

One of the fronts look like this.

So yeah. Their performance during winter time was inadequate for my tastes, so that's also one of the reasons I'm going RallyArmor.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
You asked if they could be cut. I guess they can. However, after mounting them (should have done it before), I trimmed a little bit on the inside where they hit my muffler and they are ridiculously hard core. Drilling into them with my drill to make mounting holes was hard enough, but trying to cut them (with scissors) is damn near impossible. I managed to get the piece out that I wanted but this polyurethane material they're made of is extremely durable. These are the UR mudflaps, mind you. They sell a cheaper version too that's probably easier to cut and might be plenty enough for your climate.

Regarding width, I want as much as possible without it sticking miles out from the side of the car. Meeting "at a point" where the car body meets the tire sidewall, so to speak, would mean the mudflaps sat way too high to have an effect.
Also, notice that sitting like this...

... the mudflaps JUST cover the wheels' outer side. And these are 7.5 width with ET47, so nothing huge.

Another good thing about the width is that it allowed me to use fasteners way inside the wheel well.

The stock mudflaps basically only sit along the outer side (and one from underneath, but still close to the outer side).

·
Registered
890 Posts
You asked if they could be cut. I guess they can. However, after mounting them (should have done it before), I trimmed a little bit on the inside where they hit my muffler and they are ridiculously hard core. Drilling into them with my drill to make mounting holes was hard enough, but trying to cut them (with scissors) is damn near impossible. I managed to get the piece out that I wanted but this polyurethane material they're made of is extremely durable. These are the UR mudflaps, mind you. They sell a cheaper version too that's probably easier to cut and might be plenty enough for your climate.
Good catch. I should probably note that the ones I used are the cheapies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So yeah. Their performance during winter time was inadequate for my tastes, so that's also one of the reasons I'm going RallyArmor.
Sorry to necro this thread 4 years after it was posted, but I was curious about your thoughts regarding the RallyArmor winter performance. We have nothing installed currently and the winter snow/sludge buildup in the wheel wells can be atrocious - do you feel that the mud flaps helped with that at all, or were they just intended to help protect the paintwork aft of the wheels?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts