Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried but I couldnt refuse a challenge to race a 99 honda civic SI vtec on saturday...
two runs I left it 2 1/2 car lengths back twice. The car could not even pull on me in first gear and it was a manual.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Good kill Kel. Those Civic Si's aren't as fast as the teenie booper drivers think it is. Just because it has a b16a doesn't mean its fast..Guess that guy in the Si has to learn that the hard way...

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
God dammit, we're not all teeny boppers ok?

BTW, if he had any mods (intake would be basically all that's necessary), and was a decent driver (apparently not), he would have matched or beaten you. 0-60 is 7.2s and 15.7 in the quarter (stock!). With an intake and a good driver you can get it down to 15.1 on the quarter (we have a guy that did just that on our forum). It's very easy to bog the launch as well, and if you do that you're definitely screwed (I know first-hand).

·
Premium Member
16,944 Posts
Good Kill, i am also honda for life... I am getting the is300, keeping the accord, and my new project will be a newer del sol

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Originally posted by webguyIS:
BTW, if he had any mods (intake would be basically all that's necessary), and was a decent driver (apparently not), he would have matched or beaten you. 0-60 is 7.2s and 15.7 in the quarter (stock!). With an intake and a good driver you can get it down to 15.1 on the quarter (we have a guy that did just that on our forum). It's very easy to bog the launch as well, and if you do that you're definitely screwed (I know first-hand).

I'v never raced an Si before. I'm aware of the performance figures... but man, according to Kel, he spanked him by 2.5 car lengths. The guy in the Si must've *really* *really* been a shi*ty driver. 2.5 car lengths????

Either:

1. The car *really* isn't that fast.

2. The guy not only was a bad driver. He probably didn't quite know how to drive at all. Even if he knew how to drive the car/racve just a little bit... he would have been closer than 2.5 car lengths, IMO.

Not trying to be a smart a*s... it just doesn't make any sense.

Scott.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Zoku:

I'v never raced an Si before. I'm aware of the performance figures... but man, according to Kel, he spanked him by 2.5 car lengths. The guy in the Si must've *really* *really* been a shi*ty driver. 2.5 car lengths????

Either:

1. The car *really* isn't that fast.

2. The guy not only was a bad driver. He probably didn't quite know how to drive at all. Even if he knew how to drive the car/racve just a little bit... he would have been closer than 2.5 car lengths, IMO.

Not trying to be a smart a*s... it just doesn't make any sense.

Scott.
The real question is... how fast did they get up to? 2.5 car lengths by 100mph (for example) is nothing, that's expected anyhow since the Si really can't do much after 4th gear (3rd tops out at around 86mph).

Again, it's very plausible that the dude screwed up his launch, or that it was a rolling start or something where he had to start at like 2k-3k rpms, in which case that 2.5 car length lead could have happened at the very beginning like Kel3 said and stuck with him through the whole race.

"The car could not even pull on me in first gear..."

It doesn't really matter anyhow, the Si is nothing compared to the IS.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i've raced 4 different civic SI's. And have one by a huge margin everytime... My ex g/f has a 00 Civic SI with the AEM cold air on it. Best intake available for the car and from what i've read, close to 14HP gain. And I pull on it, not nearly as much as the others, but i do pull away in every gear. I think you need more than just a exhaust and intake. Add headers, then we have some competition

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Kel3....Good Kill man.....no matter what the reason was you won so I wouldn't worry....BTW check your Private Message's I left you one a couple of days ago.....Dan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Kel3,

Good job showing the Si who's da man.

But, 2 1/2 car lengths on a SI in favor of the IS300 points out that the SI driver seriously sucks at the manual tranny.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Originally posted by webguyIS:
God dammit, we're not all teeny boppers ok?

Im a civic fan myself, but...
who was lookin at whose tail lights??? Not once but twice!
'Nuff said, NO excuses..

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by cruznis300:
i've raced 4 different civic SI's. And have one by a huge margin everytime... My ex g/f has a 00 Civic SI with the AEM cold air on it. Best intake available for the car and from what i've read, close to 14HP gain. And I pull on it, not nearly as much as the others, but i do pull away in every gear. I think you need more than just a exhaust and intake. Add headers, then we have some competition
Ahahahahahahaha, oh man, LOL, 14hp?! Where'd you get that from? AEM's site or something? It's worth MAYBE 4hp MAX, and that's with a drop in hp along several points in the power curve. Take a look at any dyno sheet and you'll see it.

Exhaust and headers do basically jack diddly squat for any Civic, unless you've got a reason to have them (FI, major internal work, etc.). The stock exhaust is extremely efficient, the intake system works very well once you remove the resonator, and the exhaust manifold is already top-notch straight from the factory. You can expect a MAX power gain of about 5-7hp with about $1200 worth of mods on our cars. It sucks, I know.

Anyhow, I'm not going to defend the Si anymore. The guy sucked at driving his car, that's that. *THAT* is the excuse, jdogg, and it's unfortunate that he owned the Si to begin with because it's obvious that doesn't know jack about how to drive it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yeah you guys don't get me wrong neither.
I'm a very loyal toyota fanatic. I have a celica GTS with a dvd, tv, body kit, intake exhuast. yadda yadda yadda....

But my friend has a is300. It all depends on the situation. "technically" the is300 stock whouldn't be able to beat the SI by that much off the line. So i'm gonna have to believe that it's the driver.

In fact after the import showoff this past weekend and riding three of my friends SI...
ahhhh i dunno. 2.5 i dunno.. that's defintely sounds like a driver.

We have to remember since is300 cars are automatic your more consistent. ON a Si
that really depends on the driver...

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Asurda:
We have to remember since is300 cars are automatic your more consistent. ON a Si
that really depends on the driver...
*Key* information there, good call.

Kel3, does your IS have any mods?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well thats what happened all I saw was the headlights on my rear view he redlined on almost all the gears and I just kept pulling on him when the is hit 3rd I was gone and several people witnessed the event and this road was more than a quarter mile. The average car length is about 8 to ten feet to be fair right? Because he trailed about 20 to 25 feet behind. seriously it's no miracle that the stock IS beat an SI with an intake and an exhaust. I will try to record it and post when I get a battery for my digital cam - corder.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WebguyIS,
No engine mods so far just HR's
Could it be the Hr's?
(j/k)
I will race him again he wants to get more mods and take another stab at the IS, I will then take some pics I have a nice panoramic camera I will use if I dont get my battery fo the cam-corder.

·
Registered
18,609 Posts
Originally posted by Kel3:
Well thats what happened all I saw was the headlights on my rear view he redlined on almost all the gears and I just kept pulling on him when the is hit 3rd I was gone and several people witnessed the event and this road was more than a quarter mile. The average car length is about 8 to ten feet to be fair right? Because he trailed about 20 to 25 feet behind. seriously it's no miracle that the stock IS beat an SI with an intake and an exhaust. I will try to record it and post when I get a battery for my digital cam - corder.

Cheers!
Dude we don't need video. I'm not doubting that you beat him by 2.5 cars or more. All I'm saying is that if you ever run into a good driver behind the wheel of an Si, watch out! =)

You can't generalize all races based on one scenario (driver+car+conditions), especially when comparing these two vehicles, because those variables will change. Remember chemistry labs?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts