Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok let the cheapo coilover bashing begin! ;) The company i am speaking of is Raceland Welcome to RACELANDUS.COM . They do not have anything available for Lexus as of yet but if there is some interest maybe they will start creating some chinese replicas for us :p I have sent them an email asking about the coilovers for IS300's and the response i got back was:

"At this time we don't have anything in development, but we will put your recommendation on the list so upper management can consider producing this item. If you know others interested please have them send an email to [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> . If you have any other questions please let us know. "

I have alittle bit of experience with these coilovers on a E46 BMW and for they are pretty damn nice, specially for $250. They have been on the car for at least 4 months driving on the crappiest of Dayton, OH roads and actually ride and handle better than the factory oem sport suspension that was on the car. Now i know everyone is going to say $250 COILOVERS WTF!...but you can do your own research through google and find out for yourself if these would be of interest or not.

Anyways i have no affiliation with raceland... I just want a set of decent $250 coilovers and maybe some others might too. ha!

·
Registered
673 Posts
many ppl on this forum i feel are the type to by a plain white t shirt for $20 that says clavin klein on the tag rather then one that says hanes for $5 dollers when the hanes is a better quality at a cheeper price.

·
Vendor
5,524 Posts
many ppl on this forum i feel are the type to by a plain white t shirt for $20 that says clavin klein on the tag rather then one that says hanes for $5 dollers when the hanes is a better quality at a cheeper price.
So your saying that most people on here are brand fluffers and would rather buy brand than quality? I feel its the opposite. The reason there are posts like the "suspension bashing" is to give industry knowledge from us, and pass it along to you.

I personally went to KW and Stance, and can tell you at KW, the cost of just the shock body's cost more than $250. Raceland USA is a great gimmick. Just remember, a t-shirt is a shirt, and cannot hurt your life. If your coil overs snap, due to poor metal quality, and your car nose dives, throwing you into a horrible accident on the highway, you would not like to know its because you bought $250 coil-overs.

Just some food for thought. We are very passionate about suspension performance, and hate these BS companies for coming out and trying to sell on price. Its really annoying how these companies come in with no prior experience, try to sell something, then disappear once the name goes sour due to quality. Figs, I know you agree with me 100 on this one.

Eddie

·
Vendor
4,593 Posts
So your saying that most people on here are brand fluffers and would rather buy brand than quality? I feel its the opposite. The reason there are posts like the "suspension bashing" is to give industry knowledge from us, and pass it along to you.

I personally went to KW and Stance, and can tell you at KW, the cost of just the shock body's cost more than $250. Raceland USA is a great gimmick. Just remember, a t-shirt is a shirt, and cannot hurt your life. If your coil overs snap, due to poor metal quality, and your car nose dives, throwing you into a horrible accident on the highway, you would not like to know its because you bought $250 coil-overs.

Just some food for thought. We are very passionate about suspension performance, and hate these BS companies for coming out and trying to sell on price. Its really annoying how these companies come in with no prior experience, try to sell something, then disappear once the name goes sour due to quality. Figs, I know you agree with me 100 on this one.

Eddie
Absolutely Eddie, Material cost alone are the reason why a $250 coilover will never find its way on one of my vehicles. You can make a spring look like a spring but its mechanical properties are vastly different. The valving technology and seal materials cannot possibly be the same as a higher end product even with Chinese economics. Just remember China and Taiwan are not the same. And Even japanese coilovers that are manufactured in Taiwan still need to meet materials standards of the designer. When you allow the manufacturer to substitute materials, cut corners and provide a product that has a likeness in look to another the result is a first blush cost savings and conspiracy theory that coilover companies are robbing their customers because really it only costs $100 to make 4 coilovers and that they could sell them at $250 and still make a profit. From what I see of the products, these are mass produced shocks with threaded bodies. I would anticipate that the spring materials are not SAE spec and that the shock will not have a long service life. But most people that buy coilovers do not take full advantage of them anyway nor do they realize the benefits of a tuned suspension. There is a lot riding on any single component that you install on your vehicle and I would assert still that you get what you pay for.

Fig

·
Premium Member
20,996 Posts
You cant be serious? Let me know at all times when you are on the road so i can stay off

·
Registered
673 Posts

Eddie
the statment i made didnt exactly pertain to these coilovers but in general. there are many things that are " knock off " like a ralco rz short shifter is the exact same quality as a B&M short shifter.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'll let you know when they break. In the mean time a lot of people are using them and liking them on bimmers and vw's.
your are correct i happen to have them in my MK3 vw and i am very very happy with them. 14k on them so far and there still holding up. im not to sure i would get them for my is300 but for my vw its a daily driver so i wasnt to concerned. but honeslty so far i couldnt come up with a bad thing to say about them if i wanted to.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i wish raceland made for a set for the is...not everyone with a lexus has the cash to buy all top notch stuff(such a shock right?!)..i have read about NUMEROUS vw/bmw/scion guys that use the racelands and love them.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Do it please. Let us know how it holds up..

PLEASE DO IT!!!!

·
Vendor
5,524 Posts

·
Vendor
5,524 Posts
i also own a bmw and i spend much more time on bimerforums than myis. so far the bmw guys are happy with these i have heard.
Does happy mean they are holding up or just because someone put them on their car, and now its lower? What kind of spring rates do they use? What kind of metals, oils etc? Can you even take them to a track? For $250, you get basically scrap metal. I think we should buy a set, send them out to a lab, and get you guys a chemical breakdown.

So far, THMotorsports frowns upon these coilovers and what they represent to the aftermarket automotive community. If everyone would see what quality is, you would be happy spending a proper amount of money, rather than just getting the cheapest possible solution.

My rant is done,

Edward

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you know what kind of metals or oils are used in Teins? BLOX? Stance? Cusco? I highly doubt it.

I was just reading an article the other day how the same factories are producing higher end and lower end products, but here's the catch. They are the same product, different brand recognition, which then changes value.

I'm not really surprised by the feedback. I know this thread was started a couple years ago but after a quick search they still have not been made for our cars. I will be contacting Raceland as well and hopefully they will begin to develop these for the IS300 in the future.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.