Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys since we have all this stupid laws for speeding maybe we can use some radar detectors? I know they are not legal but some of them cops can not detect. Anybody have an experience with this units, where and what to buy? Thanks a lot

·
Registered
941 Posts
This is one of them that i have my eye on right now...:

Beltronics STI Driver Radar Detector

"STi Driver, a powerful digital radar and laser detector which is invisible to even the most sensitive of radar detector detectors. Drive worry-free with the STi Driver leading the way. The STi Driver features a new platform for radar detection, built from the ground up by Beltronics. A magnesium housing provides extra durability and shields the STi Driver from detection. Beltronics' TotalShield™ technology removes all radio frequency emissions from the unit, so it can't be detected by the latest devices, including VG-2 and Spectre. The STi Driver offers nine programmable features to optimize the detector for your own unique road needs, including text display mode, brightness, AutoMute, and voice alerts. You can program the STi Driver's sensitivity for highway or three different city modes, and the generous 280 LED alphanumeric display, including bar graphs, keeps you informed. Go into full dark mode for the ultimate in stealth."

Thats directly taken from their website.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It looks kinda expensive but still cheaper than fine for 50 over. Do you think our cops not gonna find it? I just don't wanna spend $500 and get caught. I'm sure if they will see it they will take it. Hate [email protected]#$G Cops.

·
Registered
941 Posts
well this was my idea, id get a high end detector like that , that i would actually put in use while driving, and i would also pick one up from like walmart from US or even off ebay for like 20-30$ and if i were to ever get caught with it, i would hand over the cheap detector, and the cop wont bother searchin the car lookin for it, and id just throw the good one under my seat, hand over the crappy one.

Mind you, the ticket for something like this is i believe $180 , take your detector away, and 3 points? im not 100% sure on the points though...so you might want to think twice about it..

But its pretty much impossible for cops around here to detect that higher end detector, although in the GTA area it might be different technology.

·
1,621 Posts
About 2 months ago I actually purchased one of these Beltronics STI radar detector used form the states.

At the moment I have it installed in my winter beater for testing and so far so good! It is mounted right above my rear view mirror on the passenger side with the hardwire installation kit. I also added a 4 inch black vinyl strip at the top of my windshield on the outside to hide the suction cups so it is completely unnoticable.

So far it has saved me a few times on the way to work and it is quite funny how many cops just cruise around with their radar left on! Makes them easy to spot! :bigSmile:
Another good test was on my way to Chacago a few weeks ago. It gave me about a km warning before I even spotted the cop.

Once I get my is300 out of storage I'll have to try and find a good place to mount it. Hopefully right above the rear view mirror but I'll have to see.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
How exactly are these 'laser detectors' supposed to work, I was under the impression that the laser guns have a very narrow beam and it's a instant return as soon as it hits your car.

Is your foot faster than the speed of light?

·
Registered
14,829 Posts
I think the laser scatters, so idealy you pick up stray emissions and are warned before they get a reading on you.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
I also wanted to look into this. I remember reading s story about a golf R32 edition from the states driving from ontario back to the states. He had a valentine radar detector and got spotted by OPP. I'm not sure how, but he knew, but the officer knew he had a radar detector.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
As far as i know, cops have detectors that can find you if you have one of them on.

Reactions: jahnIS300

·
1,621 Posts
^^^ Exactly!

But the Beltronics STI radar detector is the only one that does not emit the signals that the radar detector detectors (or RDD's) are able to pick up. :cool:

Reactions: jahnIS300

·
Registered
941 Posts
^^^ Exactly!

But the Beltronics STI radar detector is the only one that does not emit the signals that the radar detector detectors (or RDD's) are able to pick up. :cool:

and i believe that its partially cause of the material that the casing is made of. Magnesium. Its pretty much undetectable to radar, hence why some fighter aircraft uses similar technology. So no matter how good the OPP's detector detector is , it should never pick up your STI radar just for that reason alone. I hope someone can back me up on this one...

·
Registered
312 Posts
How exactly are these 'laser detectors' supposed to work, I was under the impression that the laser guns have a very narrow beam and it's a instant return as soon as it hits your car.

Is your foot faster than the speed of light?
The laser detection on a radar detector is useless if you are the lead car. If you get hit with laser, your detector will tell you that you are about to get a ticket. If you are not the lead car, you may get laser scatter, but I still think laser warning on a RD is not a good counter measure.

·
1,621 Posts
how much do these STi units go for?
The Beltronics website sells them for about $499.95 US but from what I've read they will not ship to provinces where they are illegal. I picked mine up used (but looks like new) for around $350 shipped with the direct wire smartplug accessory.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
do these come with a radar jammer?

If a cop tries to radar gun you and he can't seem to do it, wouldn't it be quite obvious you have a radar detector?

I'm a total nood at radar detectors so not quite sure how they work with the K band and KA band and what not

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
The laser detection on a radar detector is useless if you are the lead car. If you get hit with laser, your detector will tell you that you are about to get a ticket. If you are not the lead car, you may get laser scatter, but I still think laser warning on a RD is not a good counter measure.

Thats my thinking too, if the cops in your region use Laser guns your radar detector is virtually useless.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just want to find out WHERE I can get one shipped here.. Perhaps an Ebay seller or a private seller who is willing to ship them here and mark them under something else.

Whether I get caught with a radar jammer/detector/laser interceptor, I would ONLY turn it on if I decide to speed. I am not going to leave it on if I am just cruising around town and doing a little spirited driving to work.

If you are going to speed, have fun during a cruise, a weekend meet, whatever... this is the time to turn it on. If you get caught with a cop knowing you had a detector, so what? If I was indeed going 180 km/h on a completely empty stretch of road, the cop can't get a readout and nothing to prove I was going 50-over under the new BS law. I will only get my radar detector confisicated, and say a few points and none of the BS. We all know speeding is not racing, but our dumbass politicians just wants to take advantage of small useless problems and soon you can be streetracing if you mowed your front lawn too fast with a John Deere.

This is much better than a BS "streetracing" charge, impounded vehicle (usually over $700 just to get the car back), + court charges, a taxi ride back home, etc...

Remember, you usually only get nailed with a detector if you are the only car on the road, so a jammed reading will point out you have a jamme/detector... Or the other possibility is that you received a warning beep, but you kept the detector on and didn't turn it off immediately.

Worse case scenario, f*ck that, they can take my radar detector and sleep with it if they want to... I still get to keep my car and get a minor fine and minor charge.

This is when laws turn retarded when I can punch someone in the face, shoot someone in the leg, and smoke weed at the same time and I still get lesser sentencing, fines, and a fair trial in courrt than say going 50km/h over.

·
1,621 Posts
do these come with a radar jammer?

If a cop tries to radar gun you and he can't seem to do it, wouldn't it be quite obvious you have a radar detector?

I'm a total nood at radar detectors so not quite sure how they work with the K band and KA band and what not
Nope, the "basic" radar detectors do not come with a jammer. Some of the radar detector systems that you hardwire into your car (install the sensors, jammers and everything behind your bumpers and stuff) have them but they can cost thousands!

They do actually sell a film for your headlights and front licence plate that deflects the laser from the laser guns so they are unable to get a speed reading. Since they do try and aim the laser at you headlights or licence plate in order for the laser to bounce back and get a speed reading.

Here is a good site that explains how the radar detectors work and the different types: Radar Detector Info

Thats my thinking too, if the cops in your region use Laser guns your radar detector is virtually useless.
Well luckly not too many cops us laser guns because they require a very steady hand and that is why many times you see them mounted on tri-pods. Also they only mostly use them on clear days since the laser's range decreases in crappy weather (and who wants to stand outside with a tri-pod when it's raining?).

...Whether I get caught with a radar jammer/detector/laser interceptor, I would ONLY turn it on if I decide to speed. I am not going to leave it on if I am just cruising around town and doing a little spirited driving to work....

...Remember, you usually only get nailed with a detector if you are the only car on the road, so a jammed reading will point out you have a jamme/detector... Or the other possibility is that you received a warning beep, but you kept the detector on and didn't turn it off immediately...
Hey Tony, if you end up getting the STI you will not have to worry about having to turn on and off the radar detector since they will never be able to detect or even suspect that you and one as long as they don't see it. And the basic ones are not able to jam the signal so the detector will only give you a early warning that there is a cop using radar ahead.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts