Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm on my way home from work and in traffic pass a blue M5. Saw the dual-dual pipes and got all misty...
Once I'm on the turnpike, I'm crusing along, probably 85 or so and this car passes me by...ooh look, it's the M5. So I catch up and we're pacing each other. I think he was waiting for me to take off because I'd give it a little gas and I'd see him lurch ahead and re-pace. We kinda get playful for a while and then we came upon a big toll plaza. We take different lanes, so I'm waiting for him on the other side and a Integra zooms past me (ooh, little does he know what's coming.
). Finally Mr. M5 comes along but I see he is on his phone...

So I wait over in the left lane and finally he comes up on my butt. Traffic thins out nicely and I move over one lane to the right and he evens out and we both punch it:

Either he was part throttle or the IS has some nice 90-120 acceleration because he only had me one, maybe two car lengths all the way to 120. But by the time I got to 140 (a new land speed record for me, BTW), he was dim brake lights in the distance... Sigh. I didn't expect anything less from a car twice the price.
But it was fun. Well, 120 was fun. 140 was damn freaking scary. And it took FOREVER to get from 135 (my previous LSR) to 140. When I lifted my foot at 140, it was shaking...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by saltedeggman:
congrats,
approaching the limit of IS 144mph
I don't know if I could handle 140 long enough to turn it into 144. Will take many minutes and many miles...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
"raced"...
thats a good way to put it. i hate when you see nice car, but it out classes you. but what the hell. its fun. but 140mph! damn i get a freaking shakey at 120mph, 140 must be insane. but it must feel SOOOOO GOOD at the same time!
well i got burned bad like that that over the weekend. i was on the way to my home girls apartment and i pulled up to a white hatchback (3door, hahaha love that name) civic, (madd/crazy riced out: stripped interior, roll cage, fat a$$ exhaust, etc. you know...) but we were behind two other cars, one infront of him, one infront of me. then he started to revvvv like crazy, i just shook my head. then the next light, it was us at the front. im like, "i dont need to race a civic!" then he revvved some more. the light turned green he launched and i got a bad start. even till the other cross walk, then he chirped into second. and then he was gone. but the next light was red, and i pulled up. im like, what you got turbo or you squeezing? hes like nah, its single cam. im like what!? then he started to laugh and hes like its dual overhead. whatta punk. hes got a motor swap. he either has the b-16a or the b-18a or the h-22 (those would be the del sol motor, the integra GSR, and the prelude motors) damn. i feel bad that i got burned by a 3-door civic!
but things will change! i got madd mods planned for my IS. its gonna be a Supra TT in IS dres, thats all im gonna say.
, hehehe.i'll down to race, and take out anyone when im done. but that wont be for awhile.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Tony.....you da man, LMAO thats what the car is for, glad you enjoy it and use it as intended, though you should leave the M5's to me LOL.

I have found that speed is relative, not to be a punk but I have done 174 on my bike and 160 in the Vette, so 140 albeit is movin out its relative. I bet if you routinely rolled it up to 120 you would start feeling like 110 wasn't so fast know what I'm saying? Anyway not to encourage you to such excesses, sounds like its time for a cold air filter kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To: Webmaster

I know this is a little off the topic but are you considering putting a spoiler or even going as far as a body kit for your IS. Also, I wanted to know if you have lowered your car or not.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
After 130mph racing doesn't become fun anymore. I hit 153mph in my VR6 once while I was in Tampa and I had my friends instigating for me to go faster. I let off the petal and I felt very faint. I don't think I want to do that again.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by smra:
Tony,
Did the car wander very much at that speed??
Not really. But in the last day or two, I'm getting some weird feelings from the left front wheel. I may have some abnormal tire wear.
The definitely feels a little lighter after 120, but not uncontrollable. Nevertheless, I couldn't help but remember what it was like when I came into a wide turn too fast at the last autocross and lost control and spun out - and that was at like 50 or 60. I was thinking, sh*t, if I lose control at 120...or 140...

I have found that speed is relative, not to be a punk but I have done 174 on my bike and 160 in the Vette, so 140 albeit is movin out its relative. I bet if you routinely rolled it up to 120 you would start feeling like 110 wasn't so fast know what I'm saying?
Yes, 110 now is cakewalk. And it's so quiet that I can be there and then like oh crap, I better slow down. Now, afterwards on the slow part of the trip home, I was thinking, damn, those guys in bikes doing 160 have some balls. I can't imagine what that feels like.

My car is bone stock with tinted windows.

Tony are you sure he was done with the phone? I would expect an M5 to be much faster.
Yes, he was off the phone. The way it pulled away after 120 leaves no doubt in my mind that the M5 is one damn fast car.

It was definitely scary. Probably won't get up in those digits again anytime soon...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
202 Posts
I hate to crash the party here, but I have an m-coupe as my brother, webmaster, very well knows. I have whopped his ass on the turnpike numerous times between 90-110, it gives me a good laugh.

So an M5....

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
i'm guessing the guy didn't slam his foot down onto the pedal. on my m3 unless i MASH the gas i odnt' get a whole lot of power
WOT Is a different story
hehe

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by fecund:
I hate to crash the party here, but I have an m-coupe as my brother, webmaster, very well knows. I have whopped his ass on the turnpike numerous times between 90-110, it gives me a good laugh.
Do we usually start out at around 90? I guess he was playing with me then. I was never winning, but he walked away from me at 120 so fast...

But, uh, who whooped your ass at autocross? Hmm?

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Well I haven't had a chance to race an M5 in my E55 yet. That 540i sport I told you about was it thus far and M5 sitings are rare. That would be my dream race. Although the M5's faster than me by a little, the M5 driver has to nail those shifts perfectly, and modulate the clutch/throttle properly off the line to acheive those figures (acheived by professionals). It would take a lot of skill to get published factory figures on a sub 5 second rear drive car (like the M5) unlike sub 6 second cars which takes less skill (due to less tire spin/etc, perfectly nailed shifts, etc). I think Doug would agree with me on that. Unlike the M5, all I basically have to do is modulate the throttle properly off the line (to avoid excess wheel spin) in my E55 and I'm all go. Maybe the reason I don't come across any M5's to race is cause I spend all my time in this forum.
If something does come up, you'll be the first to know about it...

Eric...

·
Registered
403 Posts
140 on a freeway? And he was going faster than that? Keep it up and we'll have to have a new webmaster after you're six feet under (or in jail); hopefully you won't kill some innocent motorist or bystander ....

But by the time I got to 140 (a new land speed record for me, BTW), he was dim brake lights in the distance... Sigh. I didn't expect anything less from a car twice the price.
But it was fun. Well, 120 was fun. 140 was damn freaking scary. And it took FOREVER to get from 135 (my previous LSR) to 140. When I lifted my foot at 140, it was shaking...
[/B]

·
Registered
19,476 Posts
Tony's a Trip... He presses the "SNOW" button while going 95mph & drives 140mph with his hair on fire on the freeway...
I admire his audacity.
Eric....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts