Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so when I took my radiator out today to do some work and then later put it back in, I realized I had to burp the engine after it started to creep up there in temp. So anyways, after I put enough coolant in it, its running at the right temp, but how often are the radiator fans supposed to come on? I haven't checked the fuses yet, but all the sensors/harnesses are plugged in and the fans didn't come on when I turned the AC on to check. I know for sure they weren't coming on when it got hot with not enough coolant. Is there any way for sure to test the fans? I tried to do a search, but really couldn't find anything. Is the rad. sensor connected to the amount of coolant in the radiator or will it turn the fans on no matter what if it gets hot?

·
Registered
77 Posts
The fans don't normally turn on until the coolant reaches 205-210 degrees. Depending on with thermostat you have it may seem like a long time before they turn on. They do turn on sooner with th a/c on...this is to help cool down a/c system not normal cooling.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, thats what I thought. It just bothered me because I never heard them turning on... in fact, I didn't realize anything was wrong until i saw the temp get about 3/4 of the way up. I checked them with a multimeter and they're not burned out or anything, I guess I'm just freaking out because i ripped everything out and put it back in today and I'm thinking I forgot something. thanks for the info tho.

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
Radiator cooling fan kicks on when the temp reaches 93*C (199*F). It should shut down when the coolant cools down to 83*C (181*F). This is detected by the ETC switch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts