Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving Saturday evening after dark in my E55. I was on the beltway (495-southbound) and I was going about 70mph on the lane right next to the passing lane. Then from behind I see Xenon lights fast approaching (maybe 90mph). As It passes me I notice that it's a BMW 540i with the Sport wheels. I don't think he noticed me... Then I take it to the left lane and really get on it as the transmission downshift to third gear I take off and get right behind the 540i. As far as he's concerned I could be a regular E-class Xenons (as he couldn't see my wheels)....As soon as I catch up to him he guns it and I do the same. I effortlessly past him a couple seconds after I gunned it and head up to about 120mph and which point I was several car lengths ahead. Then I slowed down to look over and wave. The driver doesn't even smile or acknowledge me....
Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm only 23 years old, but you guys are kids;-) You have an awesome car. I have dreams at night about a CLK55. One day(sigh).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Eric,
I say, "if you got it, flaunt it." What's the point of putting down 70K for a car and not using it to it's poetential. Good for you.

PS Any story when a BMW gets to eat $hit is a good one to me

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would imagine that if the 540i was an M5 the race would have been more interesting. But where I live I would prefer the E55 for the automatic.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was very fun and scary too (My heart raced faster than my engine)... I don't think I'm going to do that again because a ticket at that speed will spoil everything...What an Adrenalin rush........ Any stories with your IS300's? I don't think TEG or Tony would appreciate these type of stories, but I like to hear them..
Eric...

[From TEG: So far I think I am the only one carrying the "drive safe and legal" torch around here. Tony has posted a few "stories" of his own...]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hope you run across an M5 someday. I would LOVE to see how these two stack up. It would probably come down to the driver, in a real world race.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The BMW M5 would definitely beat me (according to Car & Driver and Motor Trend) although they tied 0-60 in Road and Track's comparison. The BMW has 394 horsepower and 369 ft/[email protected] 3800RPM's The Mercedes has 349 horses but 391 ft/[email protected] 3000RPM's... The M5 weighs more the 200 lbs more the the E55. Editor Sam Mitani (of Road & Track) said that the M5 felt Quicker but the E55 felt Faster....Whatever that means....I still think the M5 has the edge (given a good driver/shifter)
Eric....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
EricK

are you headed down to burke lake on the 22nd of this month? it'll be a good time.

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by MDaltezza:
EricK

are you headed down to burke lake on the 22nd of this month? it'll be a good time.

Yes I plan on going and my friend is coming as well with his Tiptronic Audi S4...

Eric....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by DonCorleone:
Remember Tony's 100+mph posts?
I do recall that, but if I remember correctly, he was driving 100+mph speeds on a track of some sort...

Eric

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah, er, right - yeah - Tony does all his high speed testing on a track
(of sorts)

Anyways - I do not encourage anyone to break the law, or risk a possible accident by doing some "extraordinary" driving on the public streets. Clearly I have no control over what any of you decide to do on your own, but I hate to see accident and ticket stories posted on this forum.

Now if you put me behind the wheel of an M5 or E55 I can't guarantee what might happen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts