Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing a manual swap and I got the r154 tranmission i got a 02 is300 and am wondering what or where i can get a drive shaft that will fit it correctly and hold up

·
Registered
253 Posts
https://www.driveshaftshop.com/

These guys are the best. They're not cheap but they're not unreasonable, either. Highly recommend. You won't even need to measure anything, they know exactly how to make an IS300/R154 shaft fit just right.

Else, local driveshaft stores are pretty common, and can probably build what you need. They'll likely be a bit cheaper than DSS, but it's unlikely the quality will be the same.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Doing the same swap here soon - do they make CF Driveshafts?

What is everyone's preference or opinion on Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon Fiber?
Yes, they'll do carbon.

Steel: Works fine

Aluminum: Lighter, about 1.5-1.75 times the price of steel, tend to be less prone to vibration, absorb some degree of drivetrain shock, are usually bigger diameter than steel and are stronger as a consequence (despite aluminum being weaker than steel)

Carbon: Lighter, bling bling, about 2-2.5 times price of Aluminum, super strong, super light, absorb some drivetrain shock

For my money, aluminum is the way to go because it's a solid improvement over steel for what I consider a "reasonable" price premium. Carbon takes it a step farther but it's way more money and the dollar:improvement ratio (value) isn't as good as aluminum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts