Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found myself passing a Jag dealer today and stopped in to look at the new Jag. Didn't spend much time driving the car, but here goes anyway. The car I drove was a 3.0l non-sport auto car. The exterior of the car looks like a small version of the XJ car although the salesman said that it has the largest trunk of any Jag.

The interior looks like a slightly less luxurious Jag and the back seat appeared bigger than all in it's class.

The driving experience was limited and it was an auto, but it had a nice growl under full throttle and had pretty good pickup. Not sure if it was quicker or slower than the Lexus, probably about the same.

Overall, nice car, but suited for an older crowd. Just can't see drifting this car through a sweeping corner.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Isn't X-Type an AWD?? With AWD and still accelerates like an IS300?? Hm.. must be one hell of a car..

Andy Kuo

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3.0 litre engine with a manual is rated at 6.6 seconds for the 0-60 jaunt; I can't find the figures for the auto, but it must be around 7.1 which rings a faint bell. Like I said, my drive was limited due to a lack of time and I really only intended to drop by and see if it was worth a further look.

I've driven everything in this class except of course the 2002 Audi A4 and I will say that I am struck by how nice all of the cars are. They are all different so some degree, but realistically I would not say that I couldn't drive one or the other on a regular basis.

I still feel that there may be two main classes of vehicle in terms of driving dynamics: more sport and less sport.

The more sport would be the IS300 and the BMW while the Jag and Merc would fall into the less sport. I am also biased in favor of manual transmissions in my thinking of how sporty a car is. I realize this isn't for everyone, but then again it's my car and not theirs.

I've heard good things about the new Audi and want to drive the 3.0 with the manual (I've heard it might be a six speed) and will drive the Jag at the same time as well as the IS300. While Mercedes offers a manual, it is only in the C240 which really didn't do it for me. It's a shame as I really was surprised by the C320, but it's still an auto.

This procrastination in buying a car has really paid off since the offerings only get better and more of them. BTW, the BMW is changing their steering for my2002 to a more driver's oriented steering. I haven't heard if this is for all the models or only for the sport package cars.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
The 3-series compact has a newly-designed steering rack, which is being installed on the rest of the 3-series line-up, regardless of sport package.

Originally posted by ralittle2:
BTW, the BMW is changing their steering for my2002 to a more driver's oriented steering. I haven't heard if this is for all the models or only for the sport package cars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
JW
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing