Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
3,726 Posts
Try searching and reading on the forum before asking. About 500 to 600 hp.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yep about 500-600. There’s upgrades available from Marlin-Crawler. You can also use an AR5 transmission if it is available in the UK. It’s pretty much a modern day R154. If you’re really building a 3.4 stroker like your other post stated then an R154 wouldn’t be ideal. It would be the weakest link. Look into a T56 or CD009 equivalent.

·
Registered
2004 IS 300
32 Posts
Try searching and reading on the forum before asking. About 500 to 600 hp.

I understand you guys would like people to search before asking certain questions. But if the info found was from 2003 then maybe it is time to revisit the topic. After 17 years, things change. New technologies and trial and error could have changed everything they were talking about 17 years ago. Sometimes it's nice to have more recent info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep about 500-600. There’s upgrades available from Marlin-Crawler. You can also use an AR5 transmission if it is available in the UK. It’s pretty much a modern day R154. If you’re really building a 3.4 stroker like your other post stated then an R154 wouldn’t be ideal. It would be the weakest link. Look into a T56 or CD009 equivalent.
Cheers for the warning, I will try and look at the other

·
3,726 Posts
I understand you guys would like people to search before asking certain questions. But if the info found was from 2003 then maybe it is time to revisit the topic. After 17 years, things change. New technologies and trial and error could have changed everything they were talking about 17 years ago. Sometimes it's nice to have more recent info.
Rock is a rock no matter how old. If you want newer stuff. You will need to go find something new and try it. Which means not asking about stuff you can find in a simple search.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I like your attitude, cool and collected not bitchy. However, 17 years is close to the age of the "newest" first gen. Everything that can be done to the car HAS been done so there is information if you just take the time. I, for one, am pretty sad that the site died down and that is why we have this circular topic list nowadays...just not enough activity. Sure, there are things that change, but that is more of a smaller hardware thing like turbos bovs radiators intercoolers wastegates etc. R154 hasn't changed since it was introduced in the 80's. This post is intended to be taken as just chill....if it comes across as flame it is not meant to.

·
Registered
2004 IS 300
32 Posts
I like your attitude, cool and collected not bitchy. However, 17 years is close to the age of the "newest" first gen. Everything that can be done to the car HAS been done so there is information if you just take the time. I, for one, am pretty sad that the site died down and that is why we have this circular topic list nowadays...just not enough activity. Sure, there are things that change, but that is more of a smaller hardware thing like turbos bovs radiators intercoolers wastegates etc. R154 hasn't changed since it was introduced in the 80's. This post is intended to be taken as just chill....if it comes across as flame it is not meant to.
Yes true, but what if a newer car that was built had a better transmission. They would not know in 2003 that a transmission being built in 2013 would work better. This is just an example.

Also, if all someone does on here is search old posts then how is this site supposed to stay alive?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
The point is, if you are looking for transmission options you search "transmission options". That would provide you a plethora of posts ranging from old and beaten R154's to AR5's to V160s to CD009s which are all the rage right now.

Anyway...its been years of this circular topic list I speak about. Yo, I bought a sick jay dee em tyte too jay zee foar doar soopra for a steal. How can I turbo it for 1000 horsepowerses? I would prefer to do this on a budget without any EMU and ebay parts, it is what it is. Again, not flaming, I appreciate the grown up tone of your posts.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
1,227 Posts
Mostly all of those transmissions listed above aside from a T56 are what people have been using and what they still are using even today. I get what you’re saying about trying to update the available options but the fact is TOYOTA/LEXUS isn’t manufacturing cars with transmissions that will fit an old 2JZ engine. They don’t care about that anymore. Maybe back in 2009-2010 it might be a coincidence that a transmission from a car from that era fit the is300 but most definitely not anything will fit now.

·
Registered
2004 IS 300
32 Posts
I know what y'all are saying, but
Mostly all of those transmissions listed above aside from a T56 are what people have been using and what they still are using even today. I get what you’re saying about trying to update the available options but the fact is TOYOTA/LEXUS isn’t manufacturing cars with transmissions that will fit an old 2JZ engine. They don’t care about that anymore. Maybe back in 2009-2010 it might be a coincidence that a transmission from a car from that era fit the is300 but most definitely not anything will fit now.
Then why not just say something like this? Or even give a recommended option. It is possible he looked into it and didn't find what he was looking for. Sometimes you don't know what words will work best for a search. It would make a new member feel more engaged and encouraged to stay active on here.

The response he got makes the site seem pointless to even be a member. Why post and be a member if all you are going to do is read old posts?

Not trying to gas anybody, I would just like to see some more action on here. Instead of just searching and reading. I can Google for that.

·
Registered
2004 IS 300
32 Posts
Example: I am curious how that T56 would work. I was going to post about that, but since I know y'all don't talk about stuff like that, to Google I go.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Grannas racing makes a nice T56 bell housing adapter for the 2JZ.

Dude has a complete swap package for the IS. Outta my price range but it’s a one stop shop kinda deal. Good there’s still guys out there building/making stuff for these old cars.

@xPOSTMANx I think what everyone’s saying is, is there isn’t anything new under the sun for these cars. Read up on the things that interest you, and ask questions you can’t find answers to or dont understand. Be an informed consumer and be ready to contribute. No one, including me, is saying you aren’t. But It’s just like @FRaCTioNaL said: the same “how do I turbo this on the cheap?” threads Or I want to be a racer boi manual trans driver threads get old and 95% of those posters will never even get past a thread let alone pick up a wrench. The bulk of the info is out there if peeps would just search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rock is a rock no matter how old. If you want newer stuff. You will need to go find something new and try it. Which means not asking about stuff you can find in a simple search.
Except rock is not rock. Sandstone weathers with age, and so do gearboxes. Every gearbox made 17 years ago will have significant additional millage on it, and will be more metal fatigued with use. So while that figure may have held true 17 years ago, there is no guarantee that it is accurate today.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Except rock is not rock. Sandstone weathers with age, and so do gearboxes. Every gearbox made 17 years ago will have significant additional millage on it, and will be more metal fatigued with use. So while that figure may have held true 17 years ago, there is no guarantee that it is accurate today.
I am not sure where this is coming from, all rocks wheather differently so all rocks made 17 years ago would be different rocks today, but still rock (this was fun to write, thank you). So technically it would still be a pointless question. Whatever power they held in the 80's they hold now. You have a point in the fatigue argument but then it is impossible to generalize because every 17 year old transmission would hold different power today. This thread <3!!!

·
3,726 Posts
Rock is a rock. r154 tranny is still a r154. No matter how new or old. The question at hand was on a r154. If people want something else. They must try uncharted territory.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts