Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering when crusing in DRIVE mode can i push the shift over a down shift while moving into a certain gear?

Also if i am cruising at 45 what gear do i drop into?

thanx

·
8,849 Posts
Yes, you may move the shifter over from "D" to "M" while cruizing.
The "M" mode always goes to 5 whenever it is turned on. 5 is the same as "D" Unless you are accelerating, the car will be in 5th gear when going 45 MPH. If you need to downshift, press "Down" key. The result will be increased RPMs and more engine power, as well as more gas consumption while accelerating.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
putting it into manual mode is fun :D

heres the shift times approximately..it depends once you start driving it
you can hear the engine and feel the car and will know when to change gears.

but anywayz pop it into manual and downshift all da way down to 2 which is 1.

2-3: 25

3-4: 40

4-5: 45

as avg. slow driver meaning you barely press the pedal you should change around there otherwise you will be revving the car more and it wouldnt feel smooth

if you drive fast it will be like this for example

2-3: 52

3-4: 80

4-5: depends.

if you drive faster than normal it be around here:

2-3: 30 or 40 depending how much you press the pedal

3-4: 42 or 50

4-5: not needed unless you goin faster..

i think i change gears around 3k on the rpm..jus after awhile of drivin u will know wen to change gears dependin on how hard or soft you are pressin on the pedal.

also to answer your question: Also if i am cruising at 45 what gear do i drop into?

gear 4

and you can downshift wit yer car to make it go faster or go wit the current mph sometimes it helps u brake or wutever..if say you are goin 90 and you try to downshift to 4th gear it wont let u tho so dont worry if you will mess up with shifting the is300 will save u from messin it up at times.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Hirun said:

actually I think when you go down to 2, you pop it to the right (into "L") to get into first.

·
8,849 Posts
A few thinigs I noticed reading through:
Hirun said:

heres the shift times approximately..it depends once you start driving it
you can hear the engine and feel the car and will know when to change gears.

2-3: 25

3-4: 40

4-5: 45

as avg. slow driver meaning you barely press the pedal you should change around there otherwise you will be revving the car more and it wouldnt feel smooth

if you drive fast it will be like this for example

2-3: 52

3-4: 80 78MPH

4-5: depends.

if you drive faster than normal it be around here:

2-3: 30 or 40 depending how much you press the pedal

3-4: 42 or 50

4-5: not needed unless you goin faster..

i think i change gears around 3k on the rpm..jus after awhile of drivin u will know wen to change gears dependin on how hard or soft you are pressin on the pedal.

also to answer your question: Also if i am cruising at 45 what gear do i drop into?

gear 4 5th gear

and you can downshift wit yer car to make it go faster or go wit the current mph sometimes it helps u brake or wutever..if say you are goin 90 121 and you try to downshift to 4th gear it wont let u tho
so dont worry if you will mess up with shifting the is300 will save u from messin it up at times.

·
8,849 Posts
blueIS said:
if you chuck the shifter to L, it'll downshift to 1 only at 10mph (unless you're flooring it at 20mph)
Why would someone want to move the shifter to "L"? Just floor the gas pedal and it will do it for you. The rest is just pushing the entertainment-shift buttons. For a true manual feel, manual transmission is required.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
eshift gets a feel of manual at least wit my car it seems like my toyota celica.

also using l-3-d-m is wack. mess up yer tranny in da long run u can sure try it but yea..also use l for 1? l is 1 and 2 same wit eshift 2 = 1 & 2 u cant control 1st gear but u can tell wen it is cuz it downshifts

also goin 45 mph in 5th gear is correct but 4th for faster.

80 mph 78mph is correct i jus est. it was 80 from wut i remember wen i drove.

and yea if u r goin 90 it wont let u downshift u will hear a beep beep well at least for me. i downshift around 70 to race and dis car upshift to 5 wen i floor it at around 80 it always upshift rite wen before i hit da button 2. :pissed:

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
mite i add, auto is slower den eshift. u dont believe me? time your 0-30, 0-60. da only way its slower is if u sux at eshift :eek: << embarassing

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
ahhhh this site need a grammar check. "l-3-d-m" will mess up your car, since those points are scattered in random places of the gate shifter :lol:

eshift sucks at straight-line.....gateshift baby

anyways, I use the 'L' spot so I can hold first as long as I can. good for racing

·
8,849 Posts
Hirun said:
eshift gets a feel of manual at least wit my car it seems like my toyota celica.

also using l-3-d-m is wack. mess up yer tranny in da long run u can sure try it but yea..also use l for 1? l is 1 and 2 same wit eshift 2 = 1 & 2 u cant control 1st gear but u can tell wen it is cuz it downshifts

also goin 45 mph in 5th gear is correct but 4th for faster.

80 mph 78mph is correct i jus est. it was 80 from wut i remember wen i drove.

and yea if u r goin 90 it wont let u downshift u will hear a beep beep well at least for me. i downshift around 70 to race and dis car upshift to 5 wen i floor it at around 80 it always upshift rite wen before i hit da button 2. :pissed:
Celica e-shift and IS300 e-shift are different!!!
It is also L-2-3-M-D.
The red line for 4th gear in IS300 e-shift is 120 MPH. It will downshift while going 100 MPH into 4th from 5th no problem.
If you are cruizing @ 45 MPH, putting the car in 4th gear will not make it "faster" because you are still moving at the speed of 45 MPH! The RPMs will rise, however.

·
8,849 Posts
scottschoe said:
eshift sucks at straight-line.....gateshift baby

anyways, I use the 'L' spot so I can hold first as long as I can. good for racing
Press ECT-PWR button.
Put car in "M"-"2"
Floor it.
Watch the tach reach red-line in first.
Can't really hold it any longer than that.
No need for gate-shifting.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
my celica was manual not eshift.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.