Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a lot of questions about the R154 - negatives, positives, do I like it, etc.

As a passenger, you don't notice any difference with the car. The tranny doesn't make any noise while driving or shifting.

Driving the car is a little different. Because of the higher gearing, the car doesn't seem as quick when I punch it when crusing. I just have to downshift so that it spools quicker. Once I get spooled up there is no difference though. The positive is that I can hold each gear longer and therefore boost longer before I shift to the next gear. Another positive is that I'm at a lot lower RPM when cruising on the highway. I think that I'm at about 3k at 75/80mph.

Shifting requires slightly more effort than stock, but has a firmer engagement. I was used to it after the first day.

If you have a turbo IS and break the tranny, this is a very good option if you don't have the cash to throw down on a V160 swap. I really like having the peace of mind that my tranny isn't going to blow up.

Everyone at PFS busted their ass to get my car back to me quickly and they gave me an awesome price, so of course I'm going to recommend that you get your swap done there.

As for the specifics, you'll have to call PFS and see how much info they're willing to divulge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it will. I haven't had a chance to test that out yet because I can't keep my foot off the gas pedal.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Thank's for the feedback for us "prospective" R154 owners... :lol:
I think I will push mine for as long as I can, just to see just how much hp or how long the stock manual tranny will hold up with the smoother power delivery of a supercharger (when I get to 400whp). Kinda want to have a benchmark for the rest of the IS community.

Does the shifter sit higher...or...lower than the stock IS300 one?
Can I use my PLP short shifter if the stick is too tall?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's up Mark? The shifter is lower than the stock one so I don't feel like I'm driving a school bus. I'm not sure about your short shifter, but give Peter a call.

Any idea when your S/C is gonna be ready?

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
ISJeff said:
What's up Mark? The shifter is lower than the stock one so I don't feel like I'm driving a school bus. I'm not sure about your short shifter, but give Peter a call.

Any idea when your S/C is gonna be ready?
Thanks...and no school bus drivin' :lol:

The supercharger should be done in the next couple of weeks. It all depends on the arrival of the ATI head units.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
It's basically a beefed-up W58. The W55 should be good to 500rwhp ... how many people are breaking their W55's?

The R154 is a good solution.

·
Mr. Negative
12,388 Posts
quick said:
It's basically a beefed-up W58. The W55 should be good to 500rwhp ... how many people are breaking their W55's?

The R154 is a good solution.
there's been several go in stock form and multiple on long 3rd gear pulls at almost the exact power level from 3 different tuners(~400whp). The w55 is no good past 350-380 from all of these. One guy even popped it in first pulling on to the highway I think(UnVme). These are just the ones I know about too. I'm sure there are more. I can count 6 that I know of that were boosted and 2 that I've heard of at stock power.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
about how much was everything installed? I'm looking at getting this done after I boost. This is really the single biggest concern about going F/I for me. I don't really feel like tossing 8k for a getrag so this is a great solution.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Sorry I had to Molest this thread.....hadn't been touched since o3'. It just looked so tempting just sitting there all sad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts