Lexus IS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
That would be interesting to see how you did it. Not sure if we can easily or cheaply get the same parts or bulbs here but would be interesting to see, might be able to get something similar to do the job though.
Will snap some pics and make a quick write-up when I pull the fenders off for bodywork/paint in a few weekends. I might also link the parts I used, and tips/things I would do differently if I were to do it again.

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
I got lucky and found a set of GTE VVTi valve covers for a good deal. This wasn't planned, but they match the current exterior of my car perfectly! Best part is, they already had Radium press-fit banjo-swivel -10AN breather fittings already installed, a pleasant surprise :)

I was originally planning on mirror polishing the valve covers and selling the coil cover (and going with a transparent timing belt cover with an ebay "TRD" chrome coil cover). But this looks too clean to pass up. I love the OEM-style silver, I hope my fender paintwork turns out this good lol.

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
It's been months since I've properly driven this thing, let alone wash it or take pictures of it. But I got a chance yesterday to get a few snaps while I did my brother's graduation photoshoot. I love this location, I come here often lol.

I want to go back when all the cosmetics are taken care of, and capture it with my bigger lens to bring the glass building closer in the depth of field.

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
I have a set of significant updates on the setup taking shape. The pistons from Diamond Racing finally arrived at the machine shop. It took about 6 months for the pistons to get made lol, but I'm in no hurry. All the main parts are there now, so the motor is ready for machine work and assembly.

Final part needed is the PHR billet steel tensioner for final assembly/timing. Here's a sneak peek at the GORGEOUS internals for the rotating assembly... I forgot my DSLR at home for this, so there's a couple screenshots from my ig story 😂

Diamond Racing 10:1 compression 86.5mm pistons
Brian Crower ProH2K H-Beam rods
King coated bearings

Almost too pretty to be hidden deep inside a motor lol. This thing will be a piece of art! Can't wait to take some motor build progress shots.

That's not all for this update, I got really lucky with this arriving...

Just happened to message Xcessive on Facebook randomly to nudge them to restock their PnP Link/Panic ECU kits. The response, "Hi there, We actually have one kit ready to go! We got a super limited quantity of ECU's in and I can get you a kit."

What a stroke of pure luck! They had one complete kit, and it happened to be for the 02-05 auto chassis. I had to jump on it immediately!

Even though it is clearly marketed for manual swapped cars only, I was curious if the auto trans would respond at all to shift commands with no communication to an ECU. My logic was, the trans does engage (at least it feels like it does) when shifting into drive/reverse with the engine not running and key off. Maybe it'll do something with a standalone running the motor 🤔

I had the ECU in the car the day after it arrived. It was stupid simple to set up. The base map comes preloaded, the firmware is already up to date, even the steering wheel shift buttons are preconfigured for 2 step/launch control and nitrous! It's a simple procedure to get a stock motor IS running after unboxing...

1. Unhook the battery and remove old ECU
2a. Plug in Link ECU
2b. Hook up the MAP sensor vacuum line to the nipple on the intake manifold Y pipe (it's capped off from the factory)
3.(***) Unplug the MAF sensor and insert the provided boost solenoid/fuel pressure jumper harness in its place.
4. Use the provided USB to install PCLink on a laptop, and hook up that laptop to the ecu via the data cable provided.
5. Reconnect the battery, turn the key to the ON position
6a. Unlock the ECU with the code provided via email after requesting.
7a. Go to ECU Controls >> Setup EThrottle to calibrate the TPS.
7b. MAP/BAP sensor is calibrated when the ECU powers up. Won't hurt to do it again (right below "Setup EThrottle").
8. Under ECU Settings >> EThrottle, there's a configuration display that shows what mode the throttle is in. Make sure it is in "ON" mode and not "Setup" mode. If it's not "ON", set it to "ON".
9. (optional) You can test coil firing (1,2,3 only because wasted spark system) in the "Ignition" menu in ECU Settings.
10. Car should be ready to start. You might have a few errors in the logs, should be okay. You'll notice the RPM needle sweep (I love that lol).

(***): Important, otherwise the ECU will display a wiring fault and won't be able to calibrate the electronic throttle.

To button things up, might be worth it to drill a couple holes in the back corner of the ECU box lid for the vacuum line and USB data cable to go through. It's also worth it to get a USB extension cable (4-5 ft) and run it through the driver side firewall grommet so a laptop can be hooked up from the interior.

Car might take a couple seconds longer than usual to start the very first time. Might get a puff of smoke. Might have to throttle it lightly when it turns over, but the ECU adapts very quickly and the car will idle and rev freely with the provided base map. The car will start and run like stock in subsequent starts. Note the base map has an ignition cut rev limiter set to 3000 rpm. The car is driveable with this map to a tuner for further refining.

It was at this point I shut the hood and wondered if the car will even move with the auto trans. The ECU doesn't talk to it at all. The gauge cluster looks like this...

There is no gear selection. CEL is on because I had it configured as a warning light when there are errors in the ECU log, it's not a big deal. TRAC OFF light is on, probably because the TRAC ecu is not detecting the Link. Also not a big deal, maybe there is a workaround for that, have to look into it. My headlight autoleveling has been on since I swapped the fenders, haven't gotten around to addressing that yet. The car runs well, all the gauges work, idles solid, etc. But the trans has no communication to anything. So I moved the shifter into reverse...

And the car responded! It moves like normal! I backed out of my driveway, put it in D, and it drives down the street shifting gears as usual! This is the trans running purely in zombie mode lol. It only has input shaft and output shaft speeds to decide what to do. There are no ECU commands going to it for shifts, no APPS or TPS signal for kickdown or load information, no shift button signals for M mode. That part of the dash is completely inactive. But the car is drivable under normal conditions from stoplight to stoplight! I can drive it to work like this lol.

For downshifts and kickdowns, I had to gate shift it and rev match (I have plenty of practice doing that in M mode, but it still felt not as natural as there was a slight delay in the trans responding to the gate downshift). I wouldn't mess with it further, it's easy to fry the shift solenoids or clutches/bands if I got too saucy with it. I just putted around and pulled back into the driveway with a massive grin. I give this ECU kit a 10/10. It's an extremely simple, tune-and-go solution!

It's pretty clear why the Xcessive kit is marketed only for manual swaps. Auto trans cars are definitely drivable with the ECU, but it is not ideal. Perhaps something can come in the future to provide trans communication and compatibility for those wishing to run an Aisin auto trans.

One last thing, I ordered the T56 Magnum this weekend... My wallet is sore 🤕🤕

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Almost forgot, what's a QWKSLVR update without some glamor shots? Here's some of my favorite shots on me spoolin' and boolin' with some Supra buddies at the Maryland 2JZ Meet at Airpark on 6/27/2020...

DSC_0742 (2).JPG

DSC_0745 (2).JPG

DSC_0732 (2).JPG

This is down the street from my house haha. The Maryland car scene has really gotten good in recent times 🥴

106454426_2665981943643386_2885548322873708982_o.jpg

DSC_0767 (3).JPG

106396988_2665981916976722_4992469360462534486_o.jpg

I honestly prefer the IS's exterior design over the Supra. It just updates so well, more balanced, lighter, more refined, and is objectively more timeless. I'm obviously biased lol, but I definitely would own a Supra when the day comes. Nothing can compare to the Supra interior, and they certainly have a presence on the road.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Diamond Racing 10:1 compression 86.5mm pistons
View attachment 135438

Almost too pretty to be hidden deep inside a motor lol. This thing will be a piece of art! Can't wait to take some motor build progress shots.
Those pistons look mint, looks like a lot of work has been put into them to remove any sharp edges in the chamber area which is good for removing any chance of detonation. Never seen anyone radius the outer edge before which is interesting, but i can see they have deburred the valve clearance edges by hand with a die grinder. Nice to see the care they have put in, despite taking so long.

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Those pistons look mint, looks like a lot of work has been put into them to remove any sharp edges in the chamber area which is good for removing any chance of detonation. Never seen anyone radius the outer edge before which is interesting, but i can see they have deburred the valve clearance edges by hand with a die grinder. Nice to see the care they have put in, despite taking so long.
It totally made my day that you see all the nerdy details I tend to keep to myself 🤣🤣. My posts are so long as it is lol

I'm a fan of the design and engineering that goes into Diamond Racing internals. Even their LS pistons have the same attention to detail. No sharp edges anywhere, flawless surfaces, coatings, etc. I wish I had an equally clear pic of the ProH2K rods too, I love the engineering that goes into BC rods. They're actually the same exact rod as the top of the line ProH625+ rods that hold 1500+ hp, except these have the ARP2000 rod bolts. Still good for 1100hp lol, I don't plan on ever pushing that kind of power with this build 😂.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It totally made my day that you see all the nerdy details I tend to keep to myself 🤣🤣. My posts are so long as it is lol

I'm a fan of the design and engineering that goes into Diamond Racing internals. Even their LS pistons have the same attention to detail. No sharp edges anywhere, flawless surfaces, coatings, etc. I wish I had an equally clear pic of the ProH2K rods too, I love the engineering that goes into BC rods. They're actually the same exact rod as the top of the line ProH625+ rods that hold 1500+ hp, except these have the ARP2000 rod bolts. Still good for 1100hp lol, I don't plan on ever pushing that kind of power with this build 😂.
I'm a mechanical engineer so those are the details i look for in my day to day work, design into our products, look for when it comes to failure analysis, etc. I also recognize good machining when i see it, i thought if they are going to those lengths they might have used the NC to machine all the radius instead of doing by hand but ... yeah nerdy details my wife laughs and rolls her eyes at :geek: :LOL:

Are they coated as well? If so do you know what they use?

