Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!

I did some searching, but nothing that I found really applies to my weird question :).

I just installed an Alpine head unit (see pics below) and I have a whining engine noise. I know this is usually because there is power running too close to RCA's. I mounted the "brain" of the unit under the passenger seat and ran all the wires under the carpet, through the center console, and into the head unit. The RCA's are running right with the main bundle of wires (not my brightest moment) and I was wondering if I would be able to get away with running a set of shielded RCA's in place of the normal ones, or if I should just reroute the RCA's that I all ready have.

Any suggestions would be great! I know rerouting the RCA's should fix the problem, but then I have to rerun my power and remote wires from where they are now. It would be much easier to pull through some shielded RCA's.

Here are the pics:

No worries, I promise I'm not going to leave the dash looking like that! This was the test fit. I am fiber-glassing a new dash kit for it this weekend. Thanks for any help!

Chris

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yea, it's free...and more likely to solve your problem...you don't wanna take the risk of buying something that's not guaranteed to work.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I was thinking. It will make things more interesting with the wiring for the amp if I reroute the RCA's onto the passenger side. That was the only reason to considering the shielded RCA's. I didn't know if anyone had any success with the shielded RCA's.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
can you re-route your power wire to go on the passenger side? i assume this is the side that your power wires are run to your amp?

just leave the RCAs in the middle like they are.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All right, I rerouted the RCA's to go under the glove box and down the passenger door sill and to the brain under the passenger seat. The engine noise is still there!

Should I try the new RCA's because the ones that are in there are not the highest quality? Or is there a chance that the wiring harness is bad?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
All right, I rerouted the RCA's to go under the glove box and down the passenger door sill and to the brain under the passenger seat. The engine noise is still there!

Should I try the new RCA's because the ones that are in there are not the highest quality? Or is there a chance that the wiring harness is bad?

Thanks guys!
I would try a different ground for your amp. I'm assuming you have an amp since you're running RCAs somewhere :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input! There is no amp other than the factory ones. The RCS's are running from the dash (behind the headunit), under the glove box, underneath the carpet by the doorsill, and plugged in to the brain of the head unit under the passenger seat.

The ground is the factory ground for the head unit.

Jameelrose: Yes I am running the TYTO-01. Is this something to do with that wiring harness?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update! I am really baffled now...

This morning, I turn the car on to go to work and everything loads up normally but there is no engine noise! The iPod shows that it is playing, but there is no sound at all, nothing from the radio tuner either. I have no clue.

There must be something wrong with either the RCA's or the wiring harness, right? Everything else appears to be functional, but there is no sound at all.

Let me know what you gurus think! Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
154 Posts
yes, that harness is known to cause engine noise. there are a couple posts around explaining the issuse. i had the same problem with mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If everything appears to be on and functional I would suspect something with the metra harness. If something was wrong with it, be it a connection or the unit itself, your stock amps would not turn on and you would have no sound. Plus, there are more odds of something being wrong with the Metra than a simple RCA that you just plug in.
On the other hand, you pretty much have to take out the deck to see either of those items so you may as well check both. Good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If everything appears to be on and functional I would suspect something with the metra harness. If something was wrong with it, be it a connection or the unit itself, your stock amps would not turn on and you would have no sound. Plus, there are more odds of something being wrong with the Metra than a simple RCA that you just plug in.
On the other hand, you pretty much have to take out the deck to see either of those items so you may as well check both. Good luck.
Yeah, I have the removal of the deck down to a science by now :). I'm going to check all the connections tonight and see what I can find. It sounds to me like the harness is bad, but I'm not sure. I suppose the harness could have caused the engine noise I mentioned earlier, but the RCA's seemed more logical.

I did a quick search to find if anyone had any trouble with the Metra kit and couldn't find anything. Is there anyone out there that has had problems?

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It doesn't appear that anything is loose behind the head unit. Anyone have any ideas? I think I may have to take it in and have it looked at!

·
Registered
75 Posts
If I were you I would take everything apart again and start from scratch before I turned my car in a paid for someone to troubleshoot it. More than likely there is just something dumb/simple going on that you are overlooking. If you have had as much trouble as I did when I installed my D3 you can probably take everything apart and put it back together in just a few minutes by now anyway.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts