Lexus IS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
what car is your r154 out of? some of those parts are things you need to replace as maintance the rest is changing it to a jz bell housing and flywheel. This will all not work off your old transmission
as far as wiring the reverse sensor plugs in and speed sensor you need to get a conversion to electric
only things you will really use from your old trans is clutch pedal and master cyl as well as trans mount and trans cross member
Good info. thanks. I don't have the transmission yet, I understood the swapping of the bellhousing. My main concern was the transmission internal wise, as you mentioned. Is it easier to go with a USDM mk III Supra r154 than a JDM Soarer r154? (I'm assuming it is). Also, the electric conversion you mentioned, how would I go about doing this? The OEM speed sensor isn't electric? Sorry I'm asking such noob questions :/ I'm still learning here.

·
10,234 Posts
What driveshaft are you guys using? I contacted THMotorsports to try and get pricing for a Driveshaft Shop Shaft but they advise not to go that route because they have experienced numerous problems with them.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Good info. thanks. I don't have the transmission yet, I understood the swapping of the bellhousing. My main concern was the transmission internal wise, as you mentioned. Is it easier to go with a USDM mk III Supra r154 than a JDM Soarer r154? (I'm assuming it is). Also, the electric conversion you mentioned, how would I go about doing this? The OEM speed sensor isn't electric? Sorry I'm asking such noob questions :/ I'm still learning here.
usdm supra is easier to get your hands on soarer r154 is harder to get ahold of but neither line up perfect and no on the r154 its a manual speed sensor (cable type) Is300 is a regular Toyota 3 wire
Internal wise you don't need to replace anything but shifter bushings as long as you get a nice r154. As far as I know I'm the only one able to get an is300 speed sensor to work on their R154 IMO your better off extending the usdm one and not using the dog leg everyone complains about their shifter being sloppy and mine is perfect

As for driveshaft EM I have the DSS three inch and its great I have no complaints whatsoever about it but I don't see it on their sight any where only the 2.5 inch aluminum one is on their sight

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Leon, I know you can take out the Bulb to the CEL light in the dash. My question is more towards on how to get rid of the light while keeping everything stock.

1. Do I need to get a manual ECU?
2. What is involved in the ECU swap?

This is whats holding me back from doing the swap. If I can do it, without the ECU swap, that would be great. But if not, then I need to know that I need to save more money

·
Registered
368 Posts
There was a thread not to long ago about how to defeat the cels in an auto to manual swap here.

I was previously under the impression that the auto and manual ecu pinouts weren't the same, so some pin swapping would be required, but others suggested that they were interchangable. The other way, as I suggested in that thread was to use resistors to simulate the auto's solenoids, as brad bedell has done. Determining the resistor values is up to you though.

BTW, this is a great thread, I've been very happy with my r154... even while being aggravated by the clutch.

·
Registered
794 Posts
question I am gonna soon do this swap and I want to know if a stock r154 will hold 500hp with just the simple upgrades from marlin crawler?. or will I have to change the gears or whatever else? I just blew my w55 @ 10 psi :( ticking time bomb like some call it.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Auto to R154 swap, please help!!!

Hey, I recently picked up a turboed IS300 and I am putting parts together to do a R154 Swap.

***I need to know if a 2JZ-GTE flywheel (from a V160) is the same as a 1J flywheel and will work with my setup***

So far I have acquired:
Clutch Pedal
Brake Pedal
Clutch Master Cylinder

Parts that I have yet to get are:
Driveshaft (Toyota sequoia)
Stainless steel clutch line
shifter extension
shifter
R154 with 1J bellhousing
Flywheel
Clutch + Pressure plate

Please let me know if you have any parts for sale that I would need,
any input is helpful. Thanks.

I read threads such as:
http://my.is/forums/f114/r154-ultimate-auto-manual-swap-info-thread-379074/
http://my.is/forums/f93/manual-swap-parts-needed-experienced-please-help-421608/
http://my.is/forums/f87/automatic-vs-manual-trasmission-345854/
http://my.is/forums/f115/300-manual-vs-automatic-help-415861/
http://my.is/forums/f88/5-speed-swap-419862/

·
Registered
297 Posts
working on my swap right now and it is an 01 and would like to know if the two wires that are looped togetherin this thread, if they were to go to the nuetral safety on the clutch pedal if it would work correctly. i bought a used clutch pedal assembly so it came with the switch connected to the clutch bracket.

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
clean swap good diy !!
thanks!

working on my swap right now and it is an 01 and would like to know if the two wires that are looped togetherin this thread, if they were to go to the nuetral safety on the clutch pedal if it would work correctly. i bought a used clutch pedal assembly so it came with the switch connected to the clutch bracket.
anyone have an idea about this? from what i remember, when you do a swap to manual on an '01, the car will start without having to press the clutch pedal.

you're saying you WANT to have the neutral safety switch wired up, so that your car will only turn on when you press the clutch?

cuz i didn't do that, so i wouldn't know what to wire up.
any input?

·
4,636 Posts
On a boosted IS with a stiff clutch setup the last thing you want to do is have to push the clutch in to start the car. I would leave it the way it is so you dont have to push the clutch in to start it. The only reason I see doing this would be if the car is almost stock and multiple people drive the car.

I plan on doing this swap to my car over the winter :). I plan on using the MK3 supra trans and modding the shift linkage like MX99204 did.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am basically stock right now. I really want to be able to incorperate the nu. safety cause unfortunaley my wife drives the car from time to time. I wouldnt want her to accidently start the car in gear. Just curious if anyone has done it succesfully on the 01 thanks

·
4,636 Posts
I am basically stock right now. I really want to be able to incorperate the nu. safety cause unfortunaley my wife drives the car from time to time. I wouldnt want her to accidently start the car in gear. Just curious if anyone has done it succesfully on the 01 thanks
Totally understand able and I am sure there is a way to get this done but I am not sure if anyone on the forums has done this.

Edit:
Just curious and I am sure it has been asked before but I cant seem to find a solid answer. What parts do I need to make this clutch setup work? Do I need a 1jz or 2JZ flywheel and what kind clutch kit do I need to mate upto the flywheel?

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #159
you stumped me on that one, since i didn't wire that up for mine. hopefully someone who has done it can let us know how.

Just curious and I am sure it has been asked before but I cant seem to find a solid answer. What parts do I need to make this clutch setup work? Do I need a 1jz or 2JZ flywheel and what kind clutch kit do I need to mate upto the flywheel?
hey bud. i haven't seen the list in a while, i'll go check in a sec, but the parts list should be somewhere near the first post of this thread, with part numbers and all.
if not here, then perhaps on the 6-speed swap thread i made. i'm pretty sure its gotta be on one of those

·
10,234 Posts
Edit:
I am using a 1JZ Toyota Flywheel with a 1JZ bellhousing. Champion Toyota in TX stocks them.

But to answer mpecilunas post. If you don't have a heavy pressure plate, you can use the pedal switch, they are a simple single pole switch.

If you look at the "big" connector" that came from your auto transmission, it has numbers on the back side. You will want to de-pin number 6 and 9, typically guys would just de-pin and solder/connect them together, to make the ECU think that car is always in neutral. But if want to hook up a neutral safety switch, you just hook each end of 6 and 9 to the your pedal switch. Polarity does not matter because the switch a single pole.

For guys who are afraid of crank walk with heavy pressure plates, you can do the same but instead of hooking it up to the pedal switch, use a single pole external switch and place it somewhere on the car.

Pin 2 and 3 will go to the reverse switch on the transmission.
Connector Reference:

141 - 160 of 275 Posts