·
Registered
98 Posts
dudeeee ive been waiting for the xcessive link/panic wire ecu kit to get back in stock for a while.
Ended up buying some firearms with the money instead :rolleyes:

Did they say anything to you about when the next batch will be available?

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
I'm a mechanical engineer so those are the details i look for in my day to day work, design into our products, look for when it comes to failure analysis, etc. I also recognize good machining when i see it, i thought if they are going to those lengths they might have used the NC to machine all the radius instead of doing by hand but ... yeah nerdy details my wife laughs and rolls her eyes at :geek: :LOL:

Are they coated as well? If so do you know what they use?
The coating is called "Diamond Like Carbon" or DLC coating. It looks like its the same process and material Rolex uses on their black Oyster watches, since the terminology and finish is the same.

I'd definitely rather have baller pistons with DLC in my 2J than a Rolex with DLC lol

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
dudeeee ive been waiting for the xcessive link/panic wire ecu kit to get back in stock for a while.
Ended up buying some firearms with the money instead :rolleyes:

Did they say anything to you about when the next batch will be available?
They didn't give me a straight answer lol. I made sure to say again and again that there is massive demand for them, so I know they hear us and won't discontinue them (that would be really really unfortunate). They indicated they have the ECU's and boxes in stock, it's the jumper harnesses and wiring that seems to be the bottleneck. Thus they can't complete the kits and the stuff is on backorder.

I really hope Panic Wire works through whatever they are facing because the magic is in their wiring. I would say there is no other ECU that can compare to this kit, since it's so well integrated into the chassis. The backbone of that is in the wiring, and the icing is in the pre-configuration Xcessive does before shipping these out as a full replacement ECU.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Interesting, its basically similar to the diamond coating we see at work on milling cutters. Super hard and wear resistant, low coefficient of friction . . . im starting to nerd myself out now lol. Looks like its used a lot on valves and other moving parts so would be perfect for pistons, help reduce any risk of picking up or galling the aluminium.

·
Registered
98 Posts
They didn't give me a straight answer lol. I made sure to say again and again that there is massive demand for them, so I know they hear us and won't discontinue them (that would be really really unfortunate). They indicated they have the ECU's and boxes in stock, it's the jumper harnesses and wiring that seems to be the bottleneck. Thus they can't complete the kits and the stuff is on backorder.

I really hope Panic Wire works through whatever they are facing because the magic is in their wiring. I would say there is no other ECU that can compare to this kit, since it's so well integrated into the chassis. The backbone of that is in the wiring, and the icing is in the pre-configuration Xcessive does before shipping these out as a full replacement ECU.
Seems the ecu/panic wire setup is completely removed from xcessive's website. i guess thats a wrap lol
you may have just gotten the last kit available (y)

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Seems the ecu/panic wire setup is completely removed from xcessive's website. i guess thats a wrap lol
you may have just gotten the last kit available (y)
Saw that yesterday when I was trying to find the product description to review one more time. I should've saved the actual webpage for future reference lol. Maybe Google has a cache of it.

Covid took the Xcessive Link from us too, I can't wait until it's behind us 😡😡. I believe it will be back as soon as things become normal again. It might only be temporarily down since it's probably getting too hard to get all the components there and assemble them as kits.

·
Registered
145 Posts
glad to see a review on the most common since ecu setup to go with on our chassis. i hope more people see this and read. just sucks thats its going to be awhile before we can get one .

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
I hope @XcessiveManufacturing sees this. I made sure to message that there's a ton of demand for the kit still. It was one of the main reasons I started this build actually, this and the T56 swap kits that are out for the IS platform. It's a combo I couldn't stop daydreaming about, so I pulled the trigger.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I hope @XcessiveManufacturing sees this. I made sure to message that there's a ton of demand for the kit still. It was one of the main reasons I started this build actually, this and the T56 swap kits that are out for the IS platform. It's a combo I couldn't stop daydreaming about, so I pulled the trigger.
I messaged Xcessive about the Link ECU kit and they responded by confirming that this kit is not coming back but they are working on a different solution. Mark Panic also confirmed via email inquiry that this is not being produced any longer.

·
Registered
MSM 2005 Lexus IS300 5AT
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I messaged Xcessive about the Link ECU kit and they responded by confirming that this kit is not coming back but they are working on a different solution. Mark Panic also confirmed via email inquiry that this is not being produced any longer.
Ah frick. That felt like a punch in the gut. I just came across this update from a friend who works at Xcessive about when the ECU kits will be available again...

There's still hope. Just have to hang tight until stuff opens up again.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts