Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a few months ago i picked up a cyber2 bodykit which has been sitting in my garage until i could figure out what i wanted to do, and i finally decided to throw it on. now, if i go to a shop around here it will cost me 3500$+ to get the kit put on and the car painted. i am just wondering how hard it would be for a first-timer to mount a bodykit and line it up pretty good, just to knock of quite a bit of that bill. i got a body who does minor bodywork, but nothing with installing kits. so any adive to help out some noobs would be greatly appreciated!

ps. i am repainting the entire car, thats why the cost is so high o_O

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
welllll put it this way, if its your first time and are kinda iffy about doing it, don't
your body kit sounds fiberglass, so if you paint it, and then want to try to install it. sayyy ummm the paint cracks? yeah your screwed, just pay the money and get it done right, AND cyber2 sounds like it will have fitment issues. $3500 to paint/install? geez get a couple of estimates, i'm sure painting the whole car and the shop installing the kit you can get some sort of better deal?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welllll put it this way, if its your first time and are kinda iffy about doing it, don't
your body kit sounds fiberglass, so if you paint it, and then want to try to install it. sayyy ummm the paint cracks? yeah your screwed, just pay the money and get it done right, AND cyber2 sounds like it will have fitment issues. $3500 to paint/install? geez get a couple of estimates, i'm sure painting the whole car and the shop installing the kit you can get some sort of better deal?

3500$ is actually the lowest quote i have gotten so far. i have a couple more shops on my list to call, but i am kinda picky when it comes to bodywork/paint. i dont want some half-asser to do it. i like to find shops with good reputations, you know?

ps. actually, an important bit of info i left out in the original post. i actually did try fitting the front bumper, i kind of just hung it up with boxes to support it, and it lined up decently, im sure once some holes were drilled and i started the mounting process the front MIGHT be ok, but the rear is a whole nother story, i havent had the chance to look at it yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Almost all type of body kits never fit nice especially cheaper/ebay ones
The only one I have personally seen fit almost perfect was BN Sports

If I were you I would get a shop to do it, $3500 isnt that bad of a price if they are also painting the whole car, but then again its all about the quality of the work like you said.
Its better to pay more and have it done right the first time then having to pay a second time to fix another shops shotty body work

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the suggestions... im going to continue to look around for a decent bodyshop to install/paint

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
?? All quality body kits fit regardless of what material they are made out of. Chargespeed and Veilside are two examples, they're FRP that come pre-drilled, and I know first hand that chargespeed has OE quality fit. I'd imagine Vertex, CWest, Rando, ect also have OE quality fit.

If you have a couple people there to help you it's really easy to test fit a body kit. I'd say give it a try and see how far off it is before paying a shop $3500, or a least get a break down of what they are actually billing you $3500 for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts