Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont post that often, but i read alot. I regret to post this. Yesterday it was raining down here and i didnt realize my tires that that bald (mainly on the inside because of camber). As i was coming up on the on ramp i hydroplained going about 40mph, i didnt even make it on the highway it self. I spun around and slid backwards into a highway sign, amost made it though. The tow truck guy is new and stupid, he backed his truck into the grass and got stuck himself. we were there for about 2 1/2 hours in the rain. I love this car (and was starting to peice together a turbo kit) but it has been nothing but bad luck for me so after it is fixed i am going to sell it. I know that this was my fault. Here are some pix sorry it was a camra phone

Attachments

Reactions: JG1985

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Ah I sort of know how it feels to ride on bald or near bald tires in rain. I got my tires 3 days after one near scary expirience.

Glad your ok, it looks fixable.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
you slid that far and were only doing 40mph ?

im glad you werent hurt but i smell BS on your speed

·
Registered
10 Posts
ouch. last time i spun like that i was doing 60-65 in my civic a few years back. ended up nearly the same way, except there was no sign for me to smash into, only more grass and mud.

sucks, but it's good you're alright.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Glad you are okay but... this is just like driving in the snow with summer tires.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Ouch... bad luck! Hopefully this won't happen to you again.

On a side note... this is a hilarious pic!

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Glad you are okay but... this is just like driving in the snow with summer tires.
Yeah... tires make a huge difference. I remember driving on the highway before with old nearly worn out tires in the rain. I remember I hydroplaned for a second... it felt like like the steering wheel was useless for a split second. Thank God I was driving in a straight line tho. It ended up being like I had traction... floated for a second... then magically regained traction again and kept driving like normal.

If I was on a curve... I may have ended up like this guy in the ditch!

Respect your tires! :jawDrop:

Reactions: Chigger

·
Registered
683 Posts
^^^ double tow.

Glad to hear you are okay. The damage looks repairable. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
it doenst look too bad. hopefully you get her back and running in no time.

·
Premium Member
12,268 Posts
;

Agreed, it was raining, but you KNOW when your tires are worn, glad you're ok. Here is what I drove on before putting the Blizzaks on, I knew what was left:

Careful out there

·
Registered
854 Posts
^^ those looked exactly like my blizzaks 2 weeks ago! I just got new ones put on ^_^

·
Registered
712 Posts
Been there, done that.

Coming home from college for the express purpose of putting new tires on the car. Same scenerio, rain storm, slid off road, took out a road sign.

Not good.........

·
Maxed out Rep Club Member
14,279 Posts
Sorry to hear that man, glad you're alright!

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
you slid that far and were only doing 40mph ?

im glad you werent hurt but i smell BS on your speed

I once spun out my BMW on a highway ramp at that same speed. I had just bought the car used, and the tires were pretty worn out; it had just started to rain. Combine the braking action with cornering and weight transfer, and if you're not careful it's easy to spin on a highway off-ramp.

In my case I did a 540 and ended up stopping in reverse on the grass - no sign to hit. The next day the car got a new set of Michelin all-season tires.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
glad your ok

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Wow.... I did the same thing in my civic being young and stupid but I just curb my rims you got it worse on your lexus and only if that damn sign wasnt there. Sliding that far going 40? you had to be going faster than that..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts