Lexus IS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Hey Leon! I found this thread at the perfect time. Its been almost year on the auto with the turbo and my 3rd gear just went out. It slips like crazy and it just happened all of a sudden with no warning. Now the question is do I repair it with upgraded parts or do I go with the swap? Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Is there a removal/installation thread you guys used as a reference? I am pulling out my auto to ship of to PFS for a race build (cant afford the manual right now). I've never pulled a tranny and I'm using the lexus maintenance manual which is pretty vague.

Also, did you have to unbolt any of your exhaust LO? The manual says to actually remove the exhaust manifold but that is a little more difficult now with the turbo on there.

One more question, can the tranny be pulled on just jack stands or should I put it on a lift? I have both readily available but using the jack stands saves me money.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Is there a removal/installation thread you guys used as a reference? I am pulling out my auto to ship of to PFS for a race build (cant afford the manual right now). I've never pulled a tranny and I'm using the lexus maintenance manual which is pretty vague.

Also, did you have to unbolt any of your exhaust LO? The manual says to actually remove the exhaust manifold but that is a little more difficult now with the turbo on there.

One more question, can the tranny be pulled on just jack stands or should I put it on a lift? I have both readily available but using the jack stands saves me money.
You pulled the tranny yet? If not hit me up. Txt me if you want for questions.
402-212-0923 (please keep in mind don't call me after 11pm midwest time zone)

The swap is very very very easy. If you have a lift use it. If you have access to a tranny jack, use that too. You will get your old tranny off in 30minutes easy.

What are you swapping back onto your Lex?

I pulled off my stock 5spd and put on a 6spd V160. Me and my friend had it done in literally 2hrs.

Well either txt me or PM me if you need any help. I could probably walk you though it.

Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
so can some one please answer this because theres so many answers out there but for a r154 tranny and sc shifter

doed the shifter have to be extended, cut mid from the bushing and ball and rewelded or just leave everything as is ????

·
Registered
595 Posts
so can some one please answer this because theres so many answers out there but for a r154 tranny and sc shifter

doed the shifter have to be extended, cut mid from the bushing and ball and rewelded or just leave everything as is ????
I have the R154 and 92 SC300 shifter combo. The shifter does not need to be modified at all. It will line up right in the center. You do need to cut a piece of the tranny tunnel in order to bolt the shifter up.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the R154 and 92 SC300 shifter combo. The shifter does not need to be modified at all. It will line up right in the center. You do need to cut a piece of the tranny tunnel in order to bolt the shifter up.
Hope that helps.

sweet done deal thanks alot

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sticky anyone? This is a great right up and answers many questions anyone may have. I am starting to put my auto/manual swap together now. I hope to get my trany this weekend. I was just wondering you all that were hearing noise out of your trans, were they rebuilt before your install? I plan on rebuiding mine before hand.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Sticky anyone? This is a great right up and answers many questions anyone may have. I am starting to put my auto/manual swap together now. I hope to get my trany this weekend. I was just wondering you all that were hearing noise out of your trans, were they rebuilt before your install? I plan on rebuiding mine before hand.
No they are not rebuilt, atleast mine isn't.

·
10,234 Posts
Im not sure if this was mentioned but what mounts are you guys using? I know that the rubber mount from the automatic won't work....w55 rear mounts?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Can any of the necessary swap parts be sourced from a 5sp SC300?

And, has anyone used a cable setup for the clutch? I just did a auto-to-manual swap using one on my Mustang and it works great, and is much more simple than a hydraulic setup. I would imagine it would be much less expensive too.

·
Blue Devil
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
yea, that would probably make a lot of people's lives much easier while trying to hunt down parts for the swap. only problem is everyone's swap is COMPLETELY different.

for one, there are 2 versions of the r154, and each one has to be slightly modified to perfectly fit out center console. some people choose to manipulate the actual shifting linkage, other people try to mess around with the shifter itself. some trannies come with bellhousings, some not. shift forks, some not. slave cylinders, some not. tranny mounts, some not. tranny crossmembers, some not.

and then clutch, flywheel, pressure plate choices, there are thousands of combinations. etc., etc., etc., etc.

i'd go on, but i dont remember all of the little parts i needed. it was just a lot, and no 2 people's tranny swaps are the same.

OH! and some people swap already from manual, and others like me did auto to manual..

WHEW! lots of stuff. a nice plug and play "kit" or parts bundle would be nice, but not likely :)

81 - 100 of 275 Posts