Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(this is related to the following thread, but different topic:
http://my.is/forums/f114/r154-ultimate-auto-manual-swap-info-thread-379074/index3.html)
(for the REMOTE SHIFTER STYLE SOARER R154 and sorry this doesn't apply to the mkIII R154 guys, cuz i know you guys usually have your own set of shifter issues)

for anyone who followed that thread about a year ago, you know of the issues I had with the SOARER version of the R154 that, believe it or not, actually sat too far back for the shifter to be centered within our shifter bezel (unlike the mkIII r154's that usually sit too far forward and guys have to bend the shifter in all magical ways to be able to shift without hitting the radio buttons in 3rd gear). i wasn't being able to get it into 2nd, 4th, or reverse without nailing the sh*t out of the BACK part of the chrome ring that surrounds our shiftboot. so what did i do?

i cut the shifter a welded it to itself (see post #65 of the thread linked at the top of this post!). which was great, at the time, and compared to how the shifter was before we cut and welded it. but i've had the swap done for over a year now, and i slowly started to hate more and more how the car was shifting (still REALLY long throws, and also compared to my cousin's honda s2000, and manual IS300's with stock trannies and short shifters, and ESPECIALLY the shifter that Karl (GT2000QUEBEC) fabricated, seen here:
http://my.is/forums/f90/teaser-my-custom-short-shifter-now-chados-review-397621/)

so i set out on a mission to find a damn short shifter for the soarer R154. i didn't try looking too hard at first, but everywhere i looked i didn't find anything (the problem with THIS R154 is that the shifter connects to the shifter linkage very similarly to the supra V160/161 6-speeds, with a bolt through the bottom, and NOT like our stock manuals or the mkIII version of the R154s that have the little ball socket at the bottom).

so after a few months i said f*ck it, and just tried to think about it mathematically based on my memory of how my stock shifter is built, since i couldn't really remove the shifter from the car at the time without putting the car on a lift.
(i know i know, you guys are gunna say i don't need a lift and removing the shifter takes 2 seconds. well, since my car was originally automatic, i dont have all the stock rubber and insulation pieces that you manual guys have. so when i did my swap, i fabricated a metal plate that i bolted down to the frame of the car underneath the center console to shield some of the heat and noise, and then on top of that i put a sh*tload of dynamat, to shield the noise even more. so taking that all apart would be too much of a bitch, so i have to unbolt the shifter from underneath the car so that i can pull it out from the top.)
anyyyyways, so what shifter could i find, or MAKE if i freaking have to, that will raise the pivot point, thus, shortening my throws???? i looked around a bunch, called a bunch of car parts companies, and no luck. even mentioned my issues to GT2000QUEBEC to see if he'd be able to take his current design and simply change the bottom part of it, who said to send him a picture, which i again couldn't do without going through too much hassle.
i was so frustrated i even put my r154 up for sale and wanted to put a SMOOTH, stock tranny in for a while, blow it, and then who knows (6-speed, another r154?)

i ended up finding a replica of the C's short shifter for the non-turbo supra 5-speed, w58 tranny. it LOOKED like it would work, i made a few measurements and played with a few drawings, and decided to order it (NO, i didn't pay the 3 or $400 that a c's shifter costs, f*ckin rats those guys).
so last week when we put my car up on the lift to change my muffler (car was TOOO loud), i changed out the shifter and IT WORKED (obviously). and it was freaking sweet. nice short, crisp, PRECISE shifts. the shifter itself sits slightly lower than the one i have now, which i LOVE

back to problem #1 though, of the shifter sitting too far back to get into 2nd, 4th, and reverse. so drove around a few days with my shifter bezel removed until i went back to the shop, put the stock shifter back in in the meantime, and took my short shifter to a welder today...........

will show results with pictures and videos tomorrow when i put the short shifter back. here's a few teasers in the meantime..

stock shifter that is installed now. with its world-class welding job

the new short shifter. you'll see it better when i pull the stock shifter out, but that ball where the shifter pivots is a good 3/4" higher than stock, making the throws muuuch shorter. and the rubber instulation around the top part of the shifter is much thicker than the stock shifter.

now cut and repositioned :)
moved about 1" to the front, and about 0.5" farther forward than the stock shifter in the first picture

GREATTTTTTT freaking welding job. props to that guy.

Reactions: MX99204

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I was super happy to see this until I figured out I have a mk3 extened and you have a remote shift assembly guess ill have to look for a short shifter on my own haha

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^^ ohh man. so sorry haha. i was hoping that wouldn't happen, i'll put it more clearly at the top of the post..

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
I was super happy to see this until I figured out I have a mk3 extened and you have a remote shift assembly guess ill have to look for a short shifter on my own haha
Search for my R154 shifter option thread. I am using a Ralco short shifter for a W55 tranny. There's a little modification need to be done to the shifter base and an adapter. I have two adapter left over from my last batch. If you need it let me know.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
wow, that looks great leon! but your cars shifter felt better than mine! let me know how everything works out.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^^^ hahaha. well if you thought THAT was nice . . .

i might let you check it out again in two weeks at din's meet ;)

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's not KarlSport exactly, but its damn awesome compared to what it was, and WAYYYYYY more than enough of an improvement (perfect, for my liking) to make me LOVE that tranny now

(the black spot on the shift boot is from where it would rub against itself in 2nd gear, like in the first video. but NO MORE :)))))))))))))))))))))

BEFORE: stock shifter, slightly modified to somewhat fit the center console

AFTER: short shifter, modified to fit the center console properly
(note: it fought me slightly going into 1st gear on one of the passes, but that never happens when the car is running. as smooth as you see it on the other passes is how it normally is)

Reactions: chrisridebike8

·
Registered
465 Posts
What's up buddy, long time no see.
Glad to see your still on the quest for difficult mods.
I don't believe OEM fitment is in your vocabulary, haha.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^^^ duuuuuuuuuude where you been man?? woulda liked to see you at the mega meet last weekend. why don't you come to a small meet we're having on the 18th? (check the south forum)

how's the r154? the 2j swap? what else has been going on?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Everything looks good except those plaid shorts you had. What were you thinking? (j/k man)

Reactions: chrisridebike8

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everything looks good except those plaid shorts you had. What were you thinking? (j/k man)
hahaha i figured i'd get a comment about those. they're pretty long so its not as bad as the video makes it seem.

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
465 Posts
^^^ duuuuuuuuuude where you been man?? woulda liked to see you at the mega meet last weekend. why don't you come to a small meet we're having on the 18th? (check the south forum)

how's the r154? the 2j swap? what else has been going on?
I know man, I've been lost. I'll take look on the south forum to get the details for the meet.
As for my R154, everything is pretty good for the exception of a funky tin can type sound I am getting when the clutch engages and in hard accel or decel. Still trying to figure it out. I did swap the diff for manual LSD like you did.

The swap is still in progress. A bit slower than I would wanted it to because I'm getting married later this year.
Here's a sneak peak!

·
Blue Devil
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MARRIED?!?!?!?!?! woww where have iiiiiiiii been??? girl we spoke about in august?

that engine looks NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE. i see you already changed it to a single. thats a BIG ASS single haha. specs? what else did you change, take apart, redo, etc? (i'm not familiar enough with the 2jz-gte to be able to tell just from looking)

·
Registered
204 Posts
yea ive read it like 5 times since wednesday just to make sure i got everything i need. im gonna start buying parts and putting everything together. should be able to start with the swap within a month or so...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.