Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving Saturday evening after dark in my E55. I was on the beltway (495-southbound) and I was going about 70mph on the lane right next to the passing lane. Then from behind I see Xenon lights fast approaching (maybe 90mph). As It passes me I notice that it's a BMW 540i with the Sport wheels. I don't think he noticed me... Then I take it to the left lane and really get on it as the transmission downshift to third gear I take off and get right behind the 540i. As far as he's concerned I could be a regular E-class Xenons (as he couldn't see my wheels)....As soon as I catch up to him he guns it and I do the same. I effortlessly past him a couple seconds after I gunned it and head up to about 120mph and which point I was several car lengths ahead. Then I slowed down to look over and wave. The driver doesn't even smile or acknowledge me....
Eric....

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm only 23 years old, but you guys are kids;-) You have an awesome car. I have dreams at night about a CLK55. One day(sigh).

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Eric,
I say, "if you got it, flaunt it." What's the point of putting down 70K for a car and not using it to it's poetential. Good for you.

PS Any story when a BMW gets to eat $hit is a good one to me

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would imagine that if the 540i was an M5 the race would have been more interesting. But where I live I would prefer the E55 for the automatic.

Rick Kim

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was very fun and scary too (My heart raced faster than my engine)... I don't think I'm going to do that again because a ticket at that speed will spoil everything...What an Adrenalin rush........ Any stories with your IS300's? I don't think TEG or Tony would appreciate these type of stories, but I like to hear them..
Eric...

[From TEG: So far I think I am the only one carrying the "drive safe and legal" torch around here. Tony has posted a few "stories" of his own...]

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 11, 2000).]

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hope you run across an M5 someday. I would LOVE to see how these two stack up. It would probably come down to the driver, in a real world race.

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The BMW M5 would definitely beat me (according to Car & Driver and Motor Trend) although they tied 0-60 in Road and Track's comparison. The BMW has 394 horsepower and 369 ft/[email protected] 3800RPM's The Mercedes has 349 horses but 391 ft/[email protected] 3000RPM's... The M5 weighs more the 200 lbs more the the E55. Editor Sam Mitani (of Road & Track) said that the M5 felt Quicker but the E55 felt Faster....Whatever that means....I still think the M5 has the edge (given a good driver/shifter)
Eric....

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
EricK

are you headed down to burke lake on the 22nd of this month? it'll be a good time.

------------------
Marlon
IS300 (white)
loaded w/o LSD

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by MDaltezza:
EricK

are you headed down to burke lake on the 22nd of this month? it'll be a good time.

Yes I plan on going and my friend is coming as well with his Tiptronic Audi S4...

Eric....

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by DonCorleone:
Remember Tony's 100+mph posts?
I do recall that, but if I remember correctly, he was driving 100+mph speeds on a track of some sort...

Eric

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Yeah, er, right - yeah - Tony does all his high speed testing on a track
(of sorts)

Anyways - I do not encourage anyone to break the law, or risk a possible accident by doing some "extraordinary" driving on the public streets. Clearly I have no control over what any of you decide to do on your own, but I hate to see accident and ticket stories posted on this forum.

Now if you put me behind the wheel of an M5 or E55 I can't guarantee what might happen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing