Lexus IS Forum banner

Radiator coolant reservoir cracked

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TobiasSing 
#1 ·
My coolant reservoir was damaged from last crashed. I didn’t bother to change it because my radiator is still good. A week ago. My Is300 overheated. I noticed my radiator cap is broken. Maybe it was the reason it overheated? I replaced the radiator cap and thermostat. Everything is good now. Not over heating anymore but I can smell coolant after driving my car. Is this because my reservoir is cracked?

FYI. before my IS300 overheated I can hear a water rumbling while driving for days. Not sure if this sound is a sign of low coolant or maybe the thermostat is not working properly.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes I am sure. No leak. I park my car in my driveway. No leak. But I have a feeling it’s probably going out through coolant reservoir (cracked) while driving. That’s why I’m smelling coolant after driving it. Do you think this is possible? Does coolant goes in reservoir while driving?

#5 ·
Every so often with summer and windows down i get a waft of smell of coolant from mine, it is just some drips of coolant that has settled somewhere after changing the water pump and timing belt last year.

My buddy had a cracked head in his Santa fe a couple of years ago, blew coolant all over the engine bay. He got it repaired and works fine now, but when we are towing his boat and the engines warm i can still smell the dried coolant in the nooks and crannies of the engine pretty strong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.