Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid Lexus ad agency didn't have enough taste to select my entry so phooey on them!

If you want to vote for one of the 5 other entries go to http://radicalcontest.com

Hopefully someone who visits is300.net will emerge as the winner!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to be a spoil sport, but I think that my wife's entry was much more true to the rules and theme of the contest.

It seems like they picked ones that had a simple, cute theme, but didn't really put across much of a message. They asked you to show that the car challenges the status quo and is "sufficiently radical". Some of those "winners" seem to be saying nothing other than "this commercial is different".

Also my wife spent alot of time tweaking the fades, wipes, timing and wording to be really "slick" and "well done". When I viewed the winners I was surprised that some of them seemed "amateurish" and thrown together. I guess they weren't looking closely at "production value". It seems (to me) like the "theme" among the winners was that they were different (enough) from the typical entry that they were memorable to the judging staff. They probably had so many people try to do the "right thing" that they ended up picking ones that were "thinking outside the box".

I dunno - maybe there were some unpublished rules that disqualified alot of entries - like "too much info to digest". Or "too highbrow" (this is still a Lexus, right?)

I threw my entry together in about 2 hours after I got the edit bay to work, but when my wife saw my entry she said "I could do better than that", and proceeded to spend the next two weeks fine tuning one (probably spent 10 hours+ on the thing). It hurts to be beat out by entries (like "bored") that had a cute idea, but clearly didn't require a huge amount of work to get put together.

Is there anyone online from the ad agency who can tell us more about the contest - like how many entries they got and what they thought about the overall quality of the entries?

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited June 05, 2000).]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Whats going on????
I thought my commercial was so much better than the 4th finalist's. Congrats to whoever he is though, if it were mine id be just as proud. Mine was similar to the second finalist, his was more creative. Oh well, lets hope i someone here wins the sweepstakes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I Am sorry but mine Rocked mine had adrenalin in it it moved you it made you say damn I cant wait to test drive that puppy ...all the finalist commercials are creative but none of them make feel like wow i want to try that car out there more like well different I thought they wanted to get people excited about the car !!!! oh well..

anyways mine was called " I DO"
It had the hardcore techno song the first one.. and had the car coming around that mountain then you see it coming around a curve up close and it say's the All new IS300.. then it cuts really fast and cool to all the features of the car just enough to get you going and says "do you have what it takes to outdue the rest" each word in a different shot "rest" is a shot of the traffic jam shot they had. then it cuts to the silver shot of the IS300 in the city and says I DO as if the car were talking to you and sort of gives you the feeling inside of shoot I do too!!! you had to see it !! oh
well!!!

·
Registered
226 Posts
MIne was in questionere format, a, b, c,d blah blah. Itwas alright, i think the bored on e is stupid, its too long. I dont get it, they arent that good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think that the commercials they chose really do suck, I'm sorry, but for a professional contest like this, they really don't look all that. Personally, I thought #1 was the best one. The bored one was creative, but WAAAAAAAAAY too long. I thought my computer froze for a second

I forgot about the deadline and by the time I realized it it was too late. Damn, and mine was pretty good too, heh.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am suprised that none of the finalists have shown up on this forum. Could it be the contest was a sham! I also thought I did an amazing commercial. My friends were excited. Maybe you guys trashed the commercials so much they are not willing to claim their work!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'd bet most of the entries that were selected were developed by junior employees at other ad agencies who heard about the contest or by students who intend to join ad agencies. I doubt anyone from this message board will appear to take credit for a commercial. More likely they read and post at www.junioradexecutivesofamerica.com.

I'm kinda disappointed that the webmaster likes the last two commercials. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but I thought they sucked, especially "Bored".

I'd have to go with the second commercial, even though I think the "fly low" theme is a bit off for a car. At least it shared the same theme song as my entry and it included about half the same elements, pretty much edited at the same points. (With a limited set of tools to choose among, perhaps that's less of a coincidence than I first thought.)

I realize in retrospect that the time I spent emphasizing features of the car and showing it being driven would have been better directed to abstract backgrounds that I could run text over the top of.

Oh well, there's always the sweepstakes.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
I agree with most of the sentiments that the commercials chosen were not that great - however, "bored" and "buh buh" were very creative. "bored" was good without music, you sit there wondering what's going to happen, and then, oh, heheh, that's funny. It holds your attention - it may not be doing much, but you're watching it. But I wonder how it would have been with the same music from "buh buh". Still, I felt it was good for that reason.

None of the commercials seemed to really put the edit bay to the test (especially "bored"), but the contest wasn't to see who could make the fanciest, slickest-edited commercial.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had to vote for "fly low". Even though I didn't really like any of the commercials that much, it was (at least) one where someone actually seemed to care about the car, not just having some generic "cute" idea.

===========================================

What do you guys think of this one?

"This IS my dream" MPG movie

It used to end with
"Built by Lexus
Just for me"

But when my wife saw the IS300 "Bryan wants a raise" TV commercial it ended with "Sufficiently Radical" so she thought they would want all the entries to end that way [based on the finalists, apparently not]

===========================================

Or how about this one:

"This IS for you" MPG movie

·
Registered
95 Posts
TEG -

Your two movies were interesting. Can I assume they're the ones you and your wife submitted?

How'd you do the screen capture? I'd kinda like to save my commercial and my wife's commercial for posterity, too.

Webmaster -

No doubt about it. I am sure that each of the commercials has advocates. Definitely room here for different personal preference. I can understand the hooks that caught you in "bored" and "buh buh". My own reaction was that both were way too low energy. (Like TEG, I preferred the "fly low" commercial.) And "bored" especially, is a "high" concept add that reminded me of that disasterous Infinity brand building campaign, though thank God it at least let you see the product rather than some rocks. And "buh buh" spent to much time going nowhere. ut if you Saatchi and Saatchi guys are looking in, gotta tell you, I'll be on my way to the kitchen for a refill and more food if you put up a commercial that doesn't MOVE.

But hey. It won't take a lot of advertising to put me in this car.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, "this IS for you" was my one hour throw something together commercial.

The "this IS my dream" was what my wife did after seeing me make the first commercial.

She came up with some cool ways to get the edit bay to do stuff - like fading the text unto an existing still, and the transition of the ufo->warp->car pulling up. I ended up liking hers more than mine.

One thing about mine ... it was meant to be a dialog - someone is asking you about your car... Along the way they ask for a ride and you agree to take them along.

I won't go into all the details of the screen capture other than this cryptic message:
Screen->Digital8->DVstudio->AVI->LSX-MPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unfortunately, I was at a conference all last week and did not get a chance to see the commercials till today. Boy, was I dissapointed!

Look, I am not a poor loser, but if I read the Edit Brief correctly, none of the commercials should have won. Which one of these commercials said "Dare to challenge the status quo with the IS 300?". Lets see:

* A car promoting luxuiry and adrenaline in rush hour. Lets see, I'll really have fun driving my nice sports sedan slow in rush hour traffic, while getting an adrenaline rush.

* A car that drives fast and flys low. Ok, pretty creative saying, I'll give it that. I guess I should challenge the next Boeing 757 that races by...especially since I won't be seeing any B2s around Florida anytime soon.

* A car that is a grown up toy. Nice, I'll fly my $500 remote controlled airplane: that's a grown up toy too.

* A car that relieves boredom. Yeah, I will watch this commercial one time, because of curiousity sake, but after that it gets the clikcer. Why, because it's BORING!

* A car that goes buh-buh. That music for some reason reminds me of that Honda commercial with the dogs. Everytime I've heard it, I've thought Honda. I don't think Lexus wants to be associated with Honda.

Before I finished my commericals, I did some research on the web to see if I could find any IS300/IS200 commercials out there. I found this IS200 from http://www.televisioncommercials.com:

http://203.111.118.34/vp1269.asf

This commercial is slick and challenging. The women in the tubes represent those women driving around those big fish bowl like cars, while the men in the TVs represent men in boxy looking cars. They are all gauking at the IS. Its great and challenging those people to be different. Its what I would of expected from the winner (of course, without all the fancy editing). Personally, I thought if I could get close to that commercial, I would be pretty well off, NOT!

None of the posted commercials told me to challenge anything nor where close to the above commercial! They were all about snazzy sayings or cuteness. I guess I can close with this:

Lesus IS300: Sufficiently Typical!

[This message has been edited by tboydsto (edited June 10, 2000).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts