Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted in the subject I have a RF Punch 801S amp with a (1) 12" MTX 9500 Sub in a custom box (sealed). I have noticed that our trunks are insulated pretty good and I just got the system connected and I find that I need more power so that it can hit a little harder.

I had a friend do the install for me and we figure the amp is giving out 300 watts of power or so to the sub. Now the sub can handle up to 1000watts rms, but I would like to get it so that 500-600 watts are given to the sub.
My question/dilemma:
(I don't know as much as others about car audio, but am learning)
Currently the amp is setup bridged and is connected only to the 12" sub. My amp is rated at: 400 Watts RMS this being 400 W X 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS . I'm running 4 gauge wire for power. My amp states that if bridged I can get 800 watts rms out of it: 800 W X 1 @ 4 Ohms Bridged RMS . Can someone enlighten me as to why I am getting only 300 watts out of the amp when it's currently bridged? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I beleive I answered part of my own question. The actual sub is a dual-voice coil over at 4 ohms. So it is connected I assume at: 200 W X 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS to my amp and would explain why I am getting 300 watts or so as I am in fact hitting the max of the amp.

This would mean I would need a second amp if I wanted more out of the sub.

Now the question comes to power I suppose. If I purchase a second 801S RF and connect it, would I run into power issues with the stock battery? I would then be pushing 500-600 watts to the sub.

·
8,849 Posts
I guess you have 2x 4 ohm coils.
You can either get 8 or 2 ohm from them.
In order to run 800 WT, you need 4 ohm.
You can either replace the sub, or add/replace amp.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it all out. No need for an extra amp, turns out a fuse was blown all along that was preventing any real power to get to the amp. Fixed that and now the thing really can hit, and sounds great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts