Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. one of my coworkers has been asking to race me for a while. so tonight, he and i raced down a relatively empty large street.

we made two runs, both from stop to around 80 mph. the first run, i was ahead of him by at least 2 car lengths. his lane wasn't as smooth as mine, so he might have lost some traction there. on the second run, i was only ahead of him by about one car length, but my lane this time wasn't as smooth as his. the catch here is that i had a passenger in my car (around 200 lbs), and he didn't. still, not bad for a car that costs about $10k less.

i expect to be able to blow accord v6s away. TRD better come out with a good supercharger and for cheap. hopefully, about the same price as their superchargers for camrys and tacomas.

--k

[This message has been edited by chiem (edited December 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
From what I have seen performance wise for the two (excuse me, as it has not been much), your results sound about right. But remember, that is straight line, take him on the twisties and it will be no contest.

As far as $10k less...two things. (1) The EX-V6 I have is probably only $6-7k less (2) It costs more for a reason! I am sure there are plenty of nice things about your car that I do not have!

------------------
1997 Acura Integra GS-R (Milano Red)
2000 Honda Accord EX-V6 Sedan (Signet Silver)

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
if you're going to race, like i've said before, the is300 is not that much faster than most of the cars on the street.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Clam and CriticalPath are correct, IS will not beat many cars on the street if you are going straight line, but once you take the car onto a road course or something, you will realize that not many cars out there can out-handle (is that a word?) you.
Besides, didn't we just learned from the other thread that street racing is dangerous, what if the guy you beat decided to pull some trick on you?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're probably right on the price point. However, I paid $11k more out the door for my car than my coworker did for his. He had a dealership contact and got a great deal. I paid MSRP.

As far as nice interior options go, the IS is a bit lacking in that department. The only things I can think of that the IS has are heated side mirrors and 6-disk in-dash changer. We don't even have auto-dimming rear-view mirrors.

--k

Originally posted by CriticalPath:
As far as $10k less...two things. (1) The EX-V6 I have is probably only $6-7k less (2) It costs more for a reason! I am sure there are plenty of nice things about your car that I do not have!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the IS is faster than most cars on the road, just not by much when it comes to straight line performance.

Originally posted by Daniel:
Clam and CriticalPath are correct, IS will not beat many cars on the street if you are going straight line, but once you take the car onto a road course or something, you will realize that not many cars out there can out-handle (is that a word?) you.
This guy is my coworker.

Besides, didn't we just learned from the other thread that street racing is dangerous, what if the guy you beat decided to pull some trick on you?
--k

·
8,107 Posts
WHen I drove the IS300 at the Lexus show and also Edmunds Live, it was much quicker around the cones than any other car at the show, including the A4 and 328. I'd avoid drag races and drive on some curvy roads if you want to appreciate the IS300. If I want to dust someone in my 325i, I just take some corners fast, most FWD sedans can't take corners nearly as fast.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Originally posted by ckolsen:
WHen I drove the IS300 at the Lexus show and also Edmunds Live, it was much quicker around the cones than any other car at the show, including the A4 and 328.
Really? I'm really surprised, unless the audi and bmw did not have sport suspension and/or quattro, on the audi ofcourse. If they were all equally equiped, I would have thought that the IS would have gotten spanked by the 328.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

[This message has been edited by crontab (edited December 09, 2000).]

·
Registered
201 Posts
You see I usually respect people's objective opinions, that's why I enjoy hearing what CKolsen, Clam and a couple others have to say. I believe it was CK or a magazine that said on another topic that the IS's auto transmission slows its straight line time because of the way the shifts occur. If you want to appreciate the IS for speed instead of handling, try driving it at about 40 or 50 mph and then hit it and witness how quickly it will jump to 100 at the drop of a hat.

------------------

·
8,107 Posts
The A4 and 328 did NOT have sport suspensions at either event, that's right. The A4 w/ sport package is MUCH better handling than the regular A4, same for BMW. I wouldn't say the BMW would spank the IS300 unless it also had the 5 speed manual. The A4 w/ sport package doesn't solve the nose-heaviness of the A4 though.

Originally posted by crontab:
Really? I'm really surprised, unless the audi and bmw did not have sport suspension and/or quattro, on the audi ofcourse. If they were all equally equiped, I would have thought that the IS would have gotten spanked by the 328.

-crontab -l

·
Registered
548 Posts
Guys guys... I went to Audi Carousel (in Minnetonka, MN) with my 2 friends. One of them is looking for a brand new A6 and the other is looking for a used A4. Guess what? There were 3 used S4s sitting right there and for sale for $37600 to $38900. All 3 of them are 1999.

The first car is a 1999 S4 ($38500), 6 sp, is black (12000 miles) fully loaded w/ a combo of milky white (beige?)leather over a black leather, the car is chipped, it has Koni coilover, and exhaust (forgot what brand).
The second car is also black 1999 S4 (36,500), 6 sp, is fully loaded w/ 8000 miles on it.
The third car is also a 1999 S4 (37500), 6 sp, Blue (similar w/ my SBM color) fully loaded, this is the cool thing... the interior is a blue leather (same color w/ the exterior color) over a black leather... I was like.... NICE!!!!!!

Damn... S4s are nice.... how's the S4 compared to the BMW M3 E46?

[This message has been edited by mystic (edited December 09, 2000).]

·
8,107 Posts
I don't think those prices are good at all for '99 S4s, since they discount $1500 for 2001s. You know they had some problems with '99s too, check the Audi board.
The E46 M3 is faster and better handling, but production is delayed due to breaking drive shafts and the occasional engine blowup. It's also $10-15,000 more. Don't buy the modified S4, it's probably seen 12000 hard miles.

Originally posted by mystic:
Guys guys... I went to Audi Carousel (in Minnetonka, MN) with my 2 friends. One of them is looking for a brand new A6 and the other is looking for a used A4. Guess what? There were 3 used S4s sitting right there and for sale for $37600 to $38900. All 3 of them are 1999.

The first car is a 1999 S4 ($38500), 6 sp, is black (12000 miles) fully loaded w/ a combo of milky white (beige?)leather over a black leather, the car is chipped, it has Koni coilover, and exhaust (forgot what brand).
The second car is also black 1999 S4 (36,500), 6 sp, is fully loaded w/ 8000 miles on it.
The third car is also a 1999 S4 (37500), 6 sp, Blue (similar w/ my SBM color) fully loaded, this is the cool thing... the interior is a blue leather (same color w/ the exterior color) over a black leather... I was like.... NICE!!!!!!

Damn... S4s are nice.... how's the S4 compared to the BMW M3 E46?

[This message has been edited by mystic (edited December 09, 2000).]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
ckolsen
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